Prediction Proposed Pies Rd 1 team, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first three rounds we might come up against Hawkins, Lynch and Kennedy at CHF. Not sure that Langdon can hold his own against them. Also if Moore is fit, think full back might be the wrong position for him because one of the advantages he offers is mobility apart from marking strength. Surely further up the ground allows for this.

A fit Elliott has to play which brings into question the position of Josh Thomas.
Moore at CHF would be ideal, but then we’d have to select Dunn/Roughead at full back with one Langdon or Howe sliding out to a flank.

Both Howe and Langdon are too good to leave out, so ultimately the question is do we gain more by via an extra tall or an extra runner? For mine it comes down to opposition and against those sides you’re correct the extra tall would provide more value.

In a best 22 scenario though, which is how I’m treating this I’m picking what I consider our best side without factoring in the opponent and I prefer the smaller structure.

Edit: In terms of Thomas with DeGoey playing more forward late 2018 JT spent more time in the middle. With Beams coming in midfield minutes are going to be a rarer commodity meaning that’s not an option unless he’s rotating with Beams/Sidebottom. I have Thomas in a battle with Elliott and Wells for one spot, although there’s room to include two if we go smaller down back.

Last edited:
We’re beginning to strike a nice balance with a core group of 14-16 locked into the 22 and around one dozen on the fringes, most of whom have AFL experience or exposure.

This time last year our best 22 was a lot less certain with approximately 10 fixed in the starting lineup and those outside a lot less proven and experienced.

12kilos

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am suprised only a few of us have taken a punt on one or two suprise packets who usually put there hand up in round 1.
Players that have either trained the house down in preseason or have performed very well in the JLT preseason games.
Would like to see at least a couple of youngsters in round 1 either Quanor, Brown Brothers, Murphy Daicos
You would hope all of them or at least most of the above except Quanor who is in his first year show significant improvement.
It will also be interesting to see how the older 1st to 4th year players go ie Mihocek American dream Madgen you could even put Thomas in that category as his playing in his 3rd year after a 2 year suspension

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am suprised only a few of us have taken a punt on one or two suprise packets who usually put there hand up in round 1.
Players that have either trained the house down in preseason or have performed very well in the JLT preseason games.
Would like to see at least a couple of youngsters in round 1 either Quanor, Brown Brothers, Murphy Daicos
You would hope all of them or at least most of the above except Quanor who is in his first year show significant improvement.
It will also be interesting to see how the older 1st to 4th year players go ie Mihocek American dream Madgen you could even put Thomas in that category as his playing in his 3rd year after a 2 year suspension
To me Nathan Murphy is the one that would be in the category you suggest.

But I guess most can only select a first team based on the know pre any preseason games, training etc.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty much a mugs game to try and select a best 22 this far out from round 1 with so many variables still to play out but if forced to a starting point would be focusing on the 4 or 5 players from our grand final side you see as being the most vulnerable to omission.

With a full, fit and in form list to choose from:

Out:Varcoe
In:Elliott

Out:Mayne
In:Beams

Out:Aish
In:Moore

Out:Goldsack
In:Dunn

Out:Greenwood
In:Wells

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
B: Brayden Maynard, Lynden Dunn, Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Brody Mihocek, Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Adam Treloar
I/C: Travis Varcoe, Tom Phillips, Brayden Sier, Josh Thomas

Very reliable depth/match ups: Sack, Mayne, Wells, Shaz, Greenwood, Aish

Young talent hopefully pushing through: Quaynor, Murphy, Appleby, Daicos

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wells will be lucky to play another 3 senior games for the pies. Has done nothing in 2 years to be "best 22"
If he’s fit and going he’ll be perfect for us.
Elite skill.
Played 10 games 2017 and we won 7 1/2 games on memory or thereabouts.
Broke his foot last year.

He’s far superior to most on our list talent, skill, footy smarts wise.

If he’s healthy he makes us a better side, translated we have more chance of winning games,
equals he gets selected.
It’s that simple.
:)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wells is no longer best 25 let alone best 22..
Stop living in the past
Really?

If fit and going (and that is ofcourse the key) you’re right he’s not best 25 let alone best 22
He’s best 10!
It’s like another Pendlebury.

You think Cox and De Goey wouldn’t drool if Wells has ball in hand?

Skill, talent and class....

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
I'm not so sure that Dunn is going to be a lock in that KDP post.
Historically you'd have said yes but coming off his ACL- I daresay Roughead and even Reid (if he stays fit) could be first selected in that position to support Moore at CHB of course.

Mihocek should also be a certain starter in the best 22 because his size and ability to cover the ground (let alone his uncanny ability to also influence the scoreboard) was invaluable last season.

