2018-2019 NHL Season

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Probably at some point in the 2003-04 season when the finished second last (20 wins - 59 points) by a point to the Penguins.

Washington finished on 59 points as well.

That resulted in the Ovechkin-Malkin-Barker draft.
Yeah, that’s about the period I was thinking. Any chance of a fire sale anytime soon?

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
Good lord Hyman .. just a little late bud
Worrying signs for 31 year-old M.E. Vlasic in the first year of a very long, rather large contract...

Seabrook ver 2.0
Shea Weber
Karl Alzner

If you're implying that Vlasic didn't earn a big multi year deal from being one of the better quietly solid D men in the league, you'd be wrong. You'd also be wrong if he has undone his years of good play with one 30 game stretch to start a season.

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle

Shea Weber
Karl Alzner

If you're implying that Vlasic didn't earn a big multi year deal from being one of the better quietly solid D men in the league, you'd be wrong. You'd also be wrong if he has undone his years of good play with one 30 game stretch to start a season.

I don’t live in the past.

“Worrying signs” was the thought.

My thoughts on the Alzner and Weber acquisitions are well known on these boards.

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
Two game suspension. Ridiculous if you ask me. Seen worse hits than that this season that didn't even get a penalty let alone suspended. He was well late and a misconduct was warranted. But it wasn't high. He got his shoulder into his chest. Apparently that is worth the same as sucker punching someone from the bench...

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Two game suspension. Ridiculous if you ask me. Seen worse hits than that this season that didn't even get a penalty let alone suspended. He was well late and a misconduct was warranted. But it wasn't high. He got his shoulder into his chest. Apparently that is worth the same as sucker punching someone from the bench...
I think that's adequate....still pretty dirty to blindside a guy that late...I have a feeling of he came from in front of McAvoy nothing would have resulted and barely any contact would have happened.

If he was that upset about McAvoy giving a shove to Marner earlier, fair enough, whatever. It just needed a less clumsy way of getting back at someone that's all.

For what it's worth I think Carlo and Kadri settled the beef way better that game and got it out of their system to get back to playing hockey.

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
You literally typed Seabrook 2.0 directly afterward.

I don't think you were particularly worried about anything.

better than replying with irrelevant information about his past...

We’ll see if Vlasic can successfully negate the over 30 yo significant drop off in play/production, not many do.

Seabrook is “only” 33 years old and his significant drop off coincided with the age of 30/31, his contract is near on exactly the same as Vlasic’s in age at time of signing, term and length.

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
better than replying with irrelevant information about his past...

We’ll see if Vlasic can successfully negate the over 30 yo significant drop off in play/production, not many do.

Seabrook is “only” 33 years old and his significant drop off coincided with the age of 30/31, his contract is near on exactly the same as Vlasic’s in age at time of signing, term and length.
There is a fairly solid list of guys that have played elite hockey well into their 30s aswell and earned every penny of decent cap and term.

You implying that players suddenly are unable to justify any sort of significant cap slice because they're 30 is ridiculous when there are 3 walking and talking examples to the contrary skating around on his team.

The sharks team that competed for the cup a couple of years back had a lot of those guys.

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is a fairly solid list of guys that have played elite hockey well into their 30s aswell and earned every penny of decent cap and term.

and there is a big(ger) list of players that haven't played elite hockey into the 30s after signing big contracts based on past performances.

You implying that players suddenly are unable to justify any sort of significant cap slice because they're 30 is ridiculous when there are 3 walking and talking examples to the contrary skating around on his team.

Reel it in with thinking i am implying "every player" can't justify their over 30 years of age contract, I'm saying a significant number.

and the drop off is not as ridiculous as you think, not ridiculous at all.

A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters

How do NHL players age? When do they peak? How quickly do they decline?

Rob Vollman summarizes this quite well in his book Stat Shot: The Ultimate Guide to Hockey Analytics: “Most players hit their peak age by age 24 or 25 then decline gradually until age 30, at which point their performance can begin to tumble more noticeably with the risk of absolute collapse by age 34 or 35.”

The sharks team that competed for the cup a couple of years back had a lot of those guys.

Not that many...
Their high performers that season/playoffs were:
Hertl 22yo
Jones 25yo
Couture 26yo
Vlasic 28yo
Burns 30yo
Pavelski 31yo, NHL debut at 22yo
Ward was 35yo but he was a late starter, NHL debut at 26yo
Thornton 36yo
Marleau was somewhat quiet at 36yo dropping 10 points per season for two years - the drop off! ;)

and let's not forget, M-E Vlasic has played 1048 NHL games, not to mention 29 games wearing the red and white. :thumbsu:
That's a lot of wear and tear.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Down 3-0 before we've registered a shot on goal. Woof :oops:

Air Conveyance

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2007
New Plymouth, New Zealand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LFC, Flames, Sabres, Bills
image0-1-jpg.164279

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Back to back hat tricks for the Great 8 as the Caps rally from 4-1 down to win it in the circus trick session.
Must be the day for squandering a 3 goal lead and settling for a point as Vegas and the Rags did likewise

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
nhl refs get decision right, told not to do it again

also nhl refs, knee on knee hit not called

I thought the ref got it spot on with Tarasenko. Don’t have an issue at all with it being a minor.
Was the Brouwer hit today as I haven’t seen it as am watching the Caps?
Saw a little bit of the Sens v Habs during our intermission and it looked to be getting quite heated

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
4 games went to O/T tonight with the final score being 4-3 with the home side winning each game!

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
We really should have finished Buffalo off in regulation but happy to take the points even if it was in the circus session again.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
I count five games going to OT. Missing Ducks vs BJs (2-1)?

Jonathan Huberdeau is racking up the points this season. 36 points from 30 games.

Was more pointing out that there was 4 games with the exact same score going to O/T with the home team winning all 4.

No one talks about Dadonov at all, but he has been pretty damn good since coming back into the NHL.

Back