Fox Cricket commentary and coverage 2018-19

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We already have a thread for people to discuss the commentary on channel 7, so it's only fair that we have one for Fox Cricket too.

Fox Cricket, like channel 7, have numerous commentators on their books: Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne, Mark Waugh, Isa Guha, Andrew Symonds, Mike Hussey, Brett Lee, Allan Border, Mel Jones, Kerry O’Keeffe, Michael Vaughan, Brendon Julian, Steve Smith, Jessica Yates, Mark Howard, Mitchell Johnson, Darren Lehmann, John Hastings, Ellyse Perry, Alyssa Healy, Neroli Meadows, Sarah Jones, Katherine Loughnan, Alex Blackwell, Tom Morris and Megan Barnard. Graeme Smith, who we've already seen and heard from, Harsha Bhogle and Russel Arnold will be on hand as overseas commentators too.

Let's hope the reviews on Brad McNamara's 2nd crack at producing cricket coverage on TV is better than when he was producer of channel 9's cricket coverage until 2016.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
since I'm being fair and already had a crack at 7 in the other thread, KO'K = mute button. He's an acquired taste, I'll grant you that much.
No more so than Neroli's cringeworthy pitch invasions to ask the "footy" questions, or Isa Guha being about 10 years off the mark and unable to contain her anti Australian bias

Michael Vaughan is now over here from the looks of Twitter, so he should be there for the first test. Hopefully Isa is back over here as well, she’s fantastic.
since I'm being fair and already had a crack at 7 in the other thread, KO'K = mute button. He's an acquired taste, I'll grant you that much.
I just hope that above all else that we don’t get the ‘pleasure’ of hearing Lee and Healy for the test. Give me someone like AB or Mike Hussey over those two

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
No more so than Neroli's cringeworthy pitch invasions to ask the "footy" questions, or Isa Guha being about 10 years off the mark and unable to contain her anti Australian bias
Skull and Isa are my two favourites on Fox but to each their own.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
It's interesting comparing Seven to Fox - I think Seven's got the better all round team in that they have no one that's really unbearable except IMO McGrath and Jason Richardson (you could argue Slats, Brayshaw and Flem but I can stand them). Fox's lineup has a lot of really good (Gilly, Warne, Isa, Vaughan etc) and a lot of very uninspiring (Waugh, Healy, Lee, Roy, Howard). KOK I think's much more suited to radio than to TV

Overall Fox's lineup is better, but that's expected when you have a whole lot more commentators than the other broadcaster

Last edited:

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
From the limited over games commentated on so far, my assessment is as follows:

Love:

Isha Gua and Adam Gilchrist (I will like Vaughan also based on previous stints)

Like:

Warne, KoK and Roy

Hate:

Howard

I do not mind the 7 line up as a whole I have always been a JB fan, listened to Lane throughout my childhood with Maxwell on ABC and Allison Mitchell is quite good (not as good as Isha but very good).

I think the back button on fox will get a fair workout across the six tests

I just hope that above all else that we don’t get the ‘pleasure’ of hearing Lee and Healy for the test. Give me someone like AB or Mike Hussey over those two
Well they didn't commentate in any of the ODI's, so there's hope there.

If we can avoid those two I think Fox will be fine. I certainly have my issues with Warne and Vaughan but at least they aren't complete idiots....just massive knobs.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Okay, so Australian commentators should be allowed to say wickets before runs wherever they go then? Even though they don't get that privilege?

Privilege?

Oh f***en hell.

It’s saying 1 before 123, or after 123. It’s not going to another country, dropping your strides, and taking a f***ing s**t on their Head of State.

F*** me.

Was Healy calling the first test at all or was everyone spared that?
he was - wasn't terrible but wasn't fantastic either

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin

Nah I'm done.

Fox needs to get rid of this guy. That being said it's Fox.

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Nah I'm done.

Fox needs to get rid of this guy. That being said it's Fox.
He's just out of his depth. The UK have Trump style leaders in Farage and Johnson, both of whom have helped and are helping the likelihood of a 'no deal' brexit - a route Trump would likely have gone down too.

So yeah, I don't quite get his point other than 'May has mucked this up' (which is a reasonable view to take).

It will make me scrutinise his thoughts on cricket leadership in a new light though.

Back