Bulldogs 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
'2019 List Analysis'

I have broken the list (44 players) into three groups, containing 15/15/14 players respectively: a) Core Group b) Cusp Group c) Development & Insurance Group, to illustrate our depth and the opportunities that await us this season.

Bevo's mantra is to get games into a high proportion of the list - around 38 players in each of his three season to date. With this in mind, the analysis below highlights the strength that we possess.

1. Core Group: 15 star-quality players that I consider to be our best, who, barring injury, should expect to play every game this season.

Wallis
Bontempelli
Dunkley
Hunter
Wood
Macrae
McLean
Boyd
Richards
Liberatore
Naughton
Daniel
Morris
Johannisen
Picken

This Core Group is central to our success. If they remain healthy and in form, then 7 regular spots remain to support our biggest stars.

I consider these 15 to pick themselves, not only in terms of talent, but also in their importance to our structure.

Of the 15, a few of them have question marks beside their names: Tom Boyd is perhaps the most critical. If he can play to his best consistently (yes, like THAT game) and he is allowed to settle as a power forward, then I expect that we will be a force. Some of you may also suggest that an ageing Dale Morris may be on the decline, but expect the terminator to again defy logic and science to play an important role again this year. And Liam Picken's health will be closely monitored and his ability to get on the park is one of the big question marks which may define our year. Can he? Maybe Will he? Yes.

2. Cusp Group: 15 middle-tier players that I consider to be in fierce contest with one another for the remaining spots in the team.

Suckling
Lewis Young
B. Smith
Trengove
Crozier
Cordy
Schache
Duryea
Gowers
Lipinski
Dickson
Dale
Williams
English
Jong

Half of these can expect to regularly be in our starting 22, but that will be dependent on many factors, including form, injury, team balance, loading and opponent.

Expect Gowers, English, Suckling, Dickson, Williams and Trengove to be at the forefront of this group, while the final spots will be hotly fought for each week. Pressure and competition is healthy and wonderful.

I see Tim English as a modern Scott Wynd and would not be surprised if he emerges as a force this year. But it is Schache that I am most wanting to take the next step, from the Cusp Group. If he can be that mobile CHF and aid Tom Boyd by hitting the scoreboard regularly, it will reduce pressure on our midfield to score.

3. Development and Insurance Group: The final 14 players who I consider will provide the necessary depth to enable our core 15 and rotating cusp group to replenish themselves and to perform a role in their absence. Of this final 14, traditionally, half a dozen will play senior footy at some point, with that number being greater if injury hits hard, as in recent times. Lets hope the gods are with us this year though (please!)...

West
Roberts
Webb
Llyod
Porter
Greene
Lynch
R. Smith
Cavarra
Hayes
L. Young
Sweet
Vandermeer
Khamis

Expect seasoned players such as Roberts and Webb to get opportunities at some point, while new players such as West, Cavarra and gun prospect Bailey Smith to press for selection.

Simpy put, our depth is a blessing and those who are selected in the final 22 each week will know that they've earned it!

Best 22 - 2019 AFL Premiers
B: Morris Naughton Richards
HB: Daniel Wood Johannisen
C: Macrae Wallis Hunter
HF: Dunkley Boyd McLean
F: Gowers Schache Picken
Foll: English Bontempelli, Liberatore
Int: Suckling, Williams, Cordy, Dickson
Emerg: Crozier, Jong, Trengove, B. Smith

VFL Premiers
B: Webb Roberts Young
HB: Crozier Khamis Duryea
C: R. Smith Lipinski Hayes
HF: Cavarra Lynch B. Smith
F: West Trengove Llyod
Foll: Sweet Dale Jong
Int: Greene, Porter, Young, Vandameer

no way Boyd qualifies for the A group. Not sure if Richards belongs either.

Suckling, Crozier, Cordy, Trengove and Dickson should be however.

Lynch should be in the B group too!

Team Black- Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter, Jackson Macrae, Toby McLean,
Jason Johannisen.

Team Blue- Sam Lloyd, Bailey Dale, Easton Wood, Matthew Suckling, Taylor Duryea,
Hayden Crozier, Bailey Williams, Tim English, Josh Schache, Zaine Cordy, Brad Lynch.

