Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh

If that’s the case then so be it as I think it will become very good in 2020/2021.

But I remember thinking all doom and gloom after 2015. We’d had a shambles of a season where we never looked like contenders (yet still finished fourth? #equalisation), we lost a heap of senior experience (including our GOAT), we’d been embroiled in sagas all year (the Goodes debacle, Buddy’s mental health and the BS conversation around it, the mass injury crisis in September, the COLA crap) and we’d also been humiliated in a grand final the prior year. It felt like it could only go down from there. Then in 2016 we rejuvenated the playing list and the best 22, and suddenly this newfound sense of buoyancy infected the club and took us to a grand final.

Not saying that’s what will happen in 19, but our club has a very high standard and seems to breed competitiveness from within. They may spring a surprise on us

I think the warning signs were much greater in the back half of 2018 compared to 2015. Obviously there was the issue with Franklin in 2015, and we just ran out of steam at the end with injuries.

But those losses in the second half of this year.. We genuinely looked like a bottom 4 team, and maybe even bottom 2, on multiple occasions.

I think the warning signs were much greater in the back half of 2018 compared to 2015. Obviously there was the issue with Franklin in 2015, and we just ran out of steam at the end with injuries.

But those losses in the second half of this year.. We genuinely looked like a bottom 4 team, and maybe even bottom 2, on multiple occasions.

I won't argue that we looked flat-out terrible at times this season and I don't think we showed any sense that we were moving in a different direction or changing the issues that were there. But 2018 to me was a prime example of that competitiveness and fight to maintain our standard that I was speaking of. Without such fight, we lose to the Bulldogs when O Flo kicked the match-winner, we lose to the Cattery when we come from behind in the last quarter, we lose to the Hawks at the G despite Ronke's 7 goals, we lose to North at Etihad when Aliir kicked the match-winner, we lose to the Pies in AJ's comeback game, we lose to the Demons after AJ goes down. That's six last-gasp wins where we either bravely hung on or came from behind to win. They required some heroic and tough efforts from our boys. Turn those six wins into the losses they easily could have been, and our season reads 8-14, finishing 12th on the ladder, our equal-worst ladder finish this century.

So yeah we were at times a bottom four team, but I think that resilience that comes from our winning culture and a strong club system will always (or at least for the foreseeable future) keep us in good stead. They alone kept us in games where nearly all other teams simply couldn't have won. Other clubs are lucky if they have a few heroic, backs-to-the-wall wins in a season. The last two years we've had half a dozen of those wins at least, so I very much believe in our culture and our system. It's not gonna be enough to win us a flag, but it will be enough to keep us from being a bottom four side IMO.

I won't argue that we looked flat-out terrible at times this season and I don't think we showed any sense that we were moving in a different direction or changing the issues that were there. But 2018 to me was a prime example of that competitiveness and fight to maintain our standard that I was speaking of. Without such fight, we lose to the Bulldogs when O Flo kicked the match-winner, we lose to the Cattery when we come from behind in the last quarter, we lose to the Hawks at the G despite Ronke's 7 goals, we lose to North at Etihad when Aliir kicked the match-winner, we lose to the Pies in AJ's comeback game, we lose to the Demons after AJ goes down. That's six last-gasp wins where we either bravely hung on or came from behind to win. They required some heroic and tough efforts from our boys. Turn those six wins into the losses they easily could have been, and our season reads 8-14, finishing 12th on the ladder, our equal-worst ladder finish this century.

So yeah we were at times a bottom four team, but I think that resilience that comes from our winning culture and a strong club system will always (or at least for the foreseeable future) keep us in good stead. They alone kept us in games where nearly all other teams simply couldn't have won. Other clubs are lucky if they have a few heroic, backs-to-the-wall wins in a season. The last two years we've had half a dozen of those wins at least, so I very much believe in our culture and our system. It's not gonna be enough to win us a flag, but it will be enough to keep us from being a bottom four side IMO.

Winning does become a habit and we do have some guys who only know playing in a good side , I think there is merit in what you say

What for??
The Swans confirmed to the Herald Sun that Menzel had last week undergone surgery after pulling up sore in early training sessions.

It is understood the surgery is similar to the groin release surgery that Sydney star Lance Franklin underwent after returning to pre-season training still sore from a September injury.

The Swans confirmed to the Herald Sun that Menzel had last week undergone surgery after pulling up sore in early training sessions.

It is understood the surgery is similar to the groin release surgery that Sydney star Lance Franklin underwent after returning to pre-season training still sore from a September injury.

Not ideal but also not worth panicking over. By the sounds of it he'll just be delayed when he returns to full training in 2019. He can join the queue of half a dozen other Swans.

The recruitment of Menzel was a joke to begin with but the comments from Gardiner are even more amusing. Apparently we knew all about it when we signed him but waited until last week to put him in for surgery. Give it a rest Charlie.

Has anyone else noted that Rampe has been training with the midfield group? Is this pretty normal at this stage of pre-season with running blocks?

The recruitment of Menzel was a joke to begin with but the comments from Gardiner are even more amusing. Apparently we knew all about it when we signed him but waited until last week to put him in for surgery. Give it a rest Charlie.

maybe, but given he cost us nothing to trade for, he is basically a free hit, so recruiting/signing him is not a big deal even if he doesnt play at all, just dont retain him.

if they knew he needed surgery and didnt just get it done thats odd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone else noted that Rampe has been training with the midfield group? Is this pretty normal at this stage of pre-season with running blocks?

I mean photos suggest the likes of Papley, Reid and Sinclair have also been in running blocks with the mids, so unless they are all becoming part of our midfield rotation as well, I’d say it’s not indicative of much. But that’s just based on photos... I’m sure some on here would have a better idea?

Could be interesting.

I think a lot of players in his position spend small amounts of time training with the midfielders just to observe the versatility.

All of you worrying about the injury list, stop panicking...

Firstly, this time of year, most lists look a bit like ours. A lot of the experienced players needing clean ups and/or tweaks.

And secondly, there are good reasons not to do two operations at once, or even close together, especially when you are trying to maintain a level of fitness and have the time available. It's generally not about the operations, but the rehabilitation. Much less chance of re-injury and/or recurrence if each op is rehabilitated separately. Can some of our physios on here back me up please?

Lack of puff pieces this week, I am concerned

Are the houses trained down yet?

Ditto. Most concerned. Huts being built, Greenhouses erected, dog houses bring constructed. Not one house trained down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back