Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Population decline/ageing is the biggest thing. I live in Swan Hill and I think the game is just as popular as ever and it wouldn’t surprise me if we lose 4-5 clubs to either mergers or folding in the next 2-3 years. Junior’s have also dropped an age group out recently. There just isn’t the people around anymore...
I also have a rural background (though now living in Melbourne). I've long thought it foolish that rural leagues struggling with declining populations still insist on a full 18 on-field + 4 interchange, when they could reduce numbers to say 14 or 15 on-field + 2 interchange, thus making it quite a bit easier to find the numbers for survival.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Session 1 Combined: 1.146 million (-34K)
Session 2 Combined: 1.206 million (+46K)
Quite interesting that S1 rated higher last season but S2 didn't.

Just 15,011 last night for the Renegades-Scorchers game.

Hopefully they’ll get better crowds once the holidays start, although there is a serious lack of star power with the Renegades. They’re my team but even I find it hard to get excited by them.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

Hopefully they’ll get better crowds once the holidays start, although there is a serious lack of star power with the Renegades. They’re my team but even I find it hard to get excited by them.
Need Chris Gale.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
S1: 1.28 Million (-72K)
S2: 2.09 Million (-31K)
Corresponding game last year was Brisbane Heat v Melbourne Stars.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong

It looked a bit light on but Marvel Stadium also needs at least 30,000 to look good.
Fox would be happy with the ratings.
The trouble with the BBL is they dont pay the big bucks like the IPL so many of the best players in the world dont come.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
I see all these NRL fans talking about moving Cronulla sharks to Perth, can people in WA or more in the know than I actually see it working, do people in WA want an NRL side. Personally, I don't think these NRL fans know really understand the cost of relocating them and whether the support is actually there.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I see all these NRL fans talking about moving Cronulla sharks to Perth, can people in WA or more in the know than I actually see it working, do people in WA want an NRL side. Personally, I don't think these NRL fans know really understand the cost of relocating them and whether the support is actually there.
WA is the 3rd biggest state for Rugby League.
If that means anything or not.

Supposedly its between Perth and Brissie 2.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's incredible that a RL city the size of Brisbane, remains with the sole NRL side.
They do talk themselves up because of crowds. But they only have 3 teams in the entire state.

There should be less NSW teams and a Bris 2, Central Queensland, a western Corridor side as well

That would really show if qlders are leagues heartland.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
This link, re the 5 NRL players arrested & charged with assaulting women recently, explores in detail the complexites of how the NRL administration should react to these shocking allegations.

It states big sponsors eg airlines, banks, supermarkets etc. are refusing to sponsor the NRL/Clubs (but Telstra has).
The AFL, with Lists c. 50%+ greater than the NRL, has also had players found guilty of assaulting women, & other scandals- but not as regularly as the NRL does; & the AFL is regularly sponsored by these major companies.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...-players-from-themselves-20181214-p50md1.html

The Australian reported on 17.12 the comments of NRL Chairman P. Beattie.

" The alleged assaults were 'killing the game's reputation. That will affect the game's ability to attract corporate sponsorships and women to the game', Mr Beattie said. 'Reduced revenue to the game long-term will mean less money for grassroots, clubs, and players'. He said it was too early to tell if the latest slew of arrests was having an impact on community support, but admitted it would likely be 'damaging' if a tougher stance was not taken soon".

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s/news-story/d16f33f9f37e22d61f6995855bf3575a

Three of the five players charged are" NRL stars", & court action is likely in the 2019 season.
How will this impact the:-
. NRL fans/ratings etc.?
.Community perception of the NRL?
.GR RL, where male GR RL nos. are in long term decline?
. growth in RL female regd. nos.?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Can't say i've heard anyone talking about it, and it's unlikely that there's a ready made supporter base for them. What's important for the NRL is that they're in it for the long haul and don't expect immediate success. If they plan it as a 20-25 year project then they might get some inroads.

WA is the 3rd biggest state for Rugby League.
If that means anything or not.

It shows how small the other states are. As a comparison, there are more Australian football players in Newcastle than there are Rugby League players in Perth, despite Perth having 4 times the population.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Don't know what league fans are like, but I would think it would need to be a new team for Perth. I don't think a transplant would get traction.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Can't say i've heard anyone talking about it, and it's unlikely that there's a ready made supporter base for them. What's important for the NRL is that they're in it for the long haul and don't expect immediate success. If they plan it as a 20-25 year project then they might get some inroads.

It shows how small the other states are. As a comparison, there are more Australian football players in Newcastle than there are Rugby League players in Perth, despite Perth having 4 times the population.
AFL has always had more if a national presence than the NRL. The expansion into WA and the SA superleague team were always grass castles fated to blow down in the first breeze.

The Storm are really the result of deep pockets by Murdoch and grim determination to have a presence in the big Melbourne sporting market.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I think it's pretty safe to say the Big Bash bubble has bursted a little.
What does everyone else think?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think it's pretty safe to say the Big Bash bubble has bursted a little.
What does everyone else think?
Really surprised to see Manuka half empty for the Thunder game. We share Spotless and they've been filling it like we do in our dreams.

Will be interesting to see if they fill it this year.

Back