Team Red- Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Billy Gowers, Tory Dickson, Roarke Smith,
Caleb Daniel, Dale Morris, Tom Boyd, Jackson Trengove, Fletcher Roberts, Lin Jong.

Team Green- Will Hayes, Ben Cavarra, Fergus Greene, Patrick Lipinski, Rhylee West,
Ed Richards, Aaron Naughton, Lewis Young, Bailey Smith.

Team Beige- Callum Porter, Laitham Vandermeer, Liam Picken, Lukas Webb, Jordon Sweet,
Buku Khamis, Lachie Young.

The perfect picture contains lots of Black and Blue with a splash of Red and Green just to add
a little colour to the mix. Not expecting too see much Beige in the portrait depending on the
progress of Picken and Webb although I kind of wish Picko had retired for his own benefit as
concussion issues rarely stop when you retire. I was going to name the groups after movies,
but colours were far less offensive..

Stopped reading when I saw Cordy wasn’t in your ‘Core Group’.

...then carried on out of grim curiosity, only to realise you left out Bailey Williams too! Probably the player I’m most excited about this year.

Must have a different opinion. Funny about that.

Do you think the use of a large proportion of the list under Bevo has been an intentional move on his part, or a result of necessity due to injury (and, over 2017--18, poor form too)?

I can tell you what Bevo tells the players over preseason.

Every single players on the list starts on a level playing field.

Who would have picked Gowers to play every game. For all we know Cavarra could play every game.

I think its more important in today's game to have a game plan which everyone buys into and plays to the strength of the list and then foot soldiers to carry out the game plan. The game plan has to suit what you have on your list. Eg:

2016 Premiers "Western Bulldogs" brought manic pressure to the AFL with a team first attitude some core seniors "peaking" and some good kids. Also road the emotion of the finals.
2017 Premiers "Richmond" extended our version with an even smaller fleet footer forward pressure.
2018 Premiers "West Coast" had great key backs precision ball use from the back half delivering to big forward key forward.

Quite different strengths of West Coast compared to Bulldogs/Tigers.

It will be interesting to see what Bevo comes up with.

Its pretty low-level analysis and theres already a dozen similar threads been made this offseason
Then contribute to the analysis or move on to the other dozen. Unsure what you hope to offer with your current approach to the conversation.

I can tell you what Bevo tells the players over preseason.

Every single players on the list starts on a level playing field.

Who would have picked Gowers to play every game. For all we know Cavarra could play every game.

I think its more important in today's game to have a game plan which everyone buys into and plays to the strength of the list and then foot soldiers to carry out the game plan. The game plan has to suit what you have on your list. Eg:

2016 Premiers "Western Bulldogs" brought manic pressure to the AFL with a team first attitude some core seniors "peaking" and some good kids. Also road the emotion of the finals.
2017 Premiers "Richmond" extended our version with an even smaller fleet footer forward pressure.
2018 Premiers "West Coast" had great key backs precision ball use from the back half delivering to big forward key forward.

Quite different strengths of West Coast compared to Bulldogs/Tigers.

It will be interesting to see what Bevo comes up with.

Spoke to Chris Grant on weekend and he is very optimisitic that if we get our best players on the park then we can challenge again this year. "They're a really great group this year", he said. It was interesting that he stressed that injuries have been the key factor in our underwhelming results. Let's hope we can have some luck and good management with injuries this season and get back to finals.

Do you think the use of a large proportion of the list under Bevo has been an intentional move on his part, or a result of necessity due to injury (and, over 2017--18, poor form too)?

His mantra is to blood youth and reward performance. Injuries have forced his hand for three seasons in a row, but I think you'd see the same players getting games, just in more sparing bursts and in a more controlled manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stopped reading when I saw Cordy wasn’t in your ‘Core Group’.

...then carried on out of grim curiosity, only to realise you left out Bailey Williams too! Probably the player I’m most excited about this year.

I think Williams will be important for us this year. You'll notice he is in my best 22 and although not currently in my core 15 due to his output to date. I'm hoping that this will change by season's end, and share your enthusiasm for his upside.

