Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it could be very different to that . Lots of players now with versatility . No guarantee the new guys play straight away - and will those that missed time last year get back in on past record ? Anyone naming a Suns team now is seriously guessing IMO. And - that's the way it should be..

Those free hit 3 mature agers really throw a spanner into the team.

Up forward and down back.

It is an interesting point Whiting made about our midfield having depth.

They may not be the best midfield but there is rotation there. Using the team he named as an example.

Weller
Swallow
Sexton
Martin
Ainsworth
Miles
Miller
Fiorini
Horlin Smith
Bowes
Young
Hanley

They are all capable of running through the middle, some better than others but there is definitely rotation there. I would personally put Brodie in ahead of Young so you could change them over as well.

The depth is there, now we just need the sprinkling of class A graders through that group to push it on. Hopefully the likes of Bowes, Fiorini, Brodie and Ainsworth can take that next step this year and become consistent B or even A graders.

Looks too small to me. How do we match up in a caldron forward line of
McGovern
Curnow
Fasolo
McKay

Or Collingwood
Cox
Mihocek
Degoey

Essendon
Stringer
Daniher
Mckernan

Freo
Hogan
Lobb
Cox

Etc etc.
Surely need someone capable of playing on a third tall. Neither Joyce, ah chee or Hanley are.

Burgess or Ballard in for me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks too small to me. How do we match up in a caldron forward line of
McGovern
Curnow
Fasolo
McKay

Or Collingwood
Cox
Mihocek
Degoey

Essendon
Stringer
Daniher
Mckernan

Freo
Hogan
Lobb
Cox

Etc etc.
Surely need someone capable of playing on a third tall. Neither Joyce, ah chee or Hanley are.

Burgess or Ballard in for me.

You're spot on. Mick Whiting has chosen a small side with only 4 genuine talls. I'm thinking 6 talls (I don't count Corbett as a tall at 190cm) maybe 7 against opponents with 3 genuine tall forward threats that might be vulnerable to 3 tall forwards of our own. Another consideration is to go in completely committed to out-marking the opposition and choose 3 tall defenders, 3 tall forwards and 2 ruckmen, which you wouldn't do every game but against certain opposition it would overwhelm them. 6 talls minimum and don't expose Peter Wright as the backup ruckman if there's a perfectly good option in Sam Day who can swing back.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 1.39.22 pm.png
Front row: Rischitelli, Fiorini, Holman, Bowes
Second row: Horlin-Smith? Collins? someone???, Miles?
Little help!
P.S. I believe Ainsworth is the legend in the 7th row dropping the hand signal

View attachment 595957
Front row: Rischitelli, Fiorini, Holman, Bowes
Second row: Horlin-Smith? Collins? someone???, Miles?
Little help!
P.S. I believe Ainsworth is the legend in the 7th row dropping the hand signal
1st: rischa, fiorini,holman, bowes
2nd: ghs, collins, luko (maybe?), weller
3rd: ballard, brodie, hanley, martin, corbett, murdoch
4th: mclennan, rankine, dawson, macpherson, powell, schoenfeld

can't tell after that haha.

1st: rischa, fiorini,holman, bowes
2nd: ghs, collins, luko (maybe?), weller
3rd: ballard, brodie, hanley, martin, corbett, murdoch
4th: mclennan, rankine, dawson, macpherson, powell, schoenfeld

can't tell after that haha.
Joyce is behind Schoenfeld, next to Lemmens (they all look the same in caps)
Back in row 10 is Goober by the window, middle is Leslie, Nicholls leaning out into the aisle.
Same row, far left has to be Witts, and behind him Rory and Burgess.
Thought Luko might be way back, behind Nicholls and next to 2MP.

