2019 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing 5000 members isn't going to kill the club. We'll bounce back pretty quickly. It might make the chairman resign though.

It wouldn’t tickle either. 5000 members is worth approx $1.5 million (conservative average of $300 per membership). That’s more detrimental than not having a Joint Major Sponsor for 15 months.

Also Chairman Moi ain’t going anywhere until he gets his mug in the 2020 year book. There’s been absolutely zero accountability for on field performance, lack of sponsorship, poor contract management etc despite two internal reviews during his tenure so I doubt that a dip in membership figures would do the trick.

It wouldn’t tickle either. 5000 members is worth approx $1.5 million (conservative average of $300 per membership). That’s more detrimental than not having a Joint Major Sponsor for 15 months.

Also Chairman Moi ain’t going anywhere until he gets his mug in the 2020 year book. There’s been absolutely zero accountability for on field performance, lack of sponsorship, poor contract management etc despite two internal reviews during his tenure so I doubt that a dip in membership figures would do the trick.

This, because it's unfortunately correct. :(

Clubs like Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond have gone through years of s**t but it's their large supporter base that keeps it all together. I can't get around actively hoping that the Club will lose members and make financial losses because we've been poor on field for a time.
We had more members than Richmond like 3 years ago.

It's not as detrimental if it moves on the regime that couldn't find a JMS for 15 months.

Short term pain for long term gain.

It's not as detrimental if it moves on the regime that couldn't find a JMS for 15 months.

Short term pain for long term gain.

That’s the thing though, it won’t. It’s short term pain for zero gain.

IMO all it would do is cause management to cut $1.5mil in spend from other departments in order to protect the net figure they have to report at the end of the year.

Yeah I dont blame the blokes who aren't renewing to show their disgust in the s**t show we've become. That is their right and prerogative. I myself wouldn't do it, but i feel something just as effective would be no longer attending games. I didnt go to the last 2 home games this year because I was simply sick of this team, their playing style and the coaching.

Crowds dipping will be the biggest wakeup call to the club. Perception equals reality. Large crowd dips (not membership dips) will enforce change quicker than anything else.

That’s the thing though, it won’t. It’s short term pain for zero gain.

IMO all it would do is cause management to cut $1.5mil in spend from other departments in order to protect the net figure they have to report at the end of the year.
I don't accept this at all. It can and will have an impact. If not on this regime, then on how the next regime conducts itself. We absolutely need to be seen to refuse to accept this bullshit as a supporter base or we'll just become St Kilda.

Crowds/membership/revenue being down along with another poor year will put the blowtorch on Koch and KT at the very least.

I don't accept this at all. It can and will have an impact. If not on this regime, then on how the next regime conducts itself. We absolutely need to be seen to refuse to accept this bullshit as a supporter base or we'll just become St Kilda.

Crowds/membership/revenue being down along with another poor year will put the blowtorch on Koch and KT at the very least.

Why do you think you need to do something? Honestly, do you think the football club exists to make money or some s**t? Every club has the key aim of winning the flag every year. If they aren’t doing it, they don’t need you telling them what they are doing wrong.

Supporters show up no matter what.

Customers take their business elsewhere.

Why do you think you need to do something? Honestly, do you think the football club exists to make money or some s**t? Every club has the key aim of winning the flag every year. If they aren’t doing it, they don’t need you telling them what they are doing wrong.

I think a lot of us are hoping whatever magic, alchemical, ruthless Port Adelaide way of operating will come back soon. That something we think no other footy club has ever had. :D

Yeah I dont blame the blokes who aren't renewing to show their disgust in the s**t show we've become. That is their right and prerogative. I myself wouldn't do it, but i feel something just as effective would be no longer attending games. I didnt go to the last 2 home games this year because I was simply sick of this team, their playing style and the coaching.

Crowds dipping will be the biggest wakeup call to the club. Perception equals reality. Large crowd dips (not membership dips) will enforce change quicker than anything else.

Like I said on the previous page, making the personal decision to do this is fine. It's encouraging others not to show up and not renew that's bullshit.

I think a lot of us are hoping whatever magic, alchemical, ruthless Port Adelaide way of operating will come back soon. That something we think no other footy club has ever had. :D

Alchemy requires death of the ego so it can be integrated into the divine Self.

You look at every premiership side, and it’s always filled with individually skilled players who sacrifice their game to be part of the collective.

Those that think their pissant little protest is going to help with that when they are displaying the qualities of egoism are sorely mistaken. All the players will see when they look at the empty seats is a bunch of losers who sing when they are winning.

Come on you know exactly how a 5k dip would be spun.

“Remember when our membership was sub-30k only a few years ago? Ken wears his undies on the outside!”

Zero change.

I'm not doing anything. I am however sympathising with those that choose to show their dissatisfaction with the management of the club in the only meaningful way they can.

The ego problem at the club isn't with the supporters or the players, it's at the top level. We haven't moved a single key decision maker on despite 4 years of failure with a premiership quality list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on you know exactly how a 5k dip would be spun.

“Remember when our membership was sub-30k only a few years ago? Ken wears his undies on the outside!”