Beams and Elliott are certain locks in round 1 if both are fit.

The players who would be "nervous" from last season's best 22 IMO, would be Mayne, Aish, Greenwood, Varcoe and Goldsack. (3 of these guys have only one year deals going into next year too).

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he’s fit and going he’ll be perfect for us.
Elite skill.
Played 10 games 2017 and we won 7 1/2 games on memory or thereabouts.
Broke his foot last year.

He’s far superior to most on our list talent, skill, footy smarts wise.

If he’s healthy he makes us a better side, translated we have more chance of winning games,
equals he gets selected.
It’s that simple.
:)
He isn’t healthy. His body will get worse not better. Last few games he has looked poor.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He isn’t healthy. His body will get worse not better. Last few games he has looked poor.
I’ll take your doctor diagnosis on advisement :p

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My current Round 1 and basically best 22:

B: Langdon, Dunn(?), Maynard
HB: Howe, Moore, Crisp
C: Phillips, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
HF: Hoskin-Elliott, Mihocek, Thomas
F: Elliott(?), Cox, De Goey
R: Grundy, Beams, Adams
INT: Treloar, Stephenson, Sier(?), Varcoe(?)

At this stage I have 18 “locks”. I have Dunn question-marked due to recovery from injury. Not sure that he’s a guaranteed Round 1 return but still have him best 22. Geelong will have Hawkins and probably Ratogolea so two key backs should play I think. Opens up the door for Roughead, Goldsack or maybe even Reid or Madgen I’d form warrants it. If fit, Scharenberg would be another option but he’s currently out of my best 22.

Elliott question-marked for the same reason, not sure he’ll be right to go Round 1. Clear best 22 otherwise. If not fit roll Stephenson back into the forward 50 (although I have him earmarked for more wing minutes next season) and replace Stephenson on the bench with one of the following players. As for the forward mix, Cox and De Goey are absolute locks, as is a fully-fit Elliott. I’m a big Mihocek fan, can take a mark and very good at ground level for his size. I think he’d be a nightmare third-tall matchup for opposition coaches but as it stands his the pseudo second-tall. Structurally I think the team would be better-served with Moore at CHF roaming the wings (leave Cox the FWD 50) but, even from just a couple of games there at AFL-level, Moore does look a more natural key back. Leaves Thomas and Hoskin-Elliott, I see a couple omitting Thomas but I think he stays over Hoskin-Elliott. Thomas has the better ground level game, and arguably is our best crumbing forward. Hoskin-Elliott a better marking forward but plays pretty similarly to Elliott, and I think Elliott’s the better player. For that reason, if push came to shove (e.g. more forward minutes for Stephenson) I’d keep Thomas. Could possibly play Hoskin-Elliott on a wing similar to 2017 which he did quite well at. I see room for all of them at the moment.

Sier and Varcoe I have as the last two picked, both spots I see up for grabs. Beams’ inclusion is definitely going to force changes to the midfield rotation. I don’t like that the AFL site has just thrown Adams into a wing to try fot everyone in, Adams isn’t a wing. I think Sidebottom probably loses centre square minutes and goes back to a predominantly outside/wing role. A bit of a shame as he’s coming off a career-best year. Pendlebury I see as nothing but a centre-square midfielder. Adams and Beams I see as centre-square midfielders but can be rolled forward for something different. Treloar I have starting on the bench but like Swan think he could make a real impact coming off the bench as a centre-square and outside midfielder. As for Sier, he’s a player I see as a centre-square midfielder and that’s it. There’s no doubt he’s good at it but I wonder, with the inclusion of Beams, if Sier’s place in the best 22 is better-served with a more outside/utility type. Varcoe I have as the last player picked with a number of players that could come in and play a role depending on how the match committee want to structure. Wells, Aish, Mayne, Greenwood could come in as utility-types. Could be a spot for Appleby, Murphy or maybe even Quaynor to add some defensive cover. With a big preseason Daicos, C.Brown or maybe even Broomhead could get a spot in Round 1, I think these three are coming from a bit further back than some of the others though.

In the first three rounds we might come up against Hawkins, Lynch and Kennedy at CHF. Not sure that Langdon can hold his own against them. Also if Moore is fit, think full back might be the wrong position for him because one of the advantages he offers is mobility apart from marking strength. Surely further up the ground allows for this.

A fit Elliott has to play which brings into question the position of Josh Thomas.
Agree on Moore is better suited to chb, but if JT does not play who is our small ground ball forward cause Elliott is not at this stage

Really?

If fit and going (and that is ofcourse the key) you’re right he’s not best 25 let alone best 22
He’s best 10!