This is great. He's obviously an intelligent kid. Wonder what he'll study on the Gold Coast? Hope it is one of the top courses that can't be matched anywhere else like Environmental Engineering or he does an obscure strand of Law that will take 6 years.
As long he enjoy what he study don't really matter imo .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is great. He's obviously an intelligent kid. Wonder what he'll study on the Gold Coast? Hope it is one of the top courses that can't be matched anywhere else like Environmental Engineering or he does an obscure strand of Law that will take 6 years.
Haileybury College would be ecstatic. Not only did they produce two top 6 draft picks in the King twins, but obviously they did a good job of educating Ben as well (and possibly Max too). I know some on here don't value private school education as much as others, but you have to admit the type of character these APS schools in Melbourne often produce is of a high standard. St Kevin's graduate Touk Miller is one that comes to mind.

Now the battle is on for Griffith and Bond to land Benny as a student.

Haileybury College would be ecstatic. Not only did they produce two top 6 draft picks in the King twins, but obviously they did a good job of educating Ben as well (and possibly Max too). I know some on here don't value private school education as much as others, but you have to admit the type of character these APS schools in Melbourne often produce is of a high standard. St Kevin's graduate Touk Miller is one that comes to mind.

Max score 97.8

I don’t value this continual push of privilege, elitism, pushing the concept of imaginary people on children that will harm them if they do something trivial and finally the protection of pedophiles in preference to maintain a reputation.
Other than that private education is unreal.
Well done Haileybury-I’m sure Ben’s parents, friends, role models, junior coaches etc had little to do with his character development.

Max score 97.8
Best thing that could happen has been for Ben to step out of Max's shadow. Being compared in EVERYTHING - Max is little bit taller, Max was always the preferred forward, Max got picked higher in the Draft , Max got picked by his favourite club, Max got to stay in Victoria, Max got a higher ATAR.

Screw Max King! Hope he enjoys playing for Sandringham behind Josh Bruce Paddy McCartin. It should give him plenty of time to study!

Max score 97.8
In that case, Haileybury would be over the moon with the two King twins!
I don’t value this continual push of privilege, elitism, pushing the concept of imaginary people on children that will harm them if they do something trivial and finally the protection of pedophiles in preference to maintain a reputation.
I can see your point of view and much of what you've pointed out is fair but there is no such thing as a perfect system. There are going to be people with sinister intentions in all walks of life and, sadly, sometimes these things are unavoidable/unpredictable. All you can really do as a parent is try to give your child the best possible opportunities/education with the information available at the time.

Karmichael Hunt is a good example of a graduate from an elitist school who seemingly had everything going for him but was secretly living a very destructive life. I'd guess Churchie are nowhere near as proud of him as they once were. Sadly, we (and the Reds) have suffered as a result of what K did but his character was very highly rated for almost the entirety of his tenure with us. That's what I mean when I say these things can be unpredictable.
Well done Haileybury-I’m sure Ben’s parents, friends, role models, junior coaches etc had little to do with his character development.
I think your environment has a heavy influence on your trajectory TBH. Would the Kings be as highly rated going into the draft if they had attended your run of the mill high school? Hard to answer but we know they benefitted from first class key position coaching at Haileybury with the likes of Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd coaching them on a weekly basis. As unfair as it may seem, kids who don't attend those elitist schools aren't afforded the same opportunities like the one I just mentioned.

But I appreciate your point of view and understand private schools have their flaws as well.

Last edited:
In that case, Haileybury would be over the moon with the two King twins!

I can see your point of view and much of what you've pointed out is fair but there is no such thing as a perfect system. There are going to be people with sinister intentions in all walks of life and, sadly, sometimes these things are unavoidable/unpredictable. All you can really do as a parent is try to give your child the best possible opportunities/education with the information available at the time.

Karmichael Hunt is a good example of a graduate from an elitist school who seemingly had everything going for him but was secretly living a very destructive life. I'd guess Churchie are nowhere near as proud of him as they once were. Sadly, we (and the Reds) have suffered as a result of what K did but his character was very highly rated for almost the entirety of his tenure with us. That's what I mean when I say these things can be unpredictable.

