List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA (Pt. 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barlow says hello
tim kelly too
The thing that sets those 2 apart from Gibbons is they are big bodies that could deal with the rigours of top level AFL. Also they would be considered the exception, not the rule. He could turn into a solid player, but calling out the Suns for missing out on him I think is a bit rough on them, but of course that is my opinion.

Don't need to worried, GCS have Heron,Dawson , GHS, Murdoch , Miles ,Corey Ellis .

Miles won the Liston medal alongside Gibbons...

Not bothered by this one bit. The bloke has been skipped over multiple times, if he was such a miss, people would be clamouring to pick him up. He has been left in the VFL for multiple years for a reason.
Yep, we signed the other Liston Medal winner in Anthony Miles. Michael Gibbons is a runt who plays well enough, but we do not need him on our list because we already have plenty of small players. I can't imagine Gibbons replacing Touk Miller, while Miles is a superior choice.

Another thing to remember is that this PSS is a new thing. Initially, players weren't supposed to train at clubs without a contract, but it seems powerful clubs like Richmond and Carlton have had the rules changed to suit them. In a way, it is unfair to clubs like ours because the main pool of players is in Victoria and clubs with a spare roster spot have half a dozen players training in competition for it.

However, the Suns have a whole group of undrafted Academy 18 year olds training with the main squad who are eligible for both a list spot and an extra year in the system playing either U18s or NEAFL. It may seem like the Victorian clubs have first crack, but I think the Suns have a chance to invest in local talent and there isn't a clock on it.

Thought the main fault of gibbons was his disposal.
A midget with below average disposal is not that enticing.

If we really wanted Gibbons could we not have picked him with #1000 in the rookie draft (not a real pick) and still have gotten him because he ended up going undrafted?

If we (or any club for that matter) actually thought he would add in any way to their midfields then he wouldn’t be trialling at Carlton for a spot in the pre-season.

If we really wanted Gibbons could we not have picked him with #1000 in the rookie draft (not a real pick) and still have gotten him because he ended up going undrafted?

If we (or any club for that matter) actually thought he would add in any way to their midfields then he wouldn’t be trialling at Carlton for a spot in the pre-season.
I feel like this player in particular is yet another example of the media's obsession with little blokes. AFL is a sport that is great for accommodating a lot of different body types, from the big lanky blokes to the zippy rovers and the boofy blokes up in the forward line. The perennial example on these pages is Dayne Zorko, who was repeatedly overlooked by the Suns, and the rest of the AFL, and kept winning B&Fs for Broadbeach before the Lions eventually picked him up. Even then, although one of the Lions better performers he has hardly set the world on fire and they wouldn't want another one like him or they'd be picking Gibbons off the street. Brent Harvey is the ultimate argument for drafting runts, while Eddie Betts and Paul Puopolo are other good exponents, while Shaun Hart would have to be my pick for being pound for pound the bravest player I've ever watched.

The Suns have loaded up on big units, but this season we weren't only the youngest team, but the lightest and shortest. While we need Harbrow, Ainsworth, MacPherson and Miller to provide zip and agility, we don't need another 175cm flashy 2nd grader to clog our list. Good luck to him at Carlton, but if he can't make it there then it's pink roses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't make sense not to fill it
A rookie contract to ensure there's enough feet on the ground when the injuries start piling up again
Someone like Andrew Swallow to be our NEAFL captain
Unless things have changed, Andrew Swallow can be used as a top up player in the NEAFL in a similar way to Eddie Sansbury this year. The Swans and Giants used coaches in a similar way this season.

Jake Spencer was the dominant ruckman in the NEAFL so if the Suns really do feel exposed at the ruck position they should sign him up. He was matching AFL listed ruckmen all year, twice beating Brisbane's Archie Smith and getting the better of Tom Nicholls in Round 1.

Marlion Pickett was flown over from WA for interviews and tour the facilities.

Tyler Roos had a terrific season for Southport, plus we'd no doubt get plenty of free advice from Roos Snr.

My favourite for the last rookie spot is Josh Williams, former Suns Academy, picked at #36 in 2016 by North Melbourne. Only played the 2 AFL games, but this season the Shinboners were competing for the top 8 and played with their more experienced players, with even Preuss stuck in VFL. He's a fast winger, maybe the fastest, and he's signed up for Southport so he's back in town.

I'm not a fan of this. Clubs spend a lot of resources in acquiring and developing some of these players.

Maybe clubs should be allowed to pay their first round draft picks more than the base wage.

E.g. Lukosius and Rankine could earn 400k in their first season.

But also make first round selections sign for a minimum of 3-4 years in their first contract straight out of the draft.

It's not even 2019 and talk of Lukosius potentially leaving is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of this. Clubs spend a lot of resources in acquiring and developing some of these players.

Maybe clubs should be allowed to pay their first round draft picks more than the base wage.

E.g. Lukosius and Rankine could earn 400k in their first season.

But also make first round selections sign for a minimum of 3-4 years in their first contract straight out of the draft.

It's not even 2019 and talk of Lukosius potentially leaving is just ridiculous.
Rather than pay their players like Lukosius & Rankine more clubs like the Suns and GWS prefer to give them the extra dollars when they extend for the next 2 years.
1. 100k
2. 100k
3. 650k
4. 650k

The clubs like Crows & Power would struggle to meet these types of numbers and the chance to retain them would be higher imo, The longer you have them there hopefully they feel apart of the club that they wont want to leave in 4 years time with the Suns hopefully playing finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back