Zero change.
I'm hoping the agitators we currently have in the media (K Cornes, no wait that's too obvious, let's call him Kane C) don't allow that through to the keeper.

Somebody get Caro on the blower.

Alchemy requires death of the ego so it can be integrated into the divine Self.

You look at every premiership side, and it’s always filled with individually skilled players who sacrifice their game to be part of the collective.

Those that think their pissant little protest is going to help with that when they are displaying the qualities of egoism are sorely mistaken. All the players will see when they look at the empty seats is a bunch of losers who sing when they are winning.
We've been playing football that I wouldn't associate with PA for the past 4 years. And prior to that as well. Why have we been allowed to go so far away from that? The times I remember our supporters being most passionate during games is when we've won the ball back from opponents through sheer will, desperation, force, ruthlessness, teamwork etc and were able to score goals from these situations. That's when you get the most buy in from our supporters. I don't think it's from winning games through beautiful football or dour defensive football. It's the football I mentioned above that I grew up with that would have our supporters at fever pitch. Haven't seen anything remotely like that for a long time. I'll still go but sort of understand why other boycott.

I'm not doing anything. I am however sympathising with those that choose to show their dissatisfaction with the management of the club in the only meaningful way they can.

The ego problem at the club isn't with the supporters or the players, it's at the top level. We haven't moved a single key decision maker on despite 4 years of failure with a premiership quality list.

I guess that’s the difference. I always believe we can win a flag cause you never know when it’s going to click - but I don’t think you have a premiership quality list until you actually win a premiership. So my expectations are always circumspect about what this team can achieve, based on what they’ve shown consistently on field.

Oh I agree, I'm more just interested in the right of people to protest without suffering the same "go support the crows" garbage I got for holding up a sign.

People absolutely have the right to protest in any way they see fit. Whether it’ll achieve anything constructive is another point entirely.

I think Papa G’s suggestion is probably the best balance. A crowd boycott (as opposed to a membership boycott) sends a message, arguably a better one due to the public embarrassment, and without completely f@&king us over financially.

But hey to each their own. Membership is a big personal financial commitment for most of us and if it’s enough to tip you over the edge then fair enough.

I guess that’s the difference. I always believe we can win a flag cause you never know when it’s going to click - but I don’t think you have a premiership quality list until you actually win a premiership. So my expectations are always circumspect about what this team can achieve, based on what they’ve shown consistently on field.

I guess it's semantics, like the terms "elite" or "superstar".

I think our list was good enough to have won this year's flag if they were motivated and playing under the right gameplan. I think our best football is better than what West Coast and Collingwood served up on Grand Final day. That's what I mean by premiership quality list.

I also think we can click and start blowing teams away, but we're now in year 4 of seeing glimpses of that in what is otherwise bad football. I think a huge part of our issue is that there is a lack of accountability at the club from top to bottom. If I could pick 1 person to lose their job immediately, it'd be Koch, because ultimately he's the numero uno and while he's in charge, even if we change CEOs, coaches and players, they're just going to be replaced by people who fit in with his philosophy.

There is literally no other way to protest though. Nothing meaningful. I'm not giving up my membership because I have a front row seat that i'd never get back, but how does the rank and file member protest outside of reducing or withdrawing their membership?

I made a sign with my feelings about the coach and copped a torrent of abuse at the game and online. I currently pay for 2 platinum memberships and i've been a member since 1997. I copped abuse from people that would have seen me sitting in front of them for every home game since at least 2013, questioning my support of the club and telling me to go and support the Crows.

We don't have a meaningful board vote at this club. Literally the only way we can vote is with our feet. My motivation to use my tickets to attend games isn't particularly high at the moment, we'll see if that changes when the season rolls around.

Hinkley (and specifically his extension) is just a symptom of a wider problem though, a problem that can be solved by voting with our feet. He's going nowhere, but heads need to roll above him for the last 4 years and our current plight. There is no accountability from top to bottom.

The idea that you don't care about the club if you're withdrawing your membership is moronic. We're a strong club who can afford a small financial hit if it means moving on some of the old furniture that has found itself lodged in high profile positions at our club. We're not St Kilda and unless we really like what St Kilda have done with the place, we need to demand better. If that means people want to withhold their membership fees until changes are made, those people have that right.

The analogy completely ignores the control and guidance and discipline you have over a child. If my kid ****s up, some of that is on me. The only control I have over Port Adelaide is how much of my time and money they get each year.
At the end of the day, everyone was put on notice. We traded players that didn't want to be there and now if we don't make it this season I can assure you, people will be leaving.

At the end of the day, everyone was put on notice. We traded players that didn't want to be there and now if we don't make it this season I can assure you, people will be leaving.

I've just heard it all before. I heard Koch insist that questions will be asked and people will be moved on and all that kind of bluff and bluster for the last 4 years.

Since we were last a genuinely good football team in 2014, the Chairman is the same, the CEO is the same, the head of the footy dept is the same, the head coach is the same, the most senior assistant coach is the same. We haven't won a final in that time despite going into 2015 as premiership favourites.

If Wingard and Polec had to go, they had to go, but it's sick that they were traded while all of Koch, KT, Davies, Ken and Voss hold their places.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back