Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if I mentioned this-

Two absolute moments of joy today:

1. Walsh blind turned on wing, ran past multiple blokes to deliver into forward line. Just amazing.

2. Ball in the middle and goes forward. SPS sprinted from the middle to help his defenders. A huge effort. Steele Sidebottom stuff. Got the ball, got his team out of trouble. Extra numbers at the footy which we never seemed to have last year.

After watching Sam Walsh train & then do the blind turn out of traffic i saw the pencil arriving to pencil him in for round 1...

WACENpencil_steve2.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned this-

Two absolute moments of joy today:

1. Walsh blind turned on wing, ran past multiple blokes to deliver into forward line. Just amazing.

2. Ball in the middle and goes forward. SPS sprinted from the middle to help his defenders. A huge effort. Steele Sidebottom stuff. Got the ball, got his team out of trouble. Extra numbers at the footy which we never seemed to have last year.
I'm on him for Rising Star, those who think the No 1 pick is never the best player in his draft can back someone else.I'm pretty confident i've got the winner.

Practice game is fairly sharp. Walsh all class. Kennedy looks great, Bugg lively up forward, Garlett throwing himself in in defence. Weitering looks good. Willo doing laps
Think Kennedy getting a good preseason for the first time has shown how important they really are. If he trains thru summer to round 1 i think we’ll see what a difference 2 big bulls rotating in the middle can do for our midfield.

Wilso looks the goods.

Took my daughters and got there right on time to see Pickett do his patella tendon. Awful. I did mine five years ago...the pain was unimaginable. Good luck to him. It’s a s**t injury. 6 months.

My obs on training. Match simulation at 3/4 pace.

Skills average. A bit sloppy. Some good passages but not too much to get excited about. Bearing in mind it’s december. All players looked leaner and lighter.

Players that stood out:

Walsh. Believe the hype; he’s the real deal. Smart, quick, skilful, determined...need I go on?!
SPS. Looks really fit and decidedly faster.
Kennedy- see above
Harry. Looked sharp. Took a lot of marks.
Wieters looks fit and confident
McGovern is a very aggressive forward when attacking the ball in the air.
Jones. Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde.
** BenSOS. deceptively quick.

Didn’t train: Kreuzer, Charlie, Levi, setters a few others I can’t remember.

Restricted:
Plowman and Macreadie. Ran laps, 200 metre 3/4 pace sprints. Kick to kick. Both obviously on modified programs.

Extra running before, during, after training: Osiers, Polson, Schu, bugg, Williamson, lebois, Stocker.

Extra resistance running training after (dragging teammate with a band):
Jones, Phillips, dekoning, Goddard, Phillips, benSOS, Fasolo, Daisy.

Note. I asked all players re preseason compared to last few. All said hardest by far. But everyone looked rapt and said they were feeling the benefits. The words fitness guru came out quite a few times re Andrew Russell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or are they realizing they are playing for their careers at a new club ?
Dunno.

Reports were we were not fit enough. These guys come in and hit it hard, Id assume there's plenty of blokes who'd like to show something on our own list given we've shot about 40 of their mates in 3 years.

Mc Govern looks a class above in the air.
Dow looks like he’s ready to explode.
SPS looks better than at any time I’ve seen him at this time of year....gun
Watched Finbar in his kick to kick and he’s got a nice natural action.
Polson doesn’t inspire at all.
  1. Awesome... can't wait to see him in action
  2. As above.
  3. Maybe part of why we took him? Obviously the club saw a few things in him they liked to pick him as a project player
  4. Disappointing, hopefully it's an 'off day' for Cam...

Some notes:

- Bugg murdered CamPo and Schumaker in repeat 2 min runs at the end of training. Neither of the latter 2 look AFL fit to me
- Cuningham looked pretty good. Continues to show that exciting first two steps. Kicking was good.
- De Koning looks 2 years away to me. At least. Doesn’t have the strength yet. Phillips a long way in front of him for back up ruck.
- Dow was a little disappointing. Decision making in traffic not great. Doesn’t look AFL fit yet to me.
- Faz will play round one and most of the year. Looked the goods to me.
- Garlett was impressive. Worked hard and looked fit. Was sticking his tackles (which he didn’t do last year)
- Kerr was trialled in the backline. Not a bad idea. Looked ok there.
- Kennedy is fitter and moved a lot better than last year.
- McGovern didn’t look fit yet. Still took a screamer and showed a bit.
- McKay was extremely impressive. Looked too big and athletic as a forward and more than competent as a back up ruck
- Newman will play every game. Solid and reliable. Nice kick.
- SPs looks a lot fitter and even a tad quicker. Worked really hard. Expect a lift in output.
- Jack S did better in the runs than he has in past years. Looks a lot fitter. Not sure what role they see for him.
- stocker didn’t train much and was doing slow laps. Hard to see him playing early.
- Setters: see Stocker
- Walsh: amazing runner. Beat Ed in a few 150s. His running in the practice games was also impressive. Movement and reading of the play great. Kicking as per Gardiner stand average a couple of times and ok others. GUN
- Weiters was ok. Moved ok. Nothing stood out
- Willo is bigger than I recall. Ran well as always. Did some work on his own.

Marchy LOB Kreuzer Setters Plowman Macreadie Owies Finbar Lang Casboult Charlie Curnow all didn’t train (bar Plowman and Macreadie doing a bit of running). Stocker didn’t train much. Pickett did a knee.

#TrackTalk
Thanks, great post.

Kennedy & SPS genuinely fit will be a huge positive for our midfield.

Garlett over his injuries, fitness up and ready to come to the party? Sounds like he could be featuring predominantly down back, could be good to give us some run out of D50 and maybe he takes the opp small?

Also good to hear Newman mentioned, think he'll be a great value pickup for us.

Starting forward line may be Charlie, Harry, Mitch, Fasolo & Bugg (plus resting mid)?

Reckon the Walsh thread may have exploded come Friday March 22nd...

Thanks, great post.

Kennedy & SPS genuinely fit will be a huge positive for our midfield.

Garlett over his injuries, fitness up and ready to come to the party? Sounds like he could be featuring predominantly down back, could be good to give us some run out of D50 and maybe he takes the opp small?

Also good to hear Newman mentioned, think he'll be a great value pickup for us.

Starting forward line may be Charlie, Harry, Mitch, Fasolo & Bugg (plus resting mid)?

Reckon the Walsh thread may have exploded come Friday March 22nd...

That's my thinking - at least to start the year. Fasolo can play up the wing, Bugg can pinch hit as an outside mid, so we can easily rotate guys like Cripps, Kennedy, Fisher, Murphy, SPS, Curnow etc. through the forward line. Suspect the preferred 6/6/6 set-up will be the 5 forwards you listed plus one smaller midfielder - any quick clearances are going into a very dangerous zone :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back