Training 2019 Giants Preseason

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
The challenge will be what happens if he gets homesick.
The aboriginal kids are absolute GUNS but it is understandably hard for these boys to be away from family long term.

However from everything I have seen hill is super chilled and happy. Here is hoping he breaks the trend because he is a top bloke and a top footballer

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The aboriginal kids are absolute GUNS but it is understandably hard for these boys to be away from family long term.

However from everything I have seen hill is super chilled and happy. Here is hoping he breaks the trend because he is a top bloke and a top footballer

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Going by social media, seems Zac Williams already assuming the big brother role

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Going by social media, seems Zac Williams already assuming the big brother role
Good to see.

I think Zac might get some benefit from his time out last year. A chance to see the big picture coaching the NEAFL and mentoring Lachie in the HBF role.

Dont know the player dynamics but I wonder if he's a chance for the leadership group.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Anyone have any thoughts on which players could be picked to play in the AFL X?
I would be ok with all the 1st and 2nd year players except Bonar and then the fringe players although I think each team will be asked to allow 1 star/A grader play and I think with the 25 players per team they will probably only play 20-30 minutes of game time anyway but maybe Tomlinson as he is durable and a good runner
I think they should have gone with the state teams as that way some parochialism will come into it but from reading it sounds like Marvel must be putting in significant money
Not sure on the format but I would imagine 3 games each and then the final for the 2 top teams

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Anyone have any thoughts on which players could be picked to play in the AFL X?
I would be ok with all the 1st and 2nd year players except Bonar and then the fringe players although I think each team will be asked to allow 1 star/A grader play and I think with the 25 players per team they will probably only play 20-30 minutes of game time anyway but maybe Tomlinson as he is durable and a good runner
I think they should have gone with the state teams as that way some parochialism will come into it but from reading it sounds like Marvel must be putting in significant money
Not sure on the format but I would imagine 3 games each and then the final for the 2 top teams
Pretty sure Zac William's will be playing for the indigenous team if he wants to, and is fit. It would look petty otherwise.

I doubt Kelly or Toby, both have had post season surgery and their pre-seasons will be carefully scheduled.

I agree Tomlinson and I'd include Whitfield. Tommo and ideal tall if you play one and AFLX will suit both. Langdon maybe.

Last year we nominated Scully and Whitfield and Scully was withdrawn from injury.

There's a fair bit of money on offer for the players this year, and it's low contact/risk. We might actually nominate players who need the cash but would they get selected in the query I guess.

In general I dont think we'll want to be seen as recalcitrant and it is one day in Melbourne.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
The breakdown of the age demographic of the club with a possible best 22 (23 listed) in bold
2000 6 Caldwell, Hately, O'Halloran, Hill, Idun, Brown
1999 5 Bonar, Taylor, Daniels, Shipley, Briggs
1998 4 Taranto, Perryman, Cumming, Sproule
1997 3 Hopper, Flynn, J Buckley
1996 2 HH, TOJ
1995 2 Kelly, Langdon
1994 4 Whitfield, Williams, Corr, Stein
1993 8 Coniglio, Greene, Cameron, Tomlinson, Buntine, Patton, Sheridan, D Buckley
1992 3 Haynes, Kennedy, Lloyd
1990 4 Ward, Davis, MDB, Keefe
1989 2 Simpson, Reid
1987 1 Deledio
1986 1 Mumford
1985 1 Shaw

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
The breakdown of the age demographic of the club with a possible best 22 (23 listed) in bold
2000 6 Caldwell, Hately, O'Halloran, Hill, Idun, Brown
1999 5 Bonar, Taylor, Daniels, Shipley, Briggs
1998 4 Taranto, Perryman, Cumming, Sproule
1997 3 Hopper, Flynn, J Buckley
1996 2 HH, TOJ
1995 2 Kelly, Langdon
1994 4 Whitfield, Williams, Corr, Stein
1993 8 Coniglio, Greene, Cameron, Tomlinson, Buntine, Patton, Sheridan, D Buckley
1992 3 Haynes, Kennedy, Lloyd
1990 4 Ward, Davis, MDB, Keefe
1989 2 Simpson, Reid
1987 1 Deledio
1986 1 Mumford
1985 1 Shaw

This just makes me feel old.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
So the major time trial on Thursday? It seems we've changed to 2k this year.

