Training The 2019 preseason training REPORTS thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Riach spends all his time with the backs

Agree that Ryan looked distracted and Edwards is skinny

Thought exactly the same about Cameron looking like a school kid

He’s around 190. Flanker size and won’t be a KPP

Being groomed as a half back from everything I’ve seen. Reminds me of Sheppard

Smaller

Cheers Keys. The diehard Riach fans amongst us appreciate the insights.

C96661D5-E1FB-423F-B989-F13B6259BFA8.png

Club winds up for the year on the 14/12 (Friday) so every likelihood this will be the last open session of 2018 for anyone that wants to have a watch this side of Christmas

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 3m3 minutes ago
New stoppage and structures coach Matt Rosa is speaking to the media now!

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 2m2 minutes ago
Rosa: "There's been a heavy turnover on the list, but in terms of the staff that's always been pretty stable. It's good to be back."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 1m1 minute ago
Rosa: "There are some coaches here that have improved very quickly, like Jaymie Graham and Daniel Pratt. That's exciting and I hope to learn a lot off them."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 19s20 seconds ago
Rosa: "I got some advice six or seven years ago to keep a diary about coaches and what you like about them. Working under several different senior coaches, I've learned a lot."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 38s38 seconds ago
Rosa: "A lot of what the boys did last year worked well, but well look to tweak a few things. We will continue to try and grow." - on taking over the stoppage and structures role

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 2m2 minutes ago
Rosa: "I think it's a positive, already having those relationships. I'm sure when it gets to the crunch of the season we'll really find out." - on coaching former teammates

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 11s12 seconds ago
Rosa: "I was there grand final day and I waa super proud of the boys. To see guys I played with in 2015 achieve the ultimate was fantastic. I was rapt for the boys and I'm happy to be working with them again."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 1m1 minute ago
Rosa: "There were some real improvements made by the midfield group last year. They really shared the workload and got it done. They're hungry to improve."

West Coast Eagles‏Verified account @WestCoastEagles 32s33 seconds ago
Rosa: "It'll be an interesting battle this pre-season, with so many players vying for that ruck spot. Tom (Hickey) ran a great 2km time trial and is looking good and Vardy had a great grand final."

Went down to Subi again to watch what is likely to be the last open training session I go to until the New Year

• Players already out doing warmups when we were let in
  • Nicnat out there again moving quite freely it must be said. Later did some run throughs and other work rehabbing the knee. All straight line work so far though and no jumping
  • Venables out on the track warming up at least but that's as far as he got. Disappeared in the direction of the gym once the balls came out. He's a fair way from doing any serious fitness work so it looks like another compromised preseason that he can ill afford
  • Vardy looks in good shape. Bigger than I remember but that might just be my alzheimers kicking in. Given he heads into 2019 as our likely lead ruck it would make sense for him to bulk up.
  • Cameron, Watson and Schofield walking laps together as the rest of the players start kick to kick as part of their normal warm up routine
  • Edwards and Yeo kicking to each other 15m apart away from main group - that was the last I saw of them
  • Redden nails his birthday kick at goal first up once the warmups are done and the main part of the session starts
  • Goal kicking comp in teams to start - direct shots from about 30m out directly in front
  • Next is work on ball movement a bit like circle work to sharpen the skills and to get some miles in the legs
  • Training drills only so no pressure but ball use looking sharp. Not much hitting the ground
  • Oallen running laps again like the other two sessions I've been to. Running at a good clip so he’s gonna have a good tank if nothing else
  • JK away from main group on other side of oval with Duggan working with one of the fitness staff
  • Cripps doing laps now as well
  • Bit of slight competitive work now - still working on ball movement but players working defensively to apply chasing pressure and intercepting stray passes
  • Masten joins in the traffic running the boundary
  • As does JK but more accurately described as jogging rather than running and seems to have a license to use the boundary as a loose guide only. Follows his own path the big fella
  • First year players pulled out of training after just over an hour into the session to do boundary running
  • Quite a few others running laps now - shep, jets, Shuey, and willie. All running at good pace so no cause for alarm
  • Bines noticably labouring to get through his work. Welcome to AFL preseasons.
  • Shepps legs not looking quite so skinny anymore
  • Watching Ainsworth for a bit - kicking is ugly but haven’t seen him miss many targets
  • Players starting to gravitate to the drinks benches so it looks like it - I've left as players meander off signing autographs and some still out practising different bits and pieces. Bit shorter session today. Time to go back to work

