Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Same coin just a few less years not to mention his marketing worth at Hawthorn being greater than his at Sydney.
Well with Sydney he was guaranteed those extra millions. If he stayed at Hawthorn and his career ended earlier he wasn’t going to make those millions.

And like I said maybe he was ready for something different.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mark Evans admitted that 4 of the Bulldogs goals were from terrible umpiring decisions. 4 goals is enough to sway the game, in fact those 4 goals probably determined the result.
Source?
I recall the umpiring review saying there were 3 or 4 wrong decisions but not that it cost 4 goals.

Worst call that day was the JJ goal over rule. They used a still from when the ball was already travelling back towards the field of play to say a tiny part of the ball was above the line.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Source?
I recall the umpiring review saying there were 3 or 4 wrong decisions but not that it cost 4 goals.

Worst call that day was the JJ goal over rule. They used a still from when the ball was already travelling back towards the field of play to say a tiny part of the ball was above the line.
The Swans were robbed

F*** it was awesome

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
There's no guarantee that if Buddy stayed with the Hawks they would have won those flags. Butterfly Effect and all that.

Buddy made the right move at the time. Getting paid a lot more money over more years for doing the same job, most people would take that.

It's a shame for him, from a football accolade perspective, that the club he went to are the biggest underachievers of the modern era. Seriously, making the finals in 15 of their past 17 seasons - finishing top 4 in 8 of those years - for just the 2 flags is pathetic. I'm sure he would love another flag and maybe it will still happen, but his team really needs to learn how to perform in September first.
Couldnt agree more about Sydney, how they are always lauded is beyond me. The amount of top 4 finishes in recent times for just the 2 flags has to be the lowest amongst any club in modern time. As for buddy, made the best decision for him at the time, I reckon had he been playing for the hawks in 2014 and 15 they might not have won those flags.

Gunnster

Draftee
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It now needs to be asked whether Buddy made a huge mistake - not so much leaving Hawthorn- but joining Sydney.

There were plenty of other teams he could have joined in 2013. West Coast, GWS, Freo. I am certain each of these teams at the time would have given a better opportunity of a flag.

Then there is misisng out on two flags at his old team and being part of history.

Yep he has the big bucks but surely he will consider his move to the Swans as the worst move he could have made given he is one of the greatest players to play the game.

Discuss

Gunnster

Draftee
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think if he stayed at Hawthorn, won 4-5 flags, kicked 1100 goals he would go down as a top 5 player of all time and Legend in the Hawks Hall of Fame. So he has slightly tarnished his legacy by being a mercenary and not achieving further success, apart from his individual awards anyway.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Everyone knows, including Mark McVeigh, that you hit Hanners hard and he doesn't go near it for the rest of the day.

Very good player in his prime, but like Lewis Jetta, goes missing under duress...

Any credibility you have had in your constant obsession of trolling the Swans has just gone out the window with this one ridiculous statement. Seek counselling or you are going to be swapping tapping your keyboard for sitting in a rocking chair with a crochet blanket and sucking your thumb. Jack and Jill seriously.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Any credibility you have had in your constant obsession of trolling the Swans has just gone out the window with this one ridiculous statement. Seek counselling or you are going to be swapping tapping your keyboard for sitting in a rocking chair with a crochet blanket and sucking your thumb. Jack and Jill seriously.

I really hope this helps...

F2D_800.jpg

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Source?

Here

The league were embarrassed to the point that then-acting AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans rang Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland on the Tuesday after the match to apologise for the umpires costing the Swans four goals. The winning margin blew out late to 22 points after the Bulldogs kicked the final two goals in time on of the final quarter.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/dd26db5f59740617c8e4847d13e5294b

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The journalist was summarising what Evans said. You clearly don't know how news articles work.
It's his opinion that it cost 4 goals.
You seem to be like the millions of other Australians who vote who think because it's in the newspaper it's fact. Most articles are riddled with inaccuracies and ill informed opinion. In this case it was just a salty opinion.

He doesn't know what was said, if he did he would directly quote or quote his source. He doesn't, because there isn't one. All he knows is that a call was made and the review said 3-4 decisions were wrong. This info was publicly stated. Even if Evans did think it cost 4 goals there is no way he is going to say it lol.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's his opinion that it cost 4 goals.
You seem to be like the millions of other Australians who vote who think because it's in the newspaper it's fact. Most articles are riddled with inaccuracies and ill informed opinion. In this case it was just a salty opinion.

He doesn't know what was said, if he did he would directly quote or quote his source. He doesn't, because there isn't one. All he knows is that a call was made and the review said 3-4 decisions were wrong. This info was publicly stated. Even if Evans did think it cost 4 goals there is no way he is going to say it lol.

Look at the position Evans held in 2016. I'd say his opinion carries some weight.

Back