2019 Co-Captains: Kennedy, Parker and Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

Great captains win games off their own boot. Elocution doesn't help when we are three goals down with ten minutes go. Buddy should be captain because his brilliance does all the talking.

Not necessarily. Great captains generally just inspire their team-mates and know how to get the best out of them. So it's a lot more than just actions speaking louder than words. Was Tom Harley or Cameron Ling ever the best players in the Geelong teams they captained to flags? Doubt it..

Just spit-balling but is it possible the decision to increase the leadership is more about the rest of the playing group than about the three players in question? We know we have a young list now, and a lot of the focus (not all of it) will be on the development of these youngsters. Perhaps we're less interested in the optics of having three captains compared to the rest of the competition, less interested in trying to make JPK the greatest captain he can be, and more interested in trying to increase the leadership for these young fellas?

We have about 30/31 players out of 40 on our list who could be defined as young or inexperienced or both. That's massively lop-sided and I think with such a lop-sided list, the more examples of quality leaders they have around them, the better off they'll be.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Not necessarily. Great captains generally just inspire their team-mates and know how to get the best out of them. So it's a lot more than just actions speaking louder than words. Was Tom Harley or Cameron Ling ever the best players in the Geelong teams they captained to flags? Doubt it..
I thought that was the coaches job? You are suggesting that great captains inspire their teams in the dressing sheds? I would suggest that Harley and Ling's captaincy had almost nothing to do with Geelong's premierships. Harley captained them from a back pocket so not much chance of inspiration from there and Ling is probably the most overrated (including by himself) footballer of the last 25 years. If his football commentary is anything to go by its doubtful he rendered any Churchillian oratory to the troops either. An outstanding list, a little bloke called Ablett and a big mouth called Kennett might be closer to the mark to explain their inspiration.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought that was the coaches job? You are suggesting that great captains inspire their teams in the dressing sheds? I would suggest that Harley and Ling's captaincy had almost nothing to do with Geelong's premierships. Harley captained them from a back pocket so not much chance of inspiration from there and Ling is probably the most overrated (including by himself) footballer of the last 25 years. If his football commentary is anything to go by its doubtful he rendered any Churchillian oratory to the troops either. An outstanding list, a little bloke called Ablett and a big mouth called Kennett might be closer to the mark to explain their inspiration.

The captain's role is far more than providing inspirational play on the field during the match. It is about setting the standards and culture at the club that shapes all the work that goes in to making what happens on the weekend possible. It is about maintaining motivation through a long pre-season training campaign. It is about pushing the other players to go beyond their limits when there isn't a premiership directly on the line in January or February. It is about educating them about how we want to carry ourselves on and off the field, in training and on game day and in the community and media. It is about knowing how to relieve the tension that is built up in such an intense environment. It is about being there as a mentor and counselor for the other players, with diverse backgrounds, personalities and needs. It is about bringing that diverse group in to a cohesive single unit. It is about being able being an intermediary between the playing group and the coaching staff.

Being able to do something inspirational during the game doesn't really come in to it so much in the greater scheme of things - most of the hard work happens before that point. That being said, there is every chance for a player in defence to inspire their team mates with their actions, be it a desperate tackle or smother or a kamikaze clearence. Still, it is a role that requires intelligence, empathy and good character as much if not more than it requires football skills.

Clearly plenty of important people rate Tom Harley's leadership skills. He wouldn't have been made the head of the football department if they didn't. He certainly wouldn't have been quickly promoted to CEO of our club if they didn't. I'd say the people making those decisions