Tommo pretty easily is my tip.

Interesting to see if Sheridan can challenge him.

De Boer if he runs for himself and not with Cogs this year should go well.

Cogs does seem to be focussing on his running and should go well.

Ward put it out there he needs to do better after after the McConnell cup, so it's delivery time for him.

Shipley I hope does well A strong off-season after some setbacks would be great.

Was Hateley's performance in the McConnell cup just a matter if slipping past the handicapper?

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-26/training-days-whos-lighting-up-the-track-at-your-club

GWS preseason.PNG

Good signs from that quartet named. Just need to get Toby & Haynes back ASAP near the start of the season.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Folks, for a fantastic read I recommend The Mongrel Punt (who do post within BigFooty), and this article is representative of their realistic and balanced footy assessments https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/01/07/ifsbutsgiants.

Some tidbits:

With a couple of best-22 players departing, many have speculated whether the Giants have the resources to cover the shortfall. We have a bit of a look in ours “ifs” and “buts” and see what we can come up with.

IF…

… THE RUMOURS OF THEIR DEMISE HAVE BEEN GREATLY EXAGGERATED, THE GIANTS WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF TEAMS THIS SEASON.

People have such short memories. They see Tom Scully leave to alleviate salary cap pressure, and they panic. They hear Dylan Shiel wanting out, and they start to write off a team that is still a contender, even when losing two quality players like those listed above. I don’t think the Giants will miss Shiel’s atrocious kicking at goal (20.7% in 2018), and as a matter of fact, I don’t think they’ll miss most of what he brought to the table in 2018. Shiel was fifth at the club in disposals (25.9), equal fourth in contested touches (9.3), third in clearances (4.5) and 11th in tackles (3.4) but the Giants bat deep in the midfield, and they have young players ready to step into the void.

Tim Taranto has been screaming out for more midfield opportunity, and the departure of Shiel is just what the doctor ordered. With Josh Kelly, Cal Ward and Stephen Coniglio already entrenched in the Giants’ midfield, and Lachie Whitfield streaming by on the outside, youngsters like Taranto and Jacob Hopper were just waiting for their opportunity to present. Well, opportunity is knocking right now.
(see my previous post!)

The Giants’ list is still stacked with talent. Phil Davis and Nick Haynes are absolute quality in defence, and the knee injury to Heath Shaw in the finals left a sizeable gap to fill in his absence. Pencil those three in as your key backline stars, and already the Giants look set to be a solid defensive unit. When a guy who looks as good as Jeremy Finlayson is struggling to get a run, you know you have plenty of top-tier talent.

Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene and Harry Himmelberg have the talent to tear games open – it’s as though many in the AFL community have simply forgotten about this. Cameron was a Coleman medal threat before his elbow found the chin of Harris Andrews. With Jon Patton working back from another knee reconstruction (poor bloke – he could be such a star), the GWS forward line (health-permitting, as with any other team) is all set for another tilt at finals.

So where does all the negativity come from in the press? Why are people considering GWS a non-factor this season? Pundits have them falling out of the eight as though Dylan Shiel was some kind of superman carrying the team on his shoulders (I’d be thanking Coniglio for some heavy lifting last year, personally :thumbsu:), and Rory Lobb was actually showing up as a key forward/ruck – he wasn’t! He averaged 0.58 goals per game in 2018, which put him way outside the top 100 for goal kicking averages. Lachlan Murphy in Adelaide averaged more. Brennan Cox and Cam McCarthy in Freo averaged more. As a matter of fact, Lobb was 14th on the GWS list alone. In terms of his ruck work, he was ranked 28th in the league in regard to average hit outs per game, so in his dual role, he was doing neither of them particularly well. I think GWS fans can rest easy in regards to his loss.

