Prediction Who will finish higher - Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, Brisbane or St Kilda

Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You could literally say that about any of these teams - if they get decimated by injury they'll struggle to make it to 5 games.

Very simplistic way to look at it I reckon.
It’s not simplistic if people write off freo the dogs and to a lesser extent Carlton and gold coast when they had big injury tolls last year
Adelaide had a big injury toll an next year there predicted top 4 by a few yet the others I speak of had loss of key personnel yet people don’t see any improvement?
All I’m saying is contrary to the general punters opinion the scope for improvement is a lot bigger in the other s**t kickers compared to Brisbane.

Last edited:
Bulldogs or Brisbane for me. Bulldogs have the oldest most experienced list out of these teams and that usually helps when trying to build for finals. Brisbane just seem like they're ready to put it all together.

I can't see us shooting up the ladder. We may win a couple more games but our percentage has always been poor under Lyon so I doubt we'll move much higher. I don't think or midfield is anywhere near good enough to be challenging the 8 and under the current regime I'd be surprised if injuries aren't still a problem.

Saints are an interesting one. They really should have won more games this season but horrendous goalkicking cost them games. I think they're better than their position showed in 2018 but lost a winning mentality which can be difficult to reverse.

St Kilda getting no love. I keep saying it but getting laughed at, seriously think they will surprise many in 2019 and play finals.

I underestimated how much we relied on the class of Riewoldt in our better years in 2016 and 2017 and assumed that others would fill that void when he retired. Albeit Bruce missed most of last year and McCartin is McCartin.

I'd be surprised if we we improve dramatically on last year. We looked rudderless on the field and in the coaches box for too much of last year. Hard to see that changing.

I underestimated how much we relied on the class of Riewoldt in our better years in 2016 and 2017 and assumed that others would fill that void when he retired. Albeit Bruce missed most of last year and McCartin is McCartin.

I'd be surprised if we we improve dramatically on last year. We looked rudderless on the field and in the coaches box for too much of last year. Hard to see that changing.

Happens to every side. Replacing an all time great is problematic at the best of times. Doubly so if it's a tall.

The comments in the last two posts would be a massive part of the reason we got Hannebery in.

Roo and Montagna's output/performances in their final year were well down on that of even the year before (and very much so in Nick's case), so obviously where we felt their absence had much more to do with their leadership and experience no longer being there (plus it didn't help that we also missed Bruce and Roberton for much of the year, with them playing similar roles to Nick and Joey, and both also being in the leadership group last year. So it was double-whammies in both positions).

So we had to get in someone like Hanners (who was VC at Sydney and said to set a real standard on the track), to help replace a chunk of that.

Getting Billy Slater in to also work with the group in improving culture/leadership etc was an excellent move as well IMO, and will hopefully pay divedends.

The comments in the last two posts would be a massive part of the reason we got Hannebery in.

Roo and Montagna's output/performances in their final year were well down on that of even the year before (and very much so in Nick's case), so obviously where we felt their absence had much more to do with their leadership and experience no longer being there (plus it didn't help that we also missed Bruce and Roberton for much of the year, with them playing similar roles to Nick and Joey, and both also being in the leadership group last year. So it was double-whammies in both positions).

So we had to get in someone like Hanners (who was VC at Sydney and said to set a real standard on the track), to help replace a chunk of that.

Getting Billy Slater in to also work with the group in improving culture/leadership etc was an excellent move as well IMO, and will hopefully pay divedends.

I am not confident that these two additions will do much. Will gladly stand corrected. Though I am glad the club made the moves as it's addressing a clear need.

I am not confident that these two additions will do much. Will gladly stand corrected. Though I am glad the club made the moves as it's addressing a clear need.
I know where you're coming from, but you might be surprised that Paul Roos and many at the club credit Daniel Cross as being one of the most influential trades Melbourne made in 20 years. He only played 2 years (39 games), but even though he was 30 on arrival he was the hardest trainer at the club and set standards for younger players to follow. Even though he's retired he's now employed full-time at the club in a sports science/fitness role.

I'm not suggesting the Saints were nearly as bereft of talent or leadership as the Dees were, but I do think these types of leaders are invaluable at setting standards off the ground as much as on it.