Overall thoughts from the sessions I've seen :

• The group generally looks in pretty good health. Players for the most part have all come back in fine nick with the possible exception of Ryan who has moved well but has work to do building a tank
  • There are a few players on modified programs after off season surgeries but only Venables, Yeo, Edwards and Cameron have been absent post warmups - any others have at least been running at good pace
  • Nicnat is in a separate category obviously as he returns from a knee reco but he's miles ahead of where he was at a similar stage after his first knee. Genuine cause to be optimistic on a mid 2019 return
  • In a group so big it's hard to keep track of individual players not least because of the tendency of several of them to wear caps and also players using the full oval so difficult to see whats happening 150m away but for me Petrucelle has been a standout. It helps that with his abundance of hair he stands out but he's been impressive - looks to have bulked up a bit, still has excellent pace and has been really sharp with his skills. With Venables having a delayed preseason, Petch is positioning himself nicely to take that defensive forward spot
  • Of the new guys Exxon and Large Karl (Williams) have been the most noticeable. Foley has been a bit anonymous whilst Edwards and Cameron have been limited due to injury. Smith looks a solid acquisition who will keep the youngsters honest in earning a spot if injury creates an opportunity and a mature body will be handy for our WAFL side. Haven't seen enough of either Hickey or Brooksby to form an opinion
  • Of the basketballers Riach looks to be the most game ready and actually has pretty decent skills. Bines is very much a work in progress at this very early stage. It should also be pointed out that Riach has been with the group for a few months whereas Bines has only just come over from Victoria in the last month

Last edited:
Went down to Subi again to watch what is likely to be the last open training session I go to until the New Year

• Nicnat out there again moving quite freely it must be said. Later did some run throughs and other work rehabbing the knee. All straight line work so far though and no jumping
  • Venables out on the track warming up at least but that's as far as he got. Disappeared in the direction of the gym once the balls came out. He's a fair way from doing any serious fitness work so it looks like another compromised preseason that he can ill afford
  • Vardy looks in good shape. Bigger than I remember but that might just be my alzheimers kicking in. Given he heads into 2019 as our likely lead ruck it would make sense for him to bulk up.
  • Cameron, Watson and Schofield walking laps together as the rest of the players start kick to kick as part of their normal warm up routine
  • Edwards and Yeo kicking to each other 15m apart away from main group - that was the last I saw of them
  • Redden nails his birthday kick at goal first up once the warmups are done and the main part of the session starts
  • Goal kicking comp in teams to start - direct shots from about 30m out directly in front
  • Next is work on ball movement a bit like circle work to sharpen the skills and to get some miles in the legs
  • Training drills only so no pressure but ball use looking sharp. Not much hitting the ground
  • Oallen running laps again like the other two sessions I've been to. Running at a good clip so he’s gonna have a good tank if nothing else
  • JK away from main group on other side of oval with Duggan working with one of the fitness staff
  • Bit of slight competitive work now - still working on ball movement but players working defensively to apply chasing pressure and intercepting stray passes
  • As does JK but more accurately described as jogging rather than running and seems to have a license to use the boundary as a loose guide only. Follows his own path the big fella
  • First year players pulled out of training after just over an hour into the session to do boundary running
  • Quite a few others running laps now - shep, jets, Shuey, and willie. All running at good pace so no cause for alarm
  • Watching Ainsworth for a bit - kicking is ugly but haven’t seen him miss many targets
  • Players starting to gravitate to the drinks benches so it looks like it - I've left as players meander off signing autographs and some still out practising different bits and pieces. Bit shorter session today. Time to go back to work