Similarly, Cordy is in my best 22, but just off the pace compared to the quality in the leading group IMHO.

Cavarra to be a first year revelation and Greene to explode and have a breakout year
Forward line woes fixed!

Cavarra has had over 100 scoring shots in the last two years, after winning the VFL League B&F in 2016. Gun and may form a deadly alliance with Dickson, Gowers, Schache, Boyd and Picken.

Cavarra has had over 100 scoring shots in the last two years, after winning the VFL League B&F in 2016. Gun and may form a deadly alliance with Dickson, Gowers, Schache, Boyd and Picken.

Sorry mate that is a god awful forward line

Dickson and Picken :( are done

Schache and Boyd aren’t good enough to lead a forward line.

Gowers is already a month behind

If that’s our forward line I think we are in massive trouble

Sorry mate that is a god awful forward line

Dickson and Picken :( are done

Schache and Boyd aren’t good enough to lead a forward line.

Gowers is already a month behind

If that’s our forward line I think we are in massive trouble

Gowers hasn't missed a beat of running with his hand injury. Club says he will be cherry ripe for Round 1.
Schache and Boyd were Picks 1 and 2 in their drafts as full forwards. The latter was stiff to not win a norm smith, so I'm thinking they are more than good enough.
Dickson and Picken are veterans and time will tell whether their bodies can sustain one more year. I'm certainly backing them in, as has the club. You can write their epitaph at your own peril...

Gowers hasn't missed a beat of running with his hand injury. Club says he will be cherry ripe for Round 1.
Schache and Boyd were Picks 1 and 2 in their drafts as full forwards. The latter was stiff to not win a norm smith, so I'm thinking they are more than good enough.
Dickson and Picken are veterans and time will tell whether their bodies can sustain one more year. I'm certainly backing them in, as has the club. You can write their epitaph at your own peril...

Hope Gowers is right I like the way he goes about it.

Picks one and two mean nothing mate. I give you Jack Watts. Both worry me greatly. I think Boyd has it but can he make it happen. Schache does zero for me I’m not e pectong much at all.

Picko would be a huge in but I fear he may not play again from what I’m hearing.

I’d Dickinson plus it means blokes like Gowers, Greene, Lipinski, and co haven’t progressed which isn’t great.

I think we will replace jig out forward line and either Crozier or Richards wil lapend more one up there

You are forgetting Lloyd who plays week one if fit

The chances of our forwardline being fixed with 2 blokes plucked out of the VFL are slim at best. I've got faith in Schache's ability as a lead up forward but would need to see massive improvement in a short time to really transform our forward line.

I personally think the forwardline will improve this year but we'll still be one of the worst sides forward of the ball in the competition

Hope Gowers is right I like the way he goes about it.

Picks one and two mean nothing mate. I give you Jack Watts. Both worry me greatly. I think Boyd has it but can he make it happen. Schache does zero for me I’m not e pectong much at all.

Picko would be a huge in but I fear he may not play again from what I’m hearing.

I’d Dickinson plus it means blokes like Gowers, Greene, Lipinski, and co haven’t progressed which isn’t great.

I think we will replace jig out forward line and either Crozier or Richards wil lapend more one up there

You are forgetting Lloyd who plays week one if fit

Names will and do mean little if our forward entries continue to be as poos as they have.

The last few games last season when we improved both our ball use and movement we were kicking winning scores.

We only need to continue our improvement in this area and we can have a rapid improvement.

The pies had a very average forward line on paper, back line too for that matter, but a dominant midfield.

I may be wrong but beleive we are well on the way to building a dominant midfield too, better than 2016, so would hope that translates to a much stronger finnishing position

Never know when you’re joking, Scrag. He’s gonna be some player though. I think I’m in love with the lad.
Scrag doesn't joke/troll all the time. Only when his fingers are on the keyboard.

Never know when you’re joking, Scrag. He’s gonna be some player though. I think I’m in love with the lad.

100% serious about Williams. I wasnt sure about him for a while but the signs he showed this year were very promising. Elite skills, great pace, strength in the contest, great overhead. Hes a complete player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back