Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he is less than adequate at times. Something for an attacking player turned defender 21 year old 51 game player to work on. And Grimes whilst great defending has plenty to work on as a attacking defender, (which he did for the first year this season.)
Short is less than adequate defensively at all times. He's almost 23, by the way.

Grimes is a champion. If he was gifted the amount of pill Short is he'd have 20 disposals per week. Unfortunately, he and his mates have to work harder defensively to cover for Short's complete lack of ability in this area. Besides, Grimes always takes on the attacking kick and hits a higher percentage of targets than "bomb it long and wow metres gained" Short.

Defensively he is shite, but that is why he should play wing imo. this can maximise his long kicking, even tho this can be very iffy.
You have to be able to win contests to play wing. Unless you're an elite runner like Phillips from the injuries. Short is not an elite runner, and he gets pushed off the ball by skinny 18-year-olds. You're right about one thing: his kicking is overrated. Panic merchant under any sort of pressure and more often than not just kicks it as far as he can.

There are three phases of the game: we have it, they have it, or it's in dispute. Short is good at one of them, as long as he'd not under pressure.

I'm praying that one of Markov, Menadue or Naish step up and take his place asap.

Grimes is a champion. If he was gifted the amount of pill Short is he'd have 20 disposals per week. As it is, he always takes on the attacking kick and hits a higher percentage of targets than "bomb it long and wow metres gained" Short. Short is less than adequate defensively at all times. He's almost 23, by the way.

You have to be able to win contests to play wing. Unless you're an elite runner like Phillips from the injuries. Short is not an elite runner, and he gets pushed off the ball by skinny 18-year-olds. You're right about one thing: his kicking is overrated. Panic merchant under any sort of pressure and more often than not just kicks it as far as he can.

I'm praying that one of Markov, Menadue or Naish step up and take his place asap.
I agree in part that he really tailed off. Agree that when out of form he looked panicky at times. Early in the season when he was up and going that wasn't noticeable, unless you are really looking for it. Okay, 22 not 21 last season. Still young for a bloke who has never played back before. But, he would not want to fall back into late season form, as like Brandon Ellis, you only get games for so long before you get overtaken.

Short is less than adequate defensively at all times. He's almost 23, by the way.

Grimes is a champion. If he was gifted the amount of pill Short is he'd have 20 disposals per week. Unfortunately, he and his mates have to work harder defensively to cover for Short's complete lack of ability in this area. Besides, Grimes always takes on the attacking kick and hits a higher percentage of targets than "bomb it long and wow metres gained" Short.

There are three phases of the game: we have it, they have it, or it's in dispute. Short is good at one of them, as long as he'd not under pressure.

Haha i absolutely love how much you hate short, feeds my soul

He isn't immune from responsibility. Watch the reply...

Grimes, Vlastuin, Rance, Astbury

Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Nank, Lambert, Edwards, Graham

Lynch, Riewoldt, Caddy, Rioli, Higgins, Butler

Above would be ahead of him, I think most would agree. Then you have guys like Houli, Mcintosh, Ellis going for similar spots in the teams and the younger crop (like Short)might too improve; Markov, Naish, Menadue
Grrr answered your first point.
Now on your second point you’ve listed a heap of players , yet none in the main batch of yours play in his position. So there’s a vacsncy there already.
In your batch of similar positions I stated Houli was getting on and he missed a lot with injuries .kmac and Ellis are there , but I prefer them on the wings. When I count the number of players where you get to Ellis I still count 20 players which I rest my case he’s still best 22. Naish is nowhere near ready and Menadue doesn’t have a defensive bone in his body at AFL level and is a panic merchant. Markov has hope , but is highly injury prone so imo Short is best 22 from what you’ve put up.

From memory Rance, Riewoldt and Short were our only three players to play every game this last season? Madness to say he’s not best 22 now all of a sudden.

Tiges won the flag and stopped losing games* when Broad came in for Short**. Coincidence, the club did not drop a game after, Short went out of the side? (iirc)

** round 18ish
* the loss of the Cats aside, which was unlucky with injury and umpires

Nobody said he was immune from responsibility. Young player making his way with major upside, but not quite there yet. Sure he needs to step up defensively a bit, but far from a liability. His finals weren't that good, but he's not alone there.
Graham is a mid that gets about 10 possessions a match.

I probably shouldn't have included Graham.

MacIntosh similar

i didnt have him as a certainty

, and Butler can go weeks without winning a hard ball.

Bit like our friend Jayden..

Its more of a problem for Short to not get a hard ball at a key time than Butler. Because it often results in a goal against Richmond. Unfair yes but that is the life of a back pocket.

Haha i absolutely love how much you hate short, feeds my soul

I doubt any Richmond fan hates him. Everyone just wants the strongest possible team / to win the premiership again

Last edited:
I’d say that our d50 rebound football is one of our real weaknesses along with i50 conversions.
We’ve got Lynch to fix the latter and I’ve real optimism that Shorty can fix the former. Long, smart kicking on either side of his body sounds like something we would pray for if we didn’t have it.
Shorty s**t his pantaloons in both finals - people have “short” memories about some of our current players early finals records...