… PHIL DAVIS IS NOT RECOGNISED AS ONE OF THE BEST LEADERS AND DEFENDERS IN THE GAME, THE AFL MEDIA NEEDS A KICK IN THE ASS.

There was a look about Phil Davis in the days before the Giants gave the Swans a hiding in the 2018 Elimination Final. Interviewed on AFL 360 by Gerard Whateley and his mate, Robbo, he was asked about Lance Franklin and how he’d combat the man who has been the best forward in the game for years.
He didn’t have to say anything – the look in his eyes spoke volumes. You see, Davis is well aware that it really doesn’t matter what you say about Buddy Franklin. It matters what you do when the time comes, and what Davis went out and did against Franklin, was lead his team to a resounding victory with one of the best defensive performances of the year.

I’ve read a few pieces over the journey that suggested GWS lacked leadership, and on face value, I can understand why they wrote what they did. Leaders take time to develop, and it’s difficult to cultivate leadership when the team is still in its infancy. Well, we’re not talking about a team full of kids anymore. This is a team aligned behind the strong leadership of two unsung stars.

Cal Ward is a maniac who’ll throw himself in front of a bus if it means winning the footy first, but Phil Davis, at 28 years old, has developed into the kind of leader others will follow. The way he put his hand up to stifle Franklin, and then went out and did just that, to the extent that Buddy looked completely ineffective, was the perfect case of a captain who leads by example. He is a leader of men. Davis was shunned by All-Australian selectors, but his value to the Giants is growing every year. He recorded career-best numbers in 2018, averaging 15.18 touches (+2.47) and 5.82 marks (+1.32) and is the kind of player I can see not only being an All-Australian defender, but the All-Australian captain (come on, it’s time to re-introduce actual leaders as AA captains again – Rance and Franklin as AA captains in the last two years… no good).

and lots more balanced assessments - it's not sychophantic, there's some reasonable questions put, but much better than the usual mainstream media garbage.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Folks, for a fantastic read I recommend The Mongrel Punt (who do post within BigFooty), and this article is representative of their realistic and balanced footy assessments https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/01/07/ifsbutsgiants.

Some tidbits:

With a couple of best-22 players departing, many have speculated whether the Giants have the resources to cover the shortfall. We have a bit of a look in ours “ifs” and “buts” and see what we can come up with.

IF…

… THE RUMOURS OF THEIR DEMISE HAVE BEEN GREATLY EXAGGERATED, THE GIANTS WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF TEAMS THIS SEASON.

People have such short memories. They see Tom Scully leave to alleviate salary cap pressure, and they panic. They hear Dylan Shiel wanting out, and they start to write off a team that is still a contender, even when losing two quality players like those listed above. I don’t think the Giants will miss Shiel’s atrocious kicking at goal (20.7% in 2018), and as a matter of fact, I don’t think they’ll miss most of what he brought to the table in 2018. Shiel was fifth at the club in disposals (25.9), equal fourth in contested touches (9.3), third in clearances (4.5) and 11th in tackles (3.4) but the Giants bat deep in the midfield, and they have young players ready to step into the void.

Tim Taranto has been screaming out for more midfield opportunity, and the departure of Shiel is just what the doctor ordered. With Josh Kelly, Cal Ward and Stephen Coniglio already entrenched in the Giants’ midfield, and Lachie Whitfield streaming by on the outside, youngsters like Taranto and Jacob Hopper were just waiting for their opportunity to present. Well, opportunity is knocking right now.
(see my previous post!)

The Giants’ list is still stacked with talent. Phil Davis and Nick Haynes are absolute quality in defence, and the knee injury to Heath Shaw in the finals left a sizeable gap to fill in his absence. Pencil those three in as your key backline stars, and already the Giants look set to be a solid defensive unit. When a guy who looks as good as Jeremy Finlayson is struggling to get a run, you know you have plenty of top-tier talent.

Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene and Harry Himmelberg have the talent to tear games open – it’s as though many in the AFL community have simply forgotten about this. Cameron was a Coleman medal threat before his elbow found the chin of Harris Andrews. With Jon Patton working back from another knee reconstruction (poor bloke – he could be such a star), the GWS forward line (health-permitting, as with any other team) is all set for another tilt at finals.

So where does all the negativity come from in the press? Why are people considering GWS a non-factor this season? Pundits have them falling out of the eight as though Dylan Shiel was some kind of superman carrying the team on his shoulders (I’d be thanking Coniglio for some heavy lifting last year, personally :thumbsu:), and Rory Lobb was actually showing up as a key forward/ruck – he wasn’t! He averaged 0.58 goals per game in 2018, which put him way outside the top 100 for goal kicking averages. Lachlan Murphy in Adelaide averaged more. Brennan Cox and Cam McCarthy in Freo averaged more. As a matter of fact, Lobb was 14th on the GWS list alone. In terms of his ruck work, he was ranked 28th in the league in regard to average hit outs per game, so in his dual role, he was doing neither of them particularly well. I think GWS fans can rest easy in regards to his loss.

… PHIL DAVIS IS NOT RECOGNISED AS ONE OF THE BEST LEADERS AND DEFENDERS IN THE GAME, THE AFL MEDIA NEEDS A KICK IN THE ASS.

There was a look about Phil Davis in the days before the Giants gave the Swans a hiding in the 2018 Elimination Final. Interviewed on AFL 360 by Gerard Whateley and his mate, Robbo, he was asked about Lance Franklin and how he’d combat the man who has been the best forward in the game for years.
He didn’t have to say anything – the look in his eyes spoke volumes. You see, Davis is well aware that it really doesn’t matter what you say about Buddy Franklin. It matters what you do when the time comes, and what Davis went out and did against Franklin, was lead his team to a resounding victory with one of the best defensive performances of the year.

I’ve read a few pieces over the journey that suggested GWS lacked leadership, and on face value, I can understand why they wrote what they did. Leaders take time to develop, and it’s difficult to cultivate leadership when the team is still in its infancy. Well, we’re not talking about a team full of kids anymore. This is a team aligned behind the strong leadership of two unsung stars.

Cal Ward is a maniac who’ll throw himself in front of a bus if it means winning the footy first, but Phil Davis, at 28 years old, has developed into the kind of leader others will follow. The way he put his hand up to stifle Franklin, and then went out and did just that, to the extent that Buddy looked completely ineffective, was the perfect case of a captain who leads by example. He is a leader of men. Davis was shunned by All-Australian selectors, but his value to the Giants is growing every year. He recorded career-best numbers in 2018, averaging 15.18 touches (+2.47) and 5.82 marks (+1.32) and is the kind of player I can see not only being an All-Australian defender, but the All-Australian captain (come on, it’s time to re-introduce actual leaders as AA captains again – Rance and Franklin as AA captains in the last two years… no good).

and lots more balanced assessments - it's not sychophantic, there's some reasonable questions put, but much better than the usual mainstream media garbage.
I certainly agree we're underrated for next year, and I think that's a pretty good place to be.

But harsh on Lobb judging him on goals when he spends so little time forward. Kinda fair in output lost but he wasn't really right until finals last year. He was still 14th in the comp for contested Mark's hampered and/or underdone for most if the year.

Likewise a bit with Shiel but the goal shooting stat is a worry. He was in a different role so his stats would naturally change.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys just wondering the role Hopper played in 2018? Was it 100% inside mid or did he spend some time up forward?

I'm not sure if you guys can fit in all of Conigilio, Ward, Kelly, Hopper, Taranto on the ball permanently even after Shiel's departure, obviously some of them would have to rotate to wing/forward.

If that's the case, who do you expect to move out of inside mid to accomodate others? Think Kelly might play alot more as a winger, but out of Taranto and Hopper, would Taranto most likely be the 1st player rotated out of inside mid from the above group given he's more versatile than Hopper?

Back