• The group generally looks in pretty good health. Players for the most part have all come back in fine nick with the possible exception of Ryan who has moved well but has work to do building a tank
  • There are a few players on modified programs after off season surgeries but only Venables, Yeo, Edwards and Cameron have been absent post warmups - any others have at least been running at good pace
  • Nicnat is in a separate category obviously as he returns from a knee reco but he's miles ahead of where he was at a similar stage after his first knee. Genuine cause to be optimistic on a mid 2019 return
  • In a group so big it's hard to keep track of individual players not least because of the tendency of several of them to wear caps and also players using the full oval so difficult to see whats happening 150m away but for me Petrucelle has been a standout. It helps that with his abundance of hair he stands out but he's been impressive - looks to have bulked up a bit, still has excellent pace and has been really sharp with his skills. With Venables having a delayed preseason, Petch is positioning himself nicely to take that defensive forward spot
  • Of the new guys Exxon and Large Karl (Williams) have been the most noticeable. Foley has been a bit anonymous whilst Edwards and Cameron have been limited due to injury. Smith looks a solid acquisition who will keep the youngsters honest in earning a spot if injury creates an opportunity and a mature body will be handy for our WAFL side. Haven't seen enough of either Hickey or Brooksby to form an opinion
  • Of the basketballers Riach looks to be the most game ready and actually has pretty decent skills. Bines is very much a work in progress at this very early stage. It should also be pointed out that Riach has been with the group for a few months whereas Bines has only just come over from Victoria in the last month
When you say Foley's been a bit anonymous, is it that he's just not doing anything distinctive? Is he just going about his business?

When you say Foley's been a bit anonymous, is it that he's just not doing anything distinctive? Is he just going about his business?
Correct. Just haven’t noticed him much as some players are harder to pick up than others

Awesome work Keys much appreciated! I love Petch glad he's looking in good form would love him to get a bunch more games next year, he didn't get it much in his 3 games last year but his highlights were great:thumbsu: How's Brayshaw look, apart from slow how's his skills?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to read your write up again Keys!
What's up with Venables, why another compromised preseason? surgery?

Apparently he scraped his knee according to Suma Magic's spreadsheet: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/injury-thread-2019.1210061/#post-59074755

I did that the first time the training wheels were off my bike, hurt like a mofo but I was playing Auskick the next week so Venables shouldn't miss too much.

(Unless it was a knee scrape operation, which is probably more serious).

Brilliant work! Well done! Why do you assume Vardy will go in being #1 ruck? I would assume Hicky would.

Transparency sometimes makes you go unnoticed. Beyond pale as buggery.

Wrong rookie. Exxon is the pale mid, Foley isn’t pale just skinny

Had an operation to scrape his knee apparently. Saw him at a nandos last week with a compression type bandage on his left knee but he only had an oversized bandaid on it yesterday

Guys, how do you pronouce Riach?

Is is similar to react, suggesting young Brodie might have cat-like reflexes?

Or is it like the noise you make over the toilet after 10 too many bevvies on a Friday after work?

Reeack

Google says it’s a Scottish name so the ch is pronounced ck like the ch in lochness

As long as Venables is fit for the post Christmas preseason, I wouldn’t be too concerned yet.

Agree that it won’t be too big a problem if he can join training when the players come back in the new year but I have doubts/concerns that it’ll be longer than that. Right now he looks a fair way off

Brilliant work! Well done! Why do you assume Vardy will go in being #1 ruck? I would assume Hicky would.

Vardy is a known quantity for the coaching staff and has the benefit of playing with our mids for the last two years. Hickey will need to prove himself over the course of the preseason and right now is probably competing with Brooksby for a spot in the 22

Come round 1 Hickey may well start as first ruck but I think looking at Vardy he’s bulked up a little from last year on the basis that he may be spending more time in the ruck

Ugly as in Justin Madden ugly or Krakeur unorthodox ugly?? Not missing targets is a good thing though.
Once again great reporting for us unfortunate's who can't get away from work to see for ourselves.
Much appreciated every year and look forward to your's and all the others who can get down there and report back on what you observed.
You should get some sort of WCE social media kick back or something, as a paid member I would 2nd it.
Cheers again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back