Short shits his pants in regular games too. Other players' early finals records are irrelevant. We're not trying to win elimination finals anymore, we're aiming for flags. Our standards are higher.

On rebound, Short at best is an overlap runner, not a line-breaking one. His kicking is long, but regularly not smart. In the second Collingwood game, for example, one of his kicks was marked by a teammate, and that was a short pass from a kick-in. Four of his long kicks were marked by Collingwood players, and one went out on the full.

Tiges won the flag and stopped losing games* when Broad came in for Short**. Coincidence, the club did not drop a game after, Short went out of the side? (iirc)

Boy, is that some flawed logic. We also didn't lose a game with Townsend in as our second tall in 2017 - does that mean we should play him over Lynch?

Short shits his pants in regular games too. Other players' early finals records are irrelevant. We're not trying to win elimination finals anymore, we're aiming for flags. Our standards are higher.

On rebound, Short at best is an overlap runner, not a line-breaking one. His kicking is long, but regularly not smart. In the second Collingwood game, for example, one of his kicks was marked by a teammate, and that was a short pass from a kick-in. Four of his long kicks were marked by Collingwood players, and one went out on the full.
Was that also the game when he kicked 2 goals from outside 55m. If you recognise the failings then recognise the good.

I’m pretty confident Shorty’s best footy is in front of him.
Currently he avg 20 touches at a tick under 80%. Almost half of those touches are either rebound or inside 50’s with a quarter of them as score involvements.
His decision making is sound, his execution good.
Putting it together in finals is a question, I’ll reiterate that it’s happened to all of our players so I think we can allow him one poor campaign.
Houli, Grigg, Ellis, Conca were all a waste of space in finals until 2017. I’m not sure how you can justify that is ok but Shorty is not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't lost a single game with Lynch in the side.

Broad flogged Adelaide's Lynch in the grand final, thank Christ Short wasn't in the side.
Broad is at the height in which he can play on smalls and talls, and he has speed and grunt. He covers for all our backs including Rance, Grimes and Astbury.

Broad is at the height in which he can play on smalls and talls, and he has speed and grunt. He covers for all our backs including Rance, Grimes and Astbury.
Broad in 2017 was as you mentioned above. 2018 he barely troubled the stats man. Rance could play Broad's roll and bring in Garth or Balta.
Broad needs to find a lot more of the ball or he will struggle. Grimes upped his possession/rebound/marking last season, so you never know.

Was that also the game when he kicked 2 goals from outside 55m. If you recognise the failings then recognise the good.
Yep, it was the game Collingwood was asleep and let him receive two handballs from teammates and launch under zero pressure. No one in the league will ever let him do that again.

Houli, Grigg, Ellis, Conca were all a waste of space in finals until 2017. I’m not sure how you can justify that is ok but Shorty is not
Short's shortcomings were just as obvious in the regular season. Allow me to reiterate: he's soft, small, physically weak, not quick, no good overhead, doesn't win his own ball, can't stop his opponent, spectates, and panics.

Put the ball in his hands and he's good, otherwise he's a liability. All those others have more strings to their bow: they can run, they can mark, they can win contests.

Houli has always been one of our better finals players. And again, I'm measuring against premiership standard, not elimination finals.

Trent Cotchin was not really great in some of the finals games prior to 2017
Jesus H. Effing Christmas

Broad in 2017 was as you mentioned above. 2018 he barely troubled the stats man. Rance could play Broad's roll and bring in Garth or Balta.
Broad needs to find a lot more of the ball or he will struggle. Grimes upped his possession/rebound/marking last season, so you never know.
Broad doesn't get beaten.

Yep, it was the game Collingwood was asleep and let him receive two handballs from teammates and launch under zero pressure. No one in the league will ever let him do that again.
You are probably right there, although after the first goal who would have thought they'd give him a second. Another point is the fact that he can roost it from 55m, maybe only Dusty can do that. I don't think anyone is saying he is a defender per say. And I also see flaws, but I'll back him to get better.

Broad doesn't get beaten.
No Broad doesn't get beaten, but neither do any of our defenders, Grimes, Vlastuin, Rance and Astbury are all strong defensively, and Houli isn't bad these days (remember when he was being slated for exactly what you are saying of Short). But Rance could take Broads spot in a heartbeat and add great rebound. I like what Broad brings, but he offered almost nothing last half of the year offensively. Attacking half backs are vital.

We have been extremely lucky the past 2 years with injuries and have not had to call upon reserves but this will not last for ever with players getting close to 30 years of age - Broad is 25 years old
Rance - 29
Astbury - 28 (in feb)
Grimes - 28 (in july)

Last edited:
I can’t believe what I’m reading on here. It must be funny season and AFLX time.

There's always been an anti-Short faction on this board.
Led with great persistence by the redoubtable 'the flea' if I have been paying proper attention.
Houli was often criticized as having no defensive game when he first started with us.
No one seems to mention that anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back