Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks for the post, it got me thinking and I really hope your right. So I had a look.

Cripps- all ready an elite Midfield
Murphy- if 100% fit and with more support could be. The pressure is off and let him be free and enjoy his footy.
Curnow(Ed)- is just a blue collar player works hards but not elite.
Kennedy- didn't put his best foot forward this year because of injuries could be an elite clearance bull.
Dow- showed that he has potential to be a classy mid.
SPS- could be anything and with a full preseason under his belt. Could be very exciting.
Setterfield- probably has more upside the any other mid on our list and will be elite Midfielder in the future if he can get his body right but won't be in 2019. Will be a development player in 2019.
Lang- maybe but more likely to be delisted but strangers things have happened.
Cuningham- I've nearly lost hope that he'll be a good footballer let alone elite but has the skills to do it.
O'Brien- love this guy and will be an elite winger or flanker. Is 2019 his year maybe.
Fisher- all ready a little star, Would be interesting to see how much he could improve again next year.
Walsh & Stoker- I can think of any player that were elite from there first year expect maybe Judd. These 2 will be good in 2019 but not elite.
JSOS- needs to improve his endurance and IMO he could be a midfielder because he's a smart footballer, that can read the play well and is very calm under pressure.

There are a lot of maybe and my guess is SPS and Kennedy are the most likely to step up to the next leave with Cripps and that will help Murphy's game.

Good breakdown. I have them ranked slightly differently.
Cripps - No brainer. Elite
Fisher - Another season of improvement like 2018 and he's almost in that elite category.
Setterfield - Has always come back from injury strongly. I think by the end of 2019 we'll know that we have a pretty special player on our hands
Walsh - Will demonstrate to the football world why Carlton rated him number 1. Will be a very good player in 2019 and by 2021 will be special.
SPS - 2019 could be a break year for SPS. By the end of of 2019 I expect him to be Carlton's second best mid and on the cusp of elite
Dow - I expect Dow in 2019 to follow a similar trajectory to Fisher in 2018. By the end of 2020 he will be elite.
O'Brien - If he can further compliment his run with his scything left foot he could be a surprise packet in 2019. Still in the conversation for elite potential.
Lang - Don't think it's going to happen for him
Kennedy - May never be elite because he doesn't seem to have any eye popping special attributes, but I think he can play an important role
Murphy - I have a feeling 2019 could be one of his best seasons. Elite when at his best.
Stocker - By mid season I expect this young bull will have forced his way into the side by shear force of will and aggression at the pill.
JSOS - Better of the half back
Ed Curnow - Effective role player. Leader
Cuningham - Wild card. If he plays 15 - 20 games during 2019 I think he will finish the season as an established flanker who can pinch hit in the middle

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Good breakdown. I have them ranked slightly differently.
Cripps - No brainer. Elite
Fisher - Another season of improvement like 2018 and he's almost in that elite category.
Setterfield - Has always come back from injury strongly. I think by the end of 2019 we'll know that we have a pretty special player on our hands
Walsh - Will demonstrate to the football world why Carlton rated him number 1. Will be a very good player in 2019 and by 2021 will be special.
SPS - 2019 could be a break year for SPS. By the end of of 2019 I expect him to be Carlton's second best mid and on the cusp of elite
Dow - I expect Dow in 2019 to follow a similar trajectory to Fisher in 2018. By the end of 2020 he will be elite.
O'Brien - If he can further compliment his run with his scything left foot he could be a surprise packet in 2019. Still in the conversation for elite potential.
Lang - Don't think it's going to happen for him
Kennedy - May never be elite because he doesn't seem to have any eye popping special attributes, but I think he can play an important role
Murphy - I have a feeling 2019 could be one of his best seasons. Elite when at his best.
Stocker - By mid season I expect this young bull will have forced his way into the side by shear force of will and aggression at the pill.
JSOS - Better of the half back
Ed Curnow - Effective role player. Leader
Cuningham - Wild card. If he plays 15 - 20 games during 2019 I think he will finish the season as an established flanker who can pinch hit in the middle
Yeah pretty close to the mark on most.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Kyle Cheney should be high on your list as a replacement for Docherty.(Cheney was liked buy 3 clubs: just too short)
He is a good interceptor, and great lock down player, and a role player that will allow your other 1/2 backs shine.
It doesn't sound like he is considering Gibbons & Cottrell are currently training with us while Cheney isn't.

Also worth noting it's not about actually replacing Docherty, it's about filling a list spot. Not that Cheney is like-for like anyway. If anything, it's about replacing the guy already on our list who was probably going to be playing predominantly for the NBs but was next in line for seniors.

Would have thought that one or two of Williamson, Newman or Thomas may have missed out on senior selection, now they'll be taking Doc's spot and the 'new' player (if they turn out to be a similar type of player) moves into the NBs to take that now vacant spot.

That being said, after Doc we've got Simmo, Thomas, Newman, Willo, O'Brien, Schumacher, Plowman, Silvagni, Cuningham & Garlett who are hbf types (or have played there before) and Gibbons & Cottrell are both midfielders so there might not be any 'replacing' happening anyway.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
The weakest thing is the logic you've presented in the post - Geelong played 6 talls for ten years in defence and did quite well out of it.
What is this 'lock down' small defender is it the twin brother of the lock down small forward?

ridiculous memes perpetuate forums at times - no need to carry such silly baggage based on nothing except unchallenged accepted wisdoms - nonsense.

Small blokes find it hard to outmark taller blokes- it is about skill not about size. All things being equal - the bigger bloke always beats the smaller bloke in every sport ever invented and always will - for a really really good reason - the skinny runt is just a skinny runt - meat.

Except for Eddie Betts. I've not seen a small player make talls (even mobile talls) look as bad as Eddie could do regularly.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
We are getting old my friend. thylacine60 still remembers seeing Tom Clancy in his debut year …….

Clanceys gone to Queensland droving and we don't know where he are.

Edit: Might have technically been beaten by an extinct animal on this one too.

How old do you have to be before you learn?

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Except for Eddie Betts. I've not seen a small player make talls (even mobile talls) look as bad as Eddie could do regularly.
It's interesting how we all see things differently,
I've always felt that Eddie has struggled when faced with a quality taller opponent as he often plays as an undersized lead up forward rather than the traditional crumbing forward, so giving up inches to his opponent can certainly work against him, though he has many opponents for smarts anyway so will often play to his strengths.

Bluebag13

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
A friend of mine is a big Hawks fan and goes to nearly all the Box Hill games, he wasn't all that impressed with Lovell's performances in the VFL. He believed many of their younger players were ahead of him and was suggesting he would be de-listed from a long way out. A lot of stat padding and very little impact.

Sounds like he would fit right in with the hawks midfield

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I'd rather back in what we already have than bring in someone who hasn't been picked up yet to replace Docherty. I think we will be looking at guys like Schumacher, Newman, Thomas etc to fit in there while Marchbank fits into that role.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Can someone start a “should we get Brendon Goddard” poll?

NO!

800px_COLOURBOX3618474.jpg

I'm sure Aph has posted these in the training thread, but........

Samo.jpg

Ain't it good to see Samo actually being able to do a preseason rather than just being restricted to jogging laps. We were told when we drafted him to be patient as he'd take a couple of years to develop. If he can get through unscathed I think we'll see a much more confident player who backs himself in and takes the game on. Could 2019 be the year he announces himself???

Kennedy.jpg

Think we'll get a much better idea as to what Kennedy is capable of this year. Mind you, not having to undergo a double shoulder reco and do a full preseason will help his cause enormously. Looks so much leaner and lighter on his feet whereas I thought he looked too heavy this season just gone. Should assist his agility and ability to cover large swathes of the ground.

Training 10-12-3.jpg

Good to see the strapping is all gone from Setterfield's knee now. Bet he's happy being able to engage in normal training. I think he'll take most of next year acclimatising to the speed of AFL level footy and I also think we'll see him earlier rather than later.

Owies2.jpg

Have to say that I've found SOS' choice of rookies to be generally less than inspiring. However, I must admit that I'm really looking forward to seeing how Matt Owies develops over the course of the year. One thing I've always liked about players who come from a basketball background is their sure ball handling. May take a little while, but could surprise at odds later in the season.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
Key Points this Preseason

Russell-has made an impact however will take time to sink in?
Trade and Draft has been above the Carlton Average-However we did turn over numbers again and Bolton has to redefine entire group
Bolts will need a good and settled list to fine tune things, finding out what works for the group over time..
The spike SOS was talking about may be quashed a bit by DOC loss..
Getting plenty of training and games into the drafts is best option for future improvement ...already looking deeper
We are going to have to throw kitchen sink at something at 2019 trade....need elite talent
On the list

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm sure Aph has posted these in the training thread, but........

View attachment 596506

Ain't it good to see Samo actually being able to do a preseason rather than just being restricted to jogging laps. We were told when we drafted him to be patient as he'd take a couple of years to develop. If he can get through unscathed I think we'll see a much more confident player who backs himself in and takes the game on. Could 2019 be the year he announces himself???

View attachment 596507

Think we'll get a much better idea as to what Kennedy is capable of this year. Mind you, not having to undergo a double shoulder reco and do a full preseason will help his cause enormously. Looks so much leaner and lighter on his feet whereas I thought he looked too heavy this season just gone. Should assist his agility and ability to cover large swathes of the ground.

View attachment 596508

Good to see the strapping is all gone from Setterfield's knee now. Bet he's happy being able to engage in normal training. I think he'll take most of next year acclimatising to the speed of AFL level footy and I also think we'll see him earlier rather than later.

View attachment 596509

Have to say that I've found SOS' choice of rookies to be generally less than inspiring. However, I must admit that I'm really looking forward to seeing how Matt Owies develops over the course of the year. One thing I've always liked about players who come from a basketball background is their sure ball handling. May take a little while, but could surprise at odds later in the season.
Samo & Kennedy are two I'm really excited to see hit the ground running in 2019. Both of them at 100% should add a lot to our midfield, Samo bringing the class & Cripps' sidekick Kennedy the blunt force instrument on the inside.

Kennedy had a pair of recos, short/disrupted preseason and busted ankle ligaments from R1 Q1 that he played with all year and still managed to average 18 disposals; let's see how he fairs with a decent fitness base and having all of his limbs functioning properly.

Setterfield will be interesting to watch. Big bodied, smooth mover, skillful, highly rated... just need to get him on the park and keep him there. I'm expecting to see a fair bit of him next season.

Owies is an interesting one. Cat B so if I'm not mistaken can't play seniors? Guessing his biggest challenge early on will be altering his aerobic fitness to suit footy and be able to run out games.

my optimism elevates around draft night, takes the annual hit with the first season ending lti, builds again through pre-season training and the jlt wok, then falls through the arse when I see the size, speed and all round betterage of the opposition as they run out against us.....

I see the portfolio of players has changed ( is it 35 over the last 3 yrs ?) Bolton is concentrating a lot on 'culture' a ground up reset and rebuild. The rebuild bit is the easier aspect ( hard enough as it is) - I look at Cripps/Dow/Walsh/Kennedy and see the makings of a finals midfield being constructed and get more relaxed about sustainability when I put my optimist hat on and look at the potential of Fisher/SPS/LoB/Stocker/Setterfield - all capable of moving the ball forward to three genuinely exciting catchers of the ball in Harry/Charlie and McGovern

there are sprinkling of higher risk could surprise types all better than previous plodders - Pickett/Garlett/Polson/Cuningham - Newman/Bugg / Fasolo are all AFL players

there is no doubting the quality of Simpson/Ed/Murph/Thomas - even Levi will feature in games where larger body will provide advantage

the only negatives I see on the horison is replacing Docherty with same credibility in terms of run and leadership - Simmo isnt the guy failed last year and will fail again and neither is Thomas - in a perfect world Weitering imposes himself - but I suspect Bolton has to rebuild the Weits after doing an excellent job of destroying his natural game - which is the perfect segue into my #1 concern based on what I saw transpire in 2018

Bolton - whats your game plan mate - and cut the crap about green shoots enough of twitter bytes and malarky - you've had three years to settle in, time to perform because you've pretty much got the best line up of youth and talent in the game at your disposal - and what really makes me nervous is that Barker is still there and I see no one who has a real clue about coaching between the arcs in 2018.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
I think focus has really changed now. Not about games into kids. Better reserves side, competition for spots and it’s now about earning your spot. 2018 was about games not it’s about best each week. No one will be gifted games in 2019 especially if we stay fit.

Regarding Elite talent how we go this year will determine it. If most of our talent steps up I don’t see the need. Not saying we won’t chase top end talent but we aren’t desperate for it.

With Cripps Charlie Weitering Dow SPS Docherty Walsh Setterfield etc we have a lot of potential top end talent. Best in the AFL. 2019 will tell us a lot.
Doc gone for nother 12 mnths and will be slower this time.....he will still be quite good etc..down the track
I would like to say the list is looking much better,the drafts are improving rapidly.they are mainly efficient ball users and good kicks.
We still will need a Kelly as an example....and got some surplus funds to see such a trade happen hopefully.
Look at Dusty for Richmond.....he runs the show literally,just one dominant player which probably isnt the way to go ,however Cripps still needs immediate Elite assistance in the middle....i see backs and forwards as ok
-->Load up the middle now.........the comp is so ridiculously competitive we will need a lot of grunt out there with CFC on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back