2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

soccer-dive-bad-breath.gif

FusRoDerp!

Does anyone remember Ross airing concerns about the playing group staying on track over the 3 week Xmas break before?

Is this simply because it’s a younger playing group or is It an opportunity to put a tacit warning on the public record? Was it aimed at all or a few in particular?

Back on pre season training . Is it normal practice to have three weeks off at Xmas? Might be my bad memory but didn't think it was that long in previous years .
It's mandatory. All AFL clubs have to do the same. I think our boys will be fine. Selections for Round 1 will be tight - nobody is going to do the wrong thing and jeopardise not making the team because of it.

There is some really nice content on the website...and a nice interview with Belly. I really think he's the best appointment we've made for a long time.

Totally agree. I like how visible he is in the media and he seems to have a great handle on what's best for the team. His decisions have been solid so far, but time will tell once the season gets rolling.

Anyone hear/see/read anything about what's going on with the Gold Coast camp besides the usual places? I think Ross' idea to get the boys away from the media bubble in WA and have some time to get to know each other is a good idea. I'm not a big RTB fan but, to me, this decision tells me he's acknowledging that what he's done the last few years hasn't worked. I thought the game might be passing him by, but I'm encouraged. Team chemistry can be one of the most overrated or underrated things. Hard to measure but we know it's important at some level.

It's mandatory. All AFL clubs have to do the same. I think our boys will be fine. Selections for Round 1 will be tight - nobody is going to do the wrong thing and jeopardise not making the team because of it.

I think this is why depth is so important. Competition is great for the team. If a player needs to be babysat during the three week break, then they can sit on the bench. Next man up!

Last edited:
As per AFL.com.au Ross said, "We need players to come back, with good weight, skin folds and an ability to run so they can pick up a footy straight away." This may be a stupid question, but can someone please shed some light on what the he11 is a skin fold? I've never heard anyone talk about that in American sports. I'm assuming it's like a BMI (body mass index) indicator? How do you actually measure skin folds?

As per AFL.com.au Ross said, "We need players to come back, with good weight, skin folds and an ability to run so they can pick up a footy straight away." This may be a stupid question, but can someone please shed some light on what the he11 is a skin fold? I've never heard anyone talk about that in American sports. I'm assuming it's like a BMI (body mass index) indicator? How do you actually measure skin folds?

Skin fold testing is to check the amount of body fat a person has. So essentially it is a way for the club to make sure the players are eating right and actully sticking to their programs. There is plenty of info out there if you want to look at it in depth.

Does anyone remember Ross airing concerns about the playing group staying on track over the 3 week Xmas break before?

Is this simply because it’s a younger playing group or is It an opportunity to put a tacit warning on the public record? Was it aimed at all or a few in particular?
Maybe he's excited by what he's seen so far of the pre-season as to what that could bring for the season ahead and really doesn't want to let that slip.

But yeah it is something that gets mentioned every year I think.

Lyon quite famously told the playing group that big brother was watching them at his first Doig Medal night (I think) and has later suggested that he got in a bit of trouble about it.
Found a link:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-10-07/big-brother-is-watching-lyon-

I had a chat with a particular indigenous senior player over coffee in Melbourne and asked if it was a challenge to keep the younger guys focused, on track and invested. His response was succinct. "They know what is expected of them and what happens if they don't."

So the culture within the group was quite strong, now we don't have as many experienced guys around flying the right flag the club, leadership group etc need to ingrain that same single minded attitude towards commitment to their career as professional athletes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's basically where the skin is pulled away from the muscles at specific locations and a caliper is put on the skin to see how much skin and fat there is between the callipers in mm.

This data is punched into a software program and a BF% is determined.

AFL clubs don't usually bother converting it into BF% though, they just use the raw number.

From memory a lot of clubs set their expected standard at <50mm for the sum of 7.

AFL clubs don't usually bother converting it into BF% though, they just use the raw number.

From memory a lot of clubs set their expected standard at <50mm for the sum of 7.
You're right, whenever you hear them talking about their skinfold numbers in press work, this is to what they were referring.

I’m concerned that the established players are teaching the Freo game plan. I was hoping they were going away to discuss a NEW game plan :(
Don't be too concerned. Lyon also said the best way to learn is to teach, which implies the experienced players are also learning.

Experienced players would have better frameworks from learning previous gameplans that would (generally speaking) help them to understand key elements of a new gameplan quicker.

-OR- it could just be the "all new subtlety different" gameplan.

Can anyone zoom in and read the points on the blackboard in Ross’ video on the website?
I can’t make it out on my phone screen.
It could teach us a little about the new game plan!

So the culture within the group was quite strong, now we don't have as many experienced guys around flying the right flag the club, leadership group etc need to ingrain that same single minded attitude towards commitment to their career as professional athletes.

On the one hand... But on the other, we have recruited Brayshaw, he's a born leader and committed to excellence and a team ethic instead of self. He will bring a lot of the youngsters with him in a quest for self discipline etc whereas ordinarily it's handed down by the older folk and it's a bit "yeah, whatever". For that matter, add at the least, Cerra and Logue as people who don't just rely on natural ability and then do what the hell they want, but back ability with hard endeavour, they're all setting the standard for what it takes to try and succeed, doesn't look like they're over indulging in pies and nightclubs.

At least, I hope I'm right on that and not just reading into it the vibes that I want to see...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back