News New Premier Partner - Starfish Developments

Remove this Banner Ad

As Starfish Developments CEO Damon Nagel said in the presser that's up on PTV, said this is a 2 year sponsorship, but their development will take 6 to 8 years and they will reassess things at 2 years which should mean they stay at the Premier Partner level for that 6 to 8 years if the club works the partnership well.

He said "We decided that to show our commitment by providing a 2 year contribution to be with the club, and if all goes well, (turns and looks at KT) we can talk further. The development is actually a lot longer than a 2 year development, it will run for about 6 to 8 years."

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/vi...fish-partner-on-joint-vision-for-the-port-ptv

Adelaide needs another half a million people for these ventures to be successful.
To fill 750 apartments? Have you heard they are going to build things at Osborne over the next 50 years.

To fill 750 apartments? Have you heard they are going to build things at Osborne over the next 50 years.

Sure, but ask yourself, would you invest in one? Newport Quays was a disaster.

Port has great potential, but in my humble opinion, for Adelaide, it's just a bit far from the city. The Peninsula is like another world for 90% of Adelaideans. Unless we had a greater critical mass of people where it's still "cool" to live 15km out of town, in an apartment, I just dont see it being all that successful. Heaps of medium/high density is not a good idea for Port Adelaide.

Port has great potential, but in my humble opinion, for Adelaide, it's just a bit far from the city. The Peninsula is like another world for 90% of Adelaideans. Unless we had a greater critical mass of people where it's still "cool" to live 15km out of town, in an apartment, I just dont see it being all that successful. Heaps of medium/high density is not a good idea for Port Adelaide.
Why was Newport Quays a disaster? Every unit they built ended up selling. It was all the bullshit around it that it doesnt fit into the look of the Port, that put the bad PR on them and the developer didn't proceed to the final stages. IIRC 2 stages of 4 were built.

Would I buy it as an investment - no. Would I buy it as a place to live? Yes if I worked around the area especially in the Osborne area as I would probably want to live closer to work, than a 20-25 km drive every day to work.

My first choice would be the beach if I lived close to the Port. The key is the price they are pitching it at and to whom.

Why have thousands of people moved to go and live in Mt Barker on a 400 sqm block? That's hardly a country lifestyle, especially if you are driving down the highway to work in Adelaide everyday.

People buy houses in different areas for different reasons. 750 new homes at Dock One and another 500 at Fletcher's Slip isn't going to be such a radical change that it requires millionaires to buy them. Look at both Starfish Developments and Cedar Woods websites and their plans - they are targeting mainly families not young single or couple hipsters who want an apartment in the city. But there is enough variety for everyone.

Get rid of Adelaide Brighton Cement and the Port will boom.

Last edited:

Mawson Lakes seems to have gone ok - provided they are priced appropriately, there is no reason why they wouldnt sell.

Adelaide needs another half a million people for these ventures to be successful.

Wouldn't be a problem if we had the jobs available. We really need to be a hub for something instead of relying on federal contracts and state gov jobs. Need to encourage people to start a business, any business and help them to succeed.

Why was Newport Quays a disaster? Every units they built ended up selling. It was all the bullshit around it that it doesnt fit into the look of the Port, that put the bad PR on them and the developer didnt proceed to the final stages. IIRC 2 stages of 4 were built.

Would I buy it as an investment - no. Would I buy it as a place to live? Yes if I worked around the area especially in the Osborne area as I would probably want to live closer to work, than a 20-25 km drive every day to work.

My first choice would be the beach if I lived close to the Port. The key is the price they are pitching it at and to whom.

Why have thousands of people moved to go and live in Mt Barker on a 400 sqm block? That's hardly a country lifestyle, especially if you are driving down the highyway to work in Adelaide everyday.

People buy houses in different areas for different reasons. 750 new homes at Dock One and another 500 at Fletcher's Slip isn't going to be such a radical change that it requires millionaires to buy them. Look at both Starfish Developments and Cedar Woods websites and their plans - they are targeting mainly families not young single or couple hipsters who want an apartment in the city. But there is enough variety for everyone.

They market St Clair as cosmopolitan living near the beach Iso see no reason the Starfish development should have any problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree totally. This is exactly what I meant in my post on the last page, that it's not really very desirable to live in relatively high cost, high density housing in an area that isn't in or adjacent to the CBD.

Why was Newport Quays a disaster? Every units they built ended up selling. It was all the bullshit around it that it doesnt fit into the look of the Port, that put the bad PR on them and the developer didnt proceed to the final stages. IIRC 2 stages of 4 were built.

Why have thousands of people moved to go and live in Mt Barker on a 400 sqm block? That's hardly a country lifestyle, especially if you are driving down the highyway to work in Adelaide everyday.

IMO, the developer will want big dollars and they'll position it at higher end waterside living. If that happens, the pricepoint will mainly attract investors, who will struggle to get the rent that they'd hope to get given what they'll pay for the apartment/townhouse, because nobody wants to pay a big rent to live that far from the CBD.

I see this as effectively a dockside Lightsview, and my friends who have built in Lightsview don't like the area enough to live in, but can't get the rent they thought they'd get when they signed up, and this will have an even tighter rent price squeeze because (IMO) the developer will charge more for the dwellings because it's waterside.

The Port has huge potential but I don't see it happening with lots of high density housing developments, and that's all developers will be interested in.

Mawson Lakes seems to have gone ok - provided they are priced appropriately, there is no reason why they wouldnt sell.

The suburban area of Mawson Lakes is excellent. It's only issue is the rabbit warren nature of the street layout, but that's a product of it's time, every suburb that went up around the same time has the same stupid problem. The Bridges area is really nice as well.

But the area around Main Street that is all apartment buildings and townhouses piled on top of one another? I don't think it's nearly as nice a place to live as the people who bought in would hoped. It was positioned as a sexy new hi-tech business hub in the 90s when it was going up, but it's mostly full of students and people on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum.

Myatm vibes

Either you have no idea about Starfish as a company or you massively overestimated MyATM.

MyATM was barely a business idea, let alone a company with a track record.

... The Peninsula is like another world for 90% of Adelaideans. Unless we had a greater critical mass of people where it's still "cool" to live 15km out of town, in an apartment, I just dont see it being all that successful. Heaps of medium/high density is not a good idea for Port Adelaide.
Yeah, Port Adelaide is certainly no Mawson Lakes.

Edit: Boxx beat me to it

Any development needs soul.

They need to make sure that they attract top scale restaurants, cafes and bars along the foreshore area so the people who are living there have places to go that are attractive enough that they don’t feel like they need to go to the CBD in their downtime. A cinema complex, an old school arcade where they have all the old games from childhood...actually celebrate the old world feel and turn it into a playground.

Just for once, don’t do the typical South Australian half assed version of development and expect others to pick up the slack. And FFS, don’t do the other typically South Australian thing and say it won’t work and then never go there just to prove yourself right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back