I think your environment has a heavy influence on your trajectory TBH. Would the Kings be as highly rated going into the draft if they had attended your run of the mill high school? Hard to answer but we know they benefitted from first class key position coaching at Haileybury with the likes of Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd coaching them on a weekly basis. As unfair as it may seem, kids who don't attend those elitist schools aren't afforded the same opportunities like the one I just mentioned.

But I appreciate your point of view and understand private schools have their flaws as well.
Put simply, Gold Coast Private Schools are NOT going to be able create any sort of competition for AFL kids that will come within 100 years of rivalling what has grown in Melbourne. All the funding for this kind of thing is better reserved for Public Schools and affiliated clubs given the outstanding record they have done without private ducation.

Way to tar a huge sector with one brush.

No doubt there are individuals who work at select schools that have done wrong things. The same could be said if people in every sector.

You manage to say that friends, role models, parents etc are contributory to why he has achieved so highly (which is 100% true) yet in the same breath have suggested it is the fault of ‘private education’ when kids have issues with ‘privilege and elitism’ surely the parents friends, role models, coaches AND school environment etc are responsible along with the individual for outcomes at both ends of the spectrum. That goes the same for kids at public school at catholic school who are home schooled.

My sister who teaches at a private school certainly doesn’t continually push elitism.

So black and white it’s a joke.

Put simply, Gold Coast Private Schools are NOT going to be able create any sort of competition for AFL kids that will come within 100 years of rivalling what has grown in Melbourne. All the funding for this kind of thing is better reserved for Public Schools and affiliated clubs given the outstanding record they have done without private education.
We don't need a schooling competition like the one in Melbourne. We just need one that's supportive of the development of footballers. The academy pathway up here compensates for the lack of local resources/standard at the school/club level. Also, you have very little faith that significant change can be achieved in the private schools but it wasn't that long ago when people would have laughed at you if you had suggested PBC would produce multiple AFL draftees in one year, let alone seven in four years.

Things can change if people are dedicated to achieving change!

Every off season we go through all this debate and then there are injuries at training and in pre-season games and all this talk becomes totally irrelevant

Dear pessimist, optimist and realist,

While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it.

Sincerely,

Mr Bods featuring Peel

We don't need a schooling competition like the one in Melbourne. We just need one that's supportive of the development of footballers. The academy pathway up here compensates for the lack of local resources/standard at the school/club level. Also, you have very little faith that significant change can be achieved in the private schools but it wasn't that long ago when people would have laughed at you if you had suggested PBC would produce multiple AFL draftees in one year, let alone seven in four years.

Things can change if people are dedicated to achieving change!
It is true that I am biased against private schools because I don't believe education should be an unequal playing field. The best education system in the world is in Finland, where there are no private schools at all. Public schools in Finland have achieved a level of equity so that the gap between the highest and lowest achievers is the narrowest of all OECD countries.

Of all the kids who have come down from FNQ and got drafted, Bowes, Heron, Graham, Preuss, Williams, plus Koenen, Greenwool, Lowah, Gilmore, Miles, Dreghorn and Haua (might have missed a couple) there must have been a tonne of cash spent on scholarships and boarding. All these players seem spread across a lot of clubs, but I don't know which schools they go to.

PBC got where it is by importing a bunch of players to go with their locally grown talents and there has been significant funding to continue boosting other schools on the Sporting Excellence pathway. PBC also has a partnership with PBCAFC that is mutually beneficial which I don't know exists quite so symbiotically elsewhere.

The challenge for the Academy from 2019 and beyond is to coordinate U17, U18 and U19 players for the NEAFL, U18 TAC Cup (which has quotas for U19), U18 National Championships (U19 also eligible), and QAFL. Where High School footy fits in all that remains to be seen. Perhaps kids on a sports/academic pathway should be offered scholarships at the schools willing to award such a prize and the Academy can coordinate their footy.

Most of the boys go through Griffith due to its affiliation with the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back