Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a hunch that the trigger was a row with his partner. Seen it far too often.

I hope someone is also monitoring her mental health as she would be feeling pretty terrible right now and feeling like it's her fault (though it is not in any way)

I hope I’m right too. The article doesn’t make him sound like a druggie at all.

All the papers are going with the story now. There was a shocking tweet put out by the Herald Sun with a picture of Maj and the Bolte in the background.

The Hun isn't known for subtlety, class or consideration so i'm not surprised.

We’ve got a 10 week old Bub atm. It’s a ******* hard slog for both parents, thing is there is more and more information for mums, but for dads there isn’t heaps out there.

Combine sleep deprivation, with the fact that your child actually won’t recognise or acknowledge a father until around 10-12 weeks as well as dads that go back to work and the stress load of managing everything and you can see how it creeps up
Five week old over here. There are days when I cry more than the baby does and when my husband gets home he has to calm me down as well as the baby. Maternal and child health nurses do a great job evaluating mums - I was sorted out very quickly with an increase in antidepressants- but dads certainly need someone keeping an eye out for them, even if that’s just relatives or friends asking if they’re OK and helping out wherever possible.

I know he's not everyone's cup of team but it's never enough for me to just talk to people. It has been very helpful to talk to psychologists but I always try to make sense of things. I enjoy listening to this sort of stuff when I'm running:

He mentions how depression doesn't discriminate in the first minute which would relate to Maj's situation. Again, listen if you want, ignore if you don't just please don't turn it into a debate about him. This sort of stuff has been helpful for me so I thought I'd share just in case it's helpful for others too.

The media are a bunch of insensitive pricks
While I wholeheartedly support that thought, taking it one step further, media bloke didn't make up the details in paragraph 4. AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioners Registration Agency) oversees registration of nurses, doctors, etc.. There is an presumption and expectation of doctor/patient confidentiality. Someone in the city broke that rule of their registration to provide those details to the author. Therein lies the real cheat :mad::mad::mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mate, this is a very valid point and i know how you feel.
the Adelaide BF board got many of us through Phil's death in July 2015 - reading everyone's posts and support and sharing of what they were going through was what eventually pulled me up out of two days of personal numbness.

hopefully Maj reads this thread one day and feels the genuine love and sense of community too.
Bloody hell. That was 2015? Where has the time gone. Geez. Slipping away from us

Has anyone even taken that stilnox s**t? I remember it was all over the news years ago about people sleepwalking and having all sorts of issues like hallucinations. Mix that with melatonin and you are in no mans land. All speculation currently but it could have been an accident due to being out of his mind.

Stilnox is Ambien. I have heard a number of first hand, and a shitload more second hand, stories about the negative side effects, including from medical professionals.

Im not well informed on these issues.

Is it possible he's had a negative reaction to the prescription pills (accidental misuse?) and has no issues with depression?
Yes it's possible. But the previous issues that have been reported indicate its likely not a side effect of the medication

I've been thinking about this. Maybe it's a case of "everything that was supposed to make me happy is now happening - good year on field, stable partner, etc, - but I still don't feel happy. What's wrong with me?"

I've been fortunate not to have been impacted by mental illness much. Perhaps someone with closer experience of it can say if that's a thing?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. As a capitalist society, we are programmed to believe that "success" comes in the form of financial prosperity. Do well at school, get a good paying job, buy a house, have a nice car, go on annual holidays etc etc. And when you achieve all of that and still have the empty feeling, it can knock you around.

There are probably more men found hanging in their garage in brighton with a mercedes on one side and a porsche on the other, than people who struggle financially.

One of the biggest eye opening holidays for me was going to Thailand. There were countless people living in poverty who literally had to sell their bodies to put food on the table, but they all had the most infectious smiles.

We need a cultural shift around what it is to be "successful". Perceived success doesnt always translate to happiness. And i guess that's why we are all so shocked with Maj's incident. For the first time in decade long career, he had been dominating. His position was secure in the starting 22. He was getting all the accolades.
And then this happened..

Not sure what the answer is but what i do know is we need to be connected as a society.. and be kinder to each other. That's a starting point.

It's an old cliche but i think its appropriate: "Everyone is fighting a battle, so be nice"

Stilnox is Ambien. I have heard a number of first hand, and a shitload more second hand, stories about the negative side effects, including from medical professionals.
Ambien and horror stories go hand in hand.

Chris Cornell was under the influence of drugs and probably had a material influence in his suicide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back