Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Majak came to my school along with other NMFC players to conduct a clinic for the kids I teach (Drew, Cunners, Jed Anderson, Hansen, & Thomas). He was the most genuine of all the players that turned up. Whilst most players waited for the kids to ask them questions, Maj was walking with them asking them about their life, about the town and what type of farming was done in the area. Get well soon, Maj.

My heart goes out to Majak and anyone else who is feeling so bad that they can’t see a way to improve their situation. I wish Majak all the best and hope that he makes a full recovery, both physically and mentally. :hearts: :hearts:

Been real flat all day, I really feel for Maj and his family right now.

Just want to say it's real heartening to have this communion with each other here, even if we don't know each other in person.

Sometimes kind words can get someone through the day, and it's really good to see this board, this club and even oppo supporters here show some solidarity on what is a bad day for the club and practically one of the worst days of someone's life.

Only the ATO can tax clubs.

Do they mean that psychologists on staff are included in the coaching staff salary cap?
Yeah, not Tax in the form of Taxation, but tax in the form of disadvantage due to having something.

Theres some kind of monetary disadvantage imposed on the club for looking out for the welfare of players by the sounds of things.

Yeah, not Tax in the form of Taxation, but tax in the form of disadvantage due to having something.

Theres some kind of monetary disadvantage imposed on the club for looking out for the welfare of players by the sounds of things.
I doubt that would apply to clinical psychologists. It would apply to sports psychologists though I'm sure.

There's a lot of ill informed bullshit on social media.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

This has really knocked me around today. Not a kangaroo supporter, never meet Majak. I’m a footy fan and a human. I’ve been struggling the last few months. Hearing this has left me numb.
I can’t explain it or even process as to why I’m feeling this way.
Maybe the thought someone who (seemingly from the outside) has it all could get to that point.
It’s just not me. It’s others, can effect anyone. Doesn’t discriminate.
Get well soon Majak.

Keep your chin up mate. Talk to someone.

This might sound strange but as unfortunate an incident this was it might end up being the best thing for Majak. His injuries are thankfully manageable over time, and he now can rally around his support network to finally get the mental treatment he desperately needs.

I'm sure the club will do everything in their power to help Majak and his family too.

I doubt that would apply to clinical psychologists. It would apply to sports psychologists though I'm sure.

There's a lot of ill informed bullshit on social media.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

It was Swatta and Bartel saying that their services are still under the club cap.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got told this at work this morning. The guy who told me said he had been found in the water, thought for sure he was going to say he was dead. So it was a great relief to hear he had survived. Obviously shocked by the news like everyone else. Has always come across as polite and affable. Hope he gets well and is smiling again soon.

Couple of people on twitter suggesting that the AFL taxes clubs that employ psychologists.

If thats true, it has to go. Surely?
Needs to stop as of now if true.

Hope Maj can see how much he is valued and loved by you guys and the AFL community in general after today.

Long time reader of posts on BF, but what happened to Maj has made me join up to comment and post this in the hope it helps someone.
On the 8th of October this year my wife lost her brother to mental health. Worries about finances, a recent bust up with his wife and a business that was struggling took their toll. Unfortunately my brother in-law decided it was too much and now his problems have been passed onto my wife and her family. Apparently 90% of men are successful in their suicide attempts whether it is their first time or successive attempts. That is what suicide does. My father in-law is struggling, my wife is struggling and so are her two other brothers. I wish and hope my wife can talk to Maj and his family to pass on her recent experiences to let them know the best thing to do is talk to each other no matter the issue. The alternative is not the place anyone wants to be.
Get well Maj and please seek the help you need. I know the club will stand by you through thick and thin.

So shocked by the news today, rewatching this has rattled me.
The opening shot of docklands/bolte bridge... goosebumps and stomach dropped.

Final lines about riding the bad times out. I bloody lost it. Tears.

Love ya Maj. Hope to one day meet you, give you a big hug, and say just that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The best advice i can give anyone from my own experience is that if you are feeling down, ask yourself the question "is this something i can cope with by myself without affecting my day to day life?" If your honest answer is no... (and you need to be honest), it's time to talk to someone and get the help you need. It will be one of the most rewarding things you will ever do.

Thoughts and heart go out to Majak and all impacted.

Like many, the news has had me rattled all day. Again like many others, it's brought up a lot of feelings we've experienced personally or been close to.
It truly is hard to reach out for help.

From my experience (can't speak for all), the words and support shown here and online today DO make a difference.

This thread has been a wee glimmer on an otherwise gloomy day.

This world still has beauty, lets try keep that going. Much love to all of you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back