Prediction 2019 Draftees - Who will be the stand outs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't if they went with a strategy to obtain as many 1st round picks as possible targeting kids less likely to up sticks and leave - particularly after what they have just gone through.

They just lost a few franchise players over the last few years in Gaz, Lynch, Omeara, (along with May and Kolo) -3 picks in a great draft to replace them. Held their nerve and kept their draft hand for which I applaud them-it's up to Dew ,Evans etc. now to get Luko, Rankine and B King to hang around.

They just lost a few franchise players over the last few years in Gaz, Lynch, Omeara, (along with May and Kolo) -3 picks in a great draft to replace them. Held their nerve and kept their draft hand for which I applaud them-it's up to Dew ,Evans etc. now to get Luko, Rankine and B King to hang around.
yep, but I think they are pushing a barrow up a very big hill to do so

What about Chayce Jones - Tasmanian - crows took him at pick 8 so he must be pretty highly rated and no go home factor applies. From memory Jackson Hately indicated his preference was to move interstate - another top 10-12 player - there is 3 off the bat including McLennan that would happily move and 2 of them were top 10 rated
Jordan Clark said his preference was to move to Victoria.

Absolutely. I have tried to make this point on our boards that GC made a mistake not trading down for more 1st rounders and go for a small target strategy to try and mitigate the go home factor after what has just happened to their club. But I am in the minority it seems however I am uber confident that my predictions will come to pass that these guys won't stay long at GC and the big loser will be Gold Coast when they did not have to be. Now this article might be a bit of scuttlebut but also there may very well be a conga line of clubs heavily tracking Luko, Rankine & King and to be fair I would be filthy if the crows were not front and centre considering both Luko and Rankine are big fans of the club and are from Adelaide.
GC needed to draft a couple of top line KPP's, to make up for losing Lynch and May. There weren't any KPP's outside of the King Twins and Lukosius that didn't present as a possible flight risk worth trading down for.

Who were GC to target if they traded down? They already have a heap of young inside and outside mids, small forwards and small backs. They needed to boost their KPP stocks.

They already have two first round picks for next years draft, along with potentially up to half a dozen academy kids worth drafting next year, most of whom play mid or small forward positions.

If you didn't bother to read my reasons why then i cant help you..

They are silly reasons. You don't trade out of the top 2-3 when these talents are clearly the best 3 in the draft. You back your system to develop these talents. There was a huge gap between the top 10 and the rest of the first round.

My argument has been all along how to minimise the hill for them - they have not done that in this draft imo

It is a bit pathetic to be concentrating on another clubs draft picks a few weeks after the draft. Maybe you should just focus on not destroying the culture at your own club over this off season and perhaps making the top 8.

It is a bit pathetic to be concentrating on another clubs draft picks a few weeks after the draft. Maybe you should just focus on not destroying the culture at your own club over this off season and perhaps making the top 8.
Why because what i say about a strategy after what GC have gone through actually makes sense. I am guessing you didn't hear the SEN team discussing that clubs apparently are already sounding Lukosius out...

As for destroying the culture at my club this off season - are you privy to something about the club that has happened this off season because apart from Talia needing minor surgery - everything else is going absolutely fine by all reports.. please elaborate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are silly reasons. You don't trade out of the top 2-3 when these talents are clearly the best 3 in the draft. You back your system to develop these talents. There was a huge gap between the top 10 and the rest of the first round.
Nah - not silly if you saw what just happened to GC this year. And is there a huge gap between the top 10 and the next 10 - on paper there were some more highly rated but there were plenty that went in the 11-20 mark that are going to be great players too - this was a very deep draft by all reports

Nah - not silly if you saw what just happened to GC this year. And is there a huge gap between the top 10 and the next 10 - on paper there were some more highly rated but there were plenty that went in the 11-20 mark that are going to be great players too - this was a very deep draft by all reports

There is a gap. They needed to get some KPP- the difference between King and Lukosis and the other tall options (considering Blakely wasn't an option). They didn't need more smalls and medium smalls, they have a bucketload coming through their Academy over the next few years.

Adelaide don't even want to keep pick 19 in this year draft . There are some obvious gap in talent .

hang on - they got offered a likely top 3 pick for it and what will likely be a late first. Deals like that don't tend to happen often
Next year draft top 3 pick versus this year pick 19 and Adelaide future first round pick .
I rated this year top 7 a lot higher than next year top 7 pick and GC could end up with 2 top 3 pick in .2019 also. You only trade down if somebody offer you over.

Last edited:
Next year draft top 3 pick versus this year pick 19 and Adelaide future first round pick .
I rated this year top 7 a lot higher than next year top 7 pick and GC could end up with 2 top 3 pick in .2019 also.
To be fair - any club if you offered a top 3 pick for a latish 1st and what was almost a 2nd rounder - the club is going to bite your arm off for that deal

To be fair - any club if you offered a top 3 pick for a latish 1st and what was almost a 2nd rounder - the club is going to bite your arm off for that deal
To be fair what can you offer GCS pick 3 ( Rankine )this year to trade down maybe pick 9 and pick 19 . Nearly the same as the Carlton trade .

And yet you’re arguing that GC should have traded out of the pointy end of the draft this year to have access to more lesser rated players.

oh come on - read my previous posts in this thread. I specifically say that any other club would take best availabel - GC have had the worst retention issues by some distance and after what has just happened

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-the-stand-outs.1209686/page-3#post-59096154
GCs already have GHS, Miles , Corey Ellis , Murdoch , Holman , Young , Burgess ( 4 years contract) , Collins , Hombsch , Corbett ( 4 years contract) don't need drafting the same type but just younger ( 18 years old ) in the squad .

Last edited:
oh come on - read my previous posts in this thread. I specifically say that any other club would take best availabel - GC have had the worst retention issues by some distance and after what has just happened

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-the-stand-outs.1209686/page-3#post-59096154
The problem is you're argument is weak. It doesn't appear to be a coincidence that after a surprising drought, SA produced some great talent this year either.

It's certainly understandable to be disappointed the Crows weren't able to manouver to keep the cream, it would feel right to me if you could. It always looked impossible though.

It's the Suns job to look after their interests anyway, and not their fault.

I've read them. Your argument amounts to Gold Coast should draft mediocre (or lesser, anyway) talent that may leave them rather than top end talent that may leave them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back