Soz, but we are talking Wells 2019 version. Preseason would have to prove me wrong here but he is afew yrs older / slower then the version you think off when he came to us.
Case in point the Q B'day clash.

Look at the 3:06 sec mark.
Can you imagine Wells and DeGoey bursting out in tandem like Treloar and DeGoey did?
That is our brand of football. That was one of the best passages of play we did this season: Fast, ferocious, swooping.
Wells can deliver alright but Cox only needs the ball high up in the air an DeGoey can win/bring his own.
For balance I would leave Wells out: Steele, Beams and Pendles have enough skills between them to supply the fwd line.

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really?

He’s best 10!

Like I said living in the past my friend ......
Will not play more than 5 games and less than 20 in total at the pies

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Soz, but we are talking Wells 2019 version. Preseason would have to prove me wrong here but he is afew yrs older / slower then the version you think off when he came to us.
Case in point the Q B'day clash.

Look at the 3:06 sec mark.
Can you imagine Wells and DeGoey bursting out in tandem like Treloar and DeGoey did?
That is our brand of football. That was one of the best passages of play we did this season: Fast, ferocious, swooping.
Wells can deliver alright but Cox only needs the ball high up in the air an DeGoey can win/bring his own.
For balance I would leave Wells out: Steele, Beams and Pendles have enough skills between them to supply the fwd line.

This

For some reason people on here feel the need to stick up for wells..
Maybe they just can't accept it's been a disaster.
Was wells a gun back in the Day?? Clearly he was.
Did I want him to succeed in the black and white?? Bloody oath..
Sometimes the game just goes past players

This

For some reason people on here feel the need to stick up for wells..
Maybe they just can't accept it's been a disaster.
Was wells a gun back in the Day?? Clearly he was.
Did I want him to succeed in the black and white?? Bloody oath..
Sometimes the game just goes past players
IMHO It is more testament of the strength we got in our midfield. I don't mind a good mix of speed & silk in our team. If it wasn't for Beams the acquisition, Wells would have a spot in my team too. Wells will play a number of games but only to cover for an suspended/rested/injured player. And that will be more then 5 I reckon.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sier and Varcoe I have as the last two picked, both spots I see up for grabs. Beams’ inclusion is definitely going to force changes to the midfield rotation. ............................................................................................................................................................ As for Sier, he’s a player I see as a centre-square midfielder and that’s it. There’s no doubt he’s good at it but I wonder, with the inclusion of Beams, if Sier’s place in the best 22 is better-served with a more outside/utility type. Varcoe I have as the last player picked with a number of players that could come in and play a role depending on how the match committee want to structure.
I entirely disagree with your thoughts on Sier. I see him as one of the first, not last picked, and certainly don't see his spot as 'up for grabs'. If a 29 year old Beams has been recruited to play his role in the 22 then I think our recruiters have erred bigtime in trading for him. Sier is not an outside player - he revels in close in work, is lightning fast under extreme pressure in affecting a handball to a player in space, is built like the proverbial brick shithouse, and would be utterly wasted as an outside/utility. And unlike Beams, under pressure he doesn't just throw the ball on his boot and hope for the best. Some of his kicks to De Goey, Cox, Stephenson and others in the forward line have been superb.

I may have grossly misjudged his worth as a player prior to this year but would now actually prefer him to Beams in the team as I think he has heaps of upside whereas Beams is approaching the end of his career. I don't know how selectors plan to fit both players into the team, but if Sier plays VFL or some peripheral role, I am going to switch my allegiance to some third rate outfit like Gold Coast rather than watch Sier usurped by an aging ex-hero, who a few years back, couldn't get out of the club fast enough.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Supporters are too infatuated with the glorious ‘7 1/2 from 10’ of 2017 when it comes to Wells. He played four games this year and was awful in three of them. Definitely not in the best 22 without some strong VFL form beforehand.

If we needed him to win games before then we don’t need him for that purpose anymore - the team won without him with absolute ease this year. There’s 9 or 10 pure midfielders who offer more than he does on a weekly basis.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
:wineglass:Nice drop! :D

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Supporters are too infatuated with the glorious ‘7 1/2 from 10’ of 2017 when it comes to Wells. He played four games this year and was awful in three of them. Definitely not in the best 22 without some strong VFL form beforehand.

If we needed him to win games before then we don’t need him for that purpose anymore - the team won without him with absolute ease this year. There’s 9 or 10 pure midfielders who offer more than he does on a weekly basis.
Wells’ reputation only grows with every game he misses on here.

I doubt he is in our 2019 plans at all.
His body will deteriorate worse this year as he gets older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back