Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance Garth Grimes
Vlaustin Astbury Houli

Garth's development will allow Rance to go back to playing 3rd man where he dominates.
Espicially with the new 6,6,6 rule, Rance's ablity to read the play and back himself in to leave his man will be huge
If we are playing teams going in with a short forward line he might have to sit out for a week but I’d be really keen to see this setup when possible. Everyone involved with him seems to rate him sky high.

Garth is a gun. I feel we'll end up trading Astbury. Otherwise Garth might not get a run for a while
Im thinking Dave Astbury if he has another good year there will be a few clubs throwing good cash at him to leave being uncontracted
Not sure if he is a free agent or not but we could see a few changes coming end of 2019

Grigg,Houli,Astbury,Ellis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think losing Dave is much more than having an onfield 'replacement'.
He has been an integral part of the fabric of this team, and one of the main reasons we have been able to win a premiership. You only have to hear Rancey speak about Dave and how much respect and love he has for him playing alongside him. Yes Garth may be able to get to Dave's level in time, but I doubt he will be able to replace the connection that the backline group has for each other. It would be different if Dave was 30+ and on the steady decline, then it makes sense. But Dave is in his prime, and we are right in the hitting zone for a flag. A better option would be to bring Garth in for Broad to play KPD instead of Rance, while Alex moves to the 3rd tall/interceptor. Grimes takes small/medium, Vlas small/medium with Houli/Short/Markov as rebounding defenders. Other games it might require Broad to come in to play the high defender, stopping those hitup lead players like Gunston ect. Horses for courses throughout the season, but one thing is for sure, barring injury, Garth will play 10+ games this year.

Dave Astbury is replaceable and his replacement is / will be ready if Dave decides to leave at the end of the year and it wont be the end of the world

If he decides he has a better offer and he should consider it , We lost Richo and won a flag

Rance also talked alot about Chaplin and how important he was , Chaplin left and We won a flag

1 Soldier out another in - Simple

Stop with the trade Astbury talk, it's dumb to begin with, but basing it on a 3rd (4th?) year player with TWO games under his belt (3?) is ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous.

Also, Dave is still reasonably young, so what the actual ****?

I think a lot of people are just taking a realistic approach

Do any of us *want* us to trade Astbury? No of course not in a perfect would we would never trade a player ever but because of the current landscape of the afl player movement is inevitable and from a list standpoint currently Astbury is the player in a lot of people’s minds that we have the most to gain and least to lose in terms of a trade situation

Like I said none of us want to trade Astbury but that dosent mean that it won’t happen

Stop with the trade Astbury talk, it's dumb to begin with, but basing it on a 3rd (4th?) year player with TWO games under his belt (3?) is ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous.

Also, Dave is still reasonably young, so what the actual ****?
Nobody is talking about trading him, but more that we could lose him as an UFA in the long term as we did with Conca. There is nothing ridiculous about
discussion on possible outcomes of players. I’m not sure there is a law against it. All that needs to happen is a club puts in a ridiculous offer like Freo did with Conca and we get priced out of it.
Did you watch those two games as Garthwaite really played at a high level with maturity for a kid and in reality we didn’t miss a beat.
Also long term Dave could seriously struggle fitness wise as it was rumoured he struggles for days after games to recover.
Another simple way of looking at it is looking at current value over potential value in the long term.
Dave CV=7 and PV=5 Also he will take more from our cap space. Dave is also very slow and won’t get faster. Garthwaite CV=6 bc he’s a more than adequate backup considering his age and he’s more mobile ,has a better leap and greater closing speed than Astbury.
His PV=8 and this is a minimum, but with our three champions in our BL with Rance Flossy Grimes he will slot in easily as it was seen in his two games.

Last edited:
Nobody is talking about trading him, but more that we could lose him as an UFA in the long term as we did with Conca. There is nothing ridiculous about
discussion on possible outcomes of players. I’m not sure there is a law against it. All that needs to happen is a club puts in a ridiculous offer like Freo did with Conca and we get priced out of it.
Did you watch those two games as Garthwaite really played at a high level with maturity for a kid and in reality we didn’t miss a beat.
Also long term Dave could seriously struggle fitness wise as it was rumoured he struggles for days after games to recover.
Another simple way of looking at it is looking at current value over potential value in the long term.
Dave CV=7 and PV=5 Also he will take more from our cap space. Dave is also very slow and won’t get faster. Garthwaite CV=6 bc he’s a more than adequate backup considering his age and he’s more mobile ,has a better leap and greater closing speed than Astbury.
His PV=8 and this is a minimum, but with our three chanpions in our BL with Rance Flossy Grimes he will slot in easily as it was seen in his two games.

I think there is also the list management standpoint in terms of payments for arguments sake we will say we will need to offer Astbury 600k a season to keep him on but we currently have Garthwaite on 250k a season that frees up 350k worth of cap space that can be used to keep more “essential” players at the club or help lure a trade prospect or free agent that we need more from a list standpoint

Once again just all numbers pulled out of my ass but there are multiple reasons why you would or wouldn’t trade Astbury or any player on the list for that matter

Why not? Are you 100% certain?
We lost Conca in similar circumstances this year and a lot of people didn’t think he would go. The football world of wheeling and dealing is amazing and filled with a lot of uncertainty.
Not similar at all imo. Astbury an integral part of the team, and gets up each week. Conca a minor player, who played very little. Nothing is certain, so not sure how you could that either. Rance could pull the pin too.

Why would Freo offer him big bucks then and why did Conca walk into our finals after a serious injury?He would have played every week if it wasn’t for his injury early on. Astbury’s career was also injury hampered early on and he doesn’t get up each week .
Every player on our list is integral to our present and our future performances.For example The Lids trade was crucial in us winning the 17 flag.
BD like could and should is personal opinion and speculation. For example Cotchin could leave as he once said he would retire if he won a flag. If you’re on the list then it’s best 22 and the last time I checked Rance was on it, but he’s not the topic of discussion here and not the point being made based on UFA as he’s in the top 25% earners at the club which makes him a FA .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back