Cross' match day kilometres were higher than any Melbourne player in his first year and the younger ones quickly knew they weren't working nearly hard enough. He was 30, so it was pretty embarrassing, but an invaluable lesson and helped with the changes the club was trying to make..

I know where you're coming from, but you might be surprised that Paul Roos and many at the club credit Daniel Cross as being one of the most influential trades Melbourne made in 20 years. He only played 2 years (39 games), but even though he was 30 on arrival he was the hardest trainer at the club and set standards for younger players to follow. Even though he's retired he's now employed full-time at the club in a sports science/fitness role.

I'm not suggesting the Saints were nearly as bereft of talent or leadership as the Dees were, but I do think these types of leaders are invaluable at setting standards off the ground as much as on it.

Cross' match day kilometres were higher than any Melbourne player in his first year and the younger ones quickly knew they weren't working nearly hard enough. He was 30, so it was pretty embarrassing, but an invaluable lesson and helped with the changes the club was trying to make..

I wanted to tie a few of our underperforming players to either Boyd or Cross, as they set such a standard for others to learn from.

I’m not sure Hanners has the same reputation however, his rumoured off field interests suggest otherwise.....

I wanted to tie a few of our underperforming players to either Boyd or Cross, as they set such a standard for others to learn from.

I’m not sure Hanners has the same reputation however, his rumoured off field interests suggest otherwise.....
The off-field rumours are true.

I'm an Old Xav and my Nephew is one of his best mates.

That said, he's from the old North school of the 90's. When he trains and plays it's what you want.

The off-field rumours are true.

I'm an Old Xav and my Nephew is one of his best mates.

That said, he's from the old North school of the 90's. When he trains and plays it's what you want.

Interesting choice by the Saints then with their history and list profile...

It’s not simplistic if people write off freo the dogs and to a lesser extent Carlton and gold coast when they had big injury tolls last year
Adelaide had a big injury toll an next year there predicted top 4 by a few yet the others I speak of had loss of key personnel yet people don’t see any improvement?
All I’m saying is contrary to the general punters opinion the scope for improvement is a lot bigger in the other s**t kickers compared to Brisbane.

We did cop a few injuries. Cameron out early when he looked like he was heading toward an AA spot. Also lost Harris Andrews for a month or so.

Same thing happened to the Lions. Brown retired and we dropped like a stone to the bottom. In hindsight a good thing as it gave us access to top end draft picks

Aside from 6 St Kilda supporters and one bloke taking the piss no one rates you a chance to finish higher than the other three clubs. In another thread about which coach is first to be sacked Richardson is the overwhelming leader. If there was another thread about whose list is in the worst shape it'd be St Kilda tied with Gold Coast.

Your mob isnt poised for a climb up the ladder. Make your peace with this.
Haha no one rated West Coast on here last year either! Yes, agreed, We were a rabble under Our coaching staff last year (and we have made many off field and on field appointments to rectify this) but, did we not beat you by 10 goals?? Was the only stress free game for the season actually. Even with a banged up underperforming list we made your ‘talent packed’ list look like VFL standard (besides Cripps who is a machine). So I’m not sure what kind of pre season your mob are having or how highly you rate McGovern but I doubt your team will improve enough to beat us let alone the other 15 teams better than your beloved blues.

Make your peace with this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs or Brisbane for me. Bulldogs have the oldest most experienced list out of these teams and that usually helps when trying to build for finals. Brisbane just seem like they're ready to put it all together.

I can't see us shooting up the ladder. We may win a couple more games but our percentage has always been poor under Lyon so I doubt we'll move much higher. I don't think or midfield is anywhere near good enough to be challenging the 8 and under the current regime I'd be surprised if injuries aren't still a problem.

Saints are an interesting one. They really should have won more games this season but horrendous goalkicking cost them games. I think they're better than their position showed in 2018 but lost a winning mentality which can be difficult to reverse.

Thanks for the support but in fact we have the youngest team of those listed (this was before trade and draft period but we didn’t get much older)

We did cop a few injuries. Cameron out early when he looked like he was heading toward an AA spot. Also lost Harris Andrews for a month
Having 18 players play 18 or more games is a pretty good run the lions had.
we had 11 last year and two of them were first year players the last time we had 18 play 18 was 2015

Libba has some off field competition now

Every club has them, hell, Stringer spent a whole year with his phone in his pants - but he wasn’t brought in for leadership to a rebuilding side.

Hopefully you have done your due diligence.....

Thanks for the support but in fact we have the youngest team of those listed (this was before trade and draft period but we didn’t get much older)

We had the youngest side on the field last year, not sure how we stack up on overall list age....

I'm just going off this which was completed after final list lodgement but not sure if you took another rookie.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/oldest-youngest-most-experienced-club-lists-compared

Equal oldest list (with saints) and most experienced of the teams mentioned. I don't think this is a bad thing.

I'm just going off this which was completed after final list lodgement but not sure if you took another rookie.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/oldest-youngest-most-experienced-club-lists-compared

Equal oldest list (with saints) and most experienced of the teams mentioned. I don't think this is a bad thing.

That’s ok. We had a few injuries last year, so we were fielding a very young side week to week. I think 18 of the 22 youngest sides were ours, or we had the youngest side in 18 of the 22 weeks - I can’t remember the exact stat. No one since the GWS/GCS days has had a younger team. And they were not winning 8 games and losing 3 others on the last kick....

But that was without Dickson, Picken, Morris, Libba etc for chunks of the year. Get those guys back and hopefully we improve.

That’s ok. We had a few injuries last year, so we were fielding a very young side week to week. I think 18 of the 22 youngest sides were ours, or we had the youngest side in 18 of the 22 weeks - I can’t remember the exact stat. No one since the GWS/GCS days has had a younger team. And they were not winning 8 games and losing 3 others on the last kick....

But that was without Dickson, Picken, Morris, Libba etc for chunks of the year. Get those guys back and hopefully we improve.

I'm talking list and your talking team but whatever. You got good seasons into Naughton, Cordy, Schade and English gets another pre-season under his belt. Get the guys you mentioned back. I think you'll do well

bullies or saints... gotta give me something and I will give you a lesson in winning..

you have to believe ... you have to stick to the system... you have to turn up when you don't want to..

got a lot of other ideas.. you gotta stick with me... it is the coach speaking.. handle with care.. handle with aplomb..

choose your way and choose to get on your horse and ride...

there is the first instalment... :)

I'm talking list and your talking team but whatever. You got good seasons into Naughton, Cordy, Schade and English gets another pre-season under his belt. Get the guys you mentioned back. I think you'll do well

Not trying to have a go, just trying to explain the disconnect - as you rightly state some people are talking list, others the 22 each week.

If we get people back from injuries and then can reproduce old form, we should improve. We don’t necessarily have a good track record of identifying when someone is gone/done - so there is some risk with the older guys....

Freo. They finally have their first decent forward line since Pav retired.

Absoloutely they are but midfields carry teams. Is collingwoods forward line better than Freos? Arguably not

But their midfield still destroys yours and most.
I mean s**t predictions are fruitless, some of your young mids could become superstars next year and carry you to the middle bracket but I think Brisbanes midfield and the dogs both have more runs on the board.

The side that was 12th in clearances, 16th in disposals, 15th in tackles etc won the flag this year. We've proved you don't need a midfield to carry you if you can kick and mark effectively when you do have the ball.

Haha no one rated West Coast on here last year either! Yes, agreed, We were a rabble under Our coaching staff last year (and we have made many off field and on field appointments to rectify this) but, did we not beat you by 10 goals?? Was the only stress free game for the season actually. Even with a banged up underperforming list we made your ‘talent packed’ list look like VFL standard (besides Cripps who is a machine). So I’m not sure what kind of pre season your mob are having or how highly you rate McGovern but I doubt your team will improve enough to beat us let alone the other 15 teams better than your beloved blues.

Make your peace with this.

Its quite telling when the only rebuttal Saints fans can come up with is measuring themselves against Carlton. My mob isnt in the poll so coming back with "yeah but we flogged youse" isnt a compelling reason for why St Kilda will finish higher than Freo, Brissy, or the Doggies. Why is this such a hard concept for Saints fans to grasp?

Back