Is the Dogs Prelim the Greatest Moment in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
July 29, 1969 was a monumental day in history. As Neil Armstrong placed the first footprint on the moon, like a well rehearsed stage play....the Western Suburbs erupted and everyone was relieved as Russia had lost the ‘quest to be the best’, in fact Australia were heroes as we had a telescope that looked in the general vicinity of the whole stage-play thingo - long story short in was the first time anything of significance had occured since 1954.

Enter 2016. The Bulldogs travel to the concrete jungles of Western Sydney with a crippled bunch of ‘goers’ against an elite android prototype mutant fueled by the cash of olygarchs from the blue-ribbon suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney. As the experimental bunch of sycophants were busy clawing away a lifetime dream from over 4 million blue collar peasants of Australia someone stood up.

Clay Roderick Smith has one joint left with a sceric of cartilage - The knuckle of his middle finger. As he extended the said knuckle to the 47 supporters in the velvet covered seats of the GWS members I wondered: is this the greatest moment in human civilisation?

Thoughts?

It was the greatest weekend in the history of weekends :) The atmosphere at the ground was amazing, being with so many legitimate, hardcore Dogs fans at an oppositions ground was just something so different.

What about the atmosphere at the pub before the game "the brewery". Bulldogs supporter took over the place. All supporters getting a cheer on arrival, theme song played a few times. Then back after the game to watch the replay again.

Second favourite bulldog win of all time, yet the most emotional.

When I’m having a s**t day and some campaigner wants to f*ck with me at work I just think about the Bont strutting into goal twenty out with 7 to go in the last and campaigner my own pants, oh yeh, oh yeh Jesus
The tone of that roar as Bont kicked that goal was incredible. Hearing the replay it was almost a collective "yeah!!!!" from a crowd that was 20,000 but sounded like 200,000.

The Greatest most Emotional footy game in my life and I ain’t no teenager... Words can’t explain the relief/disbelief/jubilation I felt standing on foreign turf with my Bulldog brethren as our players fought like no other Doggies team in history.... The week after was alright as well just quietly haha....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking about this moment to some friends the other day. Probably one of the most amazing events I've experienced in my life. The trip up there in the bus, rushing onto the ground after the win, passing out on the bus ride home. The look on Heath Shaw's face after the siren sounded will forever be a go-to pick me up memory when I'm feeling down.

I have to ask, cos I couldn’t go but my nephews did and were just as emotional about this as the greatest day, but IF WE LOST THE GRAND FINAL would the Prelim still be the greatest day in history? Or is it the greatest day BECAUSE WE WON THE GRAND FINAL? I went crazy in front of the TV when we beat GWS but that whole Grand Final week, including finding out at 8:30 Monday night I secured STANDING tickets for the GF and the emotion that welled up inside as I grabbed my kids when Picken kicked that last goal was incredible. It seems though I’m a second rate supporter because I’m not one of the special group at Spotless who shared that special bond. Wouldn’t swap it for the Grand Final WIN ever. But don’t begrudge the joy felt by the “Spotless Specials”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But don’t begrudge the joy felt by the “Spotless Specials”
And now our gang, or cult, has a name. The “Spotless Specials”. We have our very own kool aid - luke warm cider.

Every sound seems louder, colours appear more vivid, life is generally better for the “Spotless Specials”.

I have to ask, cos I couldn’t go but my nephews did and were just as emotional about this as the greatest day, but IF WE LOST THE GRAND FINAL would the Prelim still be the greatest day in history? Or is it the greatest day BECAUSE WE WON THE GRAND FINAL? I went crazy in front of the TV when we beat GWS but that whole Grand Final week, including finding out at 8:30 Monday night I secured STANDING tickets for the GF and the emotion that welled up inside as I grabbed my kids when Picken kicked that last goal was incredible. It seems though I’m a second rate supporter because I’m not one of the special group at Spotless who shared that special bond. Wouldn’t swap it for the Grand Final WIN ever. But don’t begrudge the joy felt by the “Spotless Specials”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is saying you are a 2nd rate supporter. I'm just saying if you weren't there you'll never know what it was like. I'm not saying that yours and anyone else's experience was not great, just that it was not at the place where it happened.

There are many reasons why I got more enjoyment and felt more emotional after the PF than I did the GF.

1. The lead up to the game at the pub. The bond between everyone that had travelled and the sense of excitement but pure fear.

2. After being at all 7 losing PF's and the pain that everyone of them caused, to finally win one and break the hoodoo was so special.

3. Sitting together with my 15 family and friends, something I wasn't able to do at the GF.

4. The after party at the Novotel with many former bulldog players and seeing the joy on their and all bulldog supporters faces.

GF day was special, but for me, GF day and the week leading up doesn't happen without PF. When we won the PF, I could finally look forward getting my hands on GF tickets, going to a GF week training session and the GF parade.

Let's hope we get to experience it all again one day soon.

No one is saying you are a 2nd rate supporter. I'm just saying if you weren't there you'll never know what it was like. I'm not saying that yours and anyone else's experience was not great, just that it was not at the place where it happened.

There are many reasons why I got more enjoyment and felt more emotional after the PF than I did the GF.

1. The lead up to the game at the pub. The bond between everyone that had travelled and the sense of excitement but pure fear.

2. After being at all 7 losing PF's and the pain that everyone of them caused, to finally win one and break the hoodoo was so special.

3. Sitting together with my 15 family and friends, something I wasn't able to do at the GF.

4. The after party at the Novotel with many former bulldog players and seeing the joy on their and all bulldog supporters faces.

GF day was special, but for me, GF day and the week leading up doesn't happen without PF. When we won the PF, I could finally look forward getting my hands on GF tickets, going to a GF week training session and the GF parade.

Let's hope we get to experience it all again one day soon.

The above 4 dotes points are me exactly, probably spoke to you at either the pub (got there early 11.30, about 2nd group there) and went to Novotel after. Fantastic atmosphere all round. Loved the GF, fantastic seats through AFL member dead centre wing, yet for the joy of making a GF with all mad bulldog tragic PF was hard to beat. Winning the GF was still the best, yet PF was the emotion and heart. Both games with my Dad which made it special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back