Science/Environment Culling of Wild Animals

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, "cull the sharks, i wanna surf"
"**** the forrests"
"Lets frack"
"Cats killing wildlife" - bad
"Humans killing wildlife" - meh

Double standards abound.

Culling sharks specifically for human safety is bs. I surf, and the other surfers I know all agree that it's a risk we take upon entering their territory. Fatalities from sharks are incredibly rare, particularly when compared to the millions of humans who hit the beach every sunny weekend.

Most deadly animals in Aus:
https://www.australiangeographic.co...-really-most-likely-to-kill-you-in-australia/

Cliffs: horses, cows, and dogs are the top 3.

As for cats, I have an outdoor one to control vermon. Rescued her as a kitten from the vet, raised her around baby ducks and chicks, who she never gives a second glance to. She's a gun with rodents and small rabbits, but is yet to bring a bird to the door (or anything else). I think her friendship with the poultry has lead to her ignoring birds, and the natives are plentiful here. No more chewed electrical cables or rat s**t in the oven!

There are a couple of tiger snakes and others that live on or near the property. Have left them alone thus far, but got pet insurance for the dogs as anti venom is $750 a vial, and can take multiple hits to cure a dog.

Mice are probably next on his kill list. He's got a few birds and a couple of blue tongues over the years. And weirdly one time he left a yabbie on the doormat. He's not killing any threatened species.
How would you know?
Plenty of Australian native rodents that are threatened...
Likewise with native bird species
Even a blue tongue... id rather see one of those than a cat.

How would you know?
Plenty of Australian native rodents that are threatened...
Likewise with native bird species
Even a blue tongue... id rather see one of those than a cat.

I reckon more rodents get run over by cars. Do you want to ban them?

You can buy blue tongues at the pet shop these days. Cute looking but nasty hissing little bastards. I'd rather have a cuddly cat.

I reckon more rodents get run over by cars. Do you want to ban them?

You can buy blue tongues at the pet shop these days. Cute looking but nasty hissing little bastards. I'd rather have a cuddly cat.
No. I want to ban cats
They are narural predators that kill for fun

As a young fella if we shot a young doe, we would just take the hind leg off and give the rest to the dogs.
Cooking it we would slow roast it with strips of bacon placed over it to take the "gamey" (is that a word?) taste outta it.
Old boomers, we would not feed that to the dogs as there was a risk of them getting worms or sick from them.
The bacon thing I've used for rabbit. It's a common technique to add fat to lean meat and stop it drying out when roasting. I've eaten Roo tail soup from a young roo but that's it. Love rabbit.

Kangaroo is a decent enogh low fat meat. If bbqd it needs to have aluminium foil on top and after coiking, sprinkle with salt and wrap it in silver foil for 3 - 5 minutes. This will moisten it nicely.
It does well in curries also...

Not a double standard unless you think humans are the equivalent to animals.
"I care about wildlife when it's killed by cats, but don't give a s**t about wildlife when it's killed by people".

Nah, no double standard there.

In other words, there is no care for wildlife involved here. It's about hating cats. It's a pity people wouldn't at least be honest about it.

"I care about wildlife when it's killed by cats, but don't give a s**t about wildlife when it's killed by people".

Nah, no double standard there.

In other words, there is no care for the wildlife involved. It's about hating cats. It's a pity people wouldn't at least be honest about it.
Ah, I see what you mean. Fair enough.

Full disclosure - can't stand cats.

Statements like that rarely make it out of psychiatric wards. There is something seriously wrong with you.
Sorry if reality isnt how you want it to be but fish arent all that different from plants in regards to consciousness. Time to deal with it. The only pyschotic people are those who are willing to sacrifice humans so creatures not much different from plants can survive.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, I see what you mean. Fair enough.

Full disclosure - can't stand cats.
Hahah
I don't mind cats myself but id like to see every one if them gone from Australia.

Domesticated ones can all die of old age for all i care...
They can all be desexed and no further ownership allowed

Sorry if reality isnt how you want it to be but fish arent all that different from plants in regards to consciousness. Time to deal with it. The only pyschotic people are those who are willing to sacrifice humans so creatures not much different from plants can survive.
Slaughtering a species that is 99.99% harmless to humans so that bogans can feel a bit safer those 3 Saturdays a year that they leave the city for a swim? Yeah, nah.

To put things in perspective: the suicide toll in Australia = around 3000 people per year. The road toll, around 2000. The shark toll? A whopping 1.6 per year (the same as bees). Where would you focus funding?

Slaughtering a species that is 99.99% harmless to humans so that bogans can feel a bit safer those 3 Saturdays a year that they leave the city for a swim? Yeah, nah.

To put things in perspective: the suicide toll in Australia = around 3000 people per year. The road toll, around 2000. The shark toll? A whopping 1.6 per year (the same as bees). Where would you focus funding?

Yes absolutely agree with this.

... and some thought about the potential damage to the oceans ecosystem would be good.

I know we are a selfish species but shark culling has got to be up there with the most useless and arrogant things we do in the name of making our world safer and more fun. Very few attacks but lets embark on genocide so we dont have to worry about sharks at all.

Who said anything about slaughter? Shark nets near beaches will do. And does the slaughter of plants really matter to you? These arent mammals with feelings. Even most vegetarians eat fish.

And its not just about stopping human deaths either. Its about stopping injuries and encouraging more people to have fun in the water. Regardless of statistics many people are irrationally fearful and dont go in. Deaths and injuries would also be much higher by the way if there were not nets in most key tourist hot spots.

Last edited:
Yes absolutely agree with this.

... and some thought about the potential damage to the oceans ecosystem would be good.

I know we are a selfish species but shark culling has got to be up there with the most useless and arrogant things we do in the name of making our world safer and more fun. Very few attacks but lets embark on genocide so we dont have to worry about sharks at all.
Selfish species? We are far less selfish then nearly every mammal on the planet. What a ridiculous comment.

Selfish species? We are far less selfish then nearly every mammal on the planet. What a ridiculous comment.
It’s said that empathy and self-consciousness is what separates us from the animal kingdom.

You cannot judge an animal by human standards. It’s like calling a baby ‘selfish’. I don’t think it’s possible.

I don't get why people get so misty eyed about sharks. Take them off the endangered list for recreational fishermen within 5 kms of the coast, problem solved.

Last edited:
"Cats killing wildlife" - bad
"Humans killing wildlife" - meh

Double standards abound.
In your head, maybe.

There are quite a few of us around who would be quite happy to take measures to cull the human population as well, given the opportunity.
The kind of people who make excuses for cats would be a good start, in that regard. Or those who make stupid comments like yours.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of culling land animals unless it's snakes or spiders. But I'm glad to hear shark populations have dropped 90%. All man eating sharks, saltwater crocodiles, blue ringed octopus etc should be culled into the point of extinction.

More species have become extinct than there are alive today. I see no problem with culling 5 or so species of man eating fish and making our oceans habitable for humans. Infact if there were no sharks more people would surf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back