Liking the Dockers AND the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's like each time a Freo supporter sees an Eagles supporter experiencing joy it causes them personal pain in their heart. These last few months must be particularly hard for Dockers fans. If you know one, treat it with kindness and respect. Some people just make poor life choices and end up falling through the cracks, they deserve our pity and support.

Freagles.

The Trent Carroll of WA football followers.

They aren’t much chop and you’d rather forget they existed.

This needs more love. Also the Brendon Fewsters (played about 50:50 split).

On the flipside there is also the likes of Dale Kickett but he only played 2 for West Coast and Daniel Metropolis who only played about 6 for Freo

I can't think of too many others off the top of my head?

Because Freo have an anchor and are purple. Nothing to like really.
Take a drive thru Freo, it smells like a dead blowfish, and its covered with wads of seagull sh!t. And half hour parking everywhere.
On a good day you can walk past a dozen street performers, usually some bloke who looks like he just came out of a drain, blowing alleged music into a home made bamboo pipe, whilst at the same time painting a pair of **** on a canvass with his feet. The plus side I guess is the $6 coffees and $12 pints.
Sucks across the board.
$6 coffees & $12 Pints crikey. Hipster elitist?

the AFL made two teams in Perth to make money off all the people in WA, rivalry is the obvious moneymaker in sport. but some of the people are casuals who weren't into footy before the two perth teams, so they just like both. thread solved

Funny thread. It is kind of the purpose of AFL to have rivalry.

If you actually like both clubs, why not like every AFL club?

Personally I followed Cats from years ago including those GF losses to WC, and joined Freo at their inception; Why would I like WC?
Well, 92 would give you good reason to dislike the Eagles.
About rivalries, yeah they're good, a lot of it is like a pantomime though. I can't hate the Suns for example. I hope they go alright & Queensland footy gets stronger.
Rivalries are great when they actually stem from something solid ............ Fights in car parks .......... The Carlton v North Bloodbath in London ......... Yeats cleaning up Brereton in the GF, Close Hawks/Cats games, Kennett's big mouth ...... annual melees between sides where you know the players despise each other.
It's any particular incidents which I'm curious about.

I always throw an extra chip to one legged seagulls. I admire their willingness to never give up and not complain about their lot in life.
You're good on the sledge The Bombers are good with rivalries.

Yeah - and as a Victorian, I really like supporting Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond

... said no-one ever.
As a Victorian, I don't mind the Dogs, North & the Cats. Love seeing the Big 5 (include Hawks) getting rolled. Don't care about Melb or St.Kilda.

Whenever you read something arrogant and ignorant posted by a self-obsessed West Coast fan, multiply it by about a billion and you might begin to understand what Perth was like when it was a one team AFL town.
Did you follow the WAFL & a different AFL side before Freo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most eagles fans I know don’t really have an opinion either way on the dockers – they tolerate them and some don’t even mind them having a win and will barrack for them as a neutral (including me). I find its generally the dockers fans who have this inbuilt hatred of the eagles which I find funny. They get so wound up about it. My theory is that most of them were on the eagles prior to the dockers joining the comp, and then made the big decision to jump on the freo wagon when they started. If someone grew up in the freo area or grew up barracking for south or east freo I can understand them wanting to join the dockers bandwagon. I come from a long line of south freo supporters but joined the eagles as soon as they started. So had a loyalty to the west coast and stayed with them after the dockers joined the comp. The dockers supporters who annoy me most are the western / northern suburbs types, who had no real association with freo who thought it would be cool and edgy to join freo. They are the ones who seem to get most wound up about WC. I reckon its because they realise what a huge mistake they have made and have then developed massive chips on their shoulders, watching freo lurch from one disaster to the other in the early years, then have a few years where they dangled the carrot of success in front of the supporters, only to quickly fall back to the pack quickly, whilst during this whole time the eagles play finals, have the better win/loss record in derbys and win GFs.

You know the western suburbs are very close to Freo.

An eagles fans making an unfounded generalised statement on why Freo fans support Freo.
Basically this is why Freo fans don't like Eagles supporters.
Posts like the one above leads me to believe you are either a nuffie or a troll.

You know the western suburbs are very close to Freo.

An eagles fans making an unfounded generalised statement on why Freo fans support Freo.
Basically this is why Freo fans don't like Eagles supporters.
Posts like the one above leads me to believe you are either a nuffie or a troll.

No worries old mate - good luck for next year!

When? That's what I'm interested in.

Vids below of the most famous one - the 'Demolition Derby' - which kickstarted a lot of the bad blood. A total of 15 weeks suspensions came out of it.

Note that the eagles started it when a coked up Michael Gardiner came out swinging before the first siren (2nd vid), even though eagles fans have tried to rewrite history since then as Freo being the aggressors.

Last edited:
In their pure form as a club and supporter base we don't hate them*

But there is a massive asterisk there

How they have been treated by the media - and compared to how we have been treated - has led us to dislike the media in WA first and foremost, but West Coasts fan bases inability to see that both clubs have been treated differently (and still are) has made us dislike them. Plus the way both clubs are treated by the umpires has made us dislike the umpires - and in turn their inability to see that makes us dislike them more. Plus there's the arrogance and sense of entitlement they got after 92/94 and us starting first season 1995 was never going to make things easy for us lol

We have in it's purest form a healthy rivalry

tl;dr we don't *actually* hate them (or rather we didn't at the very start), just the way they are treated like media darlings and umpire darlings irks us and the fans not being able to see that - or acknowledge that

I will add the 2018 Grand Final was an absolute spectacle and the Eagles won that completely on their own - yes a lot lined up for them in terms of who they played on the way through and who got knocked out before they could play them, BUT they had to do what had to be done at the end of the day. It makes me sick, but good on them for winning that.

Now allow me to put my purple specs on; **** em. I hope they never win another game.

It's like each time a Freo supporter sees an Eagles supporter experiencing joy it causes them personal pain in their heart. These last few months must be particularly hard for Dockers fans. If you know one, treat it with kindness and respect. Some people just make poor life choices and end up falling through the cracks, they deserve our pity and support.

Birdbrain ... great username sums your post up perfectly.

No need to wish me luck mate, Ross and the boys could do with some though.
Mate I reckon you could perhaps tell Nat to stop rabbiting on about his choice of headband for next year… can see the old die hard wharfies from the port spinning in their graves. Probably why most west coast fans can tolerate freo or have limited opinion on them is because of the complete lack of success they have had. FFS I would love it if you guys had won a GF or two – that would really set the dockers up as a powerhouse and create the real rivalry most west coast supporters would love to see. Then you’d probably see more of us “hate” you! As a proud west aussie footy follower to see what freo have served up as a representative of our great footy state, you would have to admit, has been embarrassing for the most part.

Mate I reckon you could perhaps tell Nat to stop rabbiting on about his choice of headband for next year… can see the old die hard wharfies from the port spinning in their graves. Probably why most west coast fans can tolerate freo or have limited opinion on them is because of the complete lack of success they have had. FFS I would love it if you guys had won a GF or two – that would really set the dockers up as a powerhouse and create the real rivalry most west coast supporters would love to see. Then you’d probably see more of us “hate” you! As a proud west aussie footy follower to see what freo have served up as a representative of our great footy state, you would have to admit, has been embarrassing for the most part.

Now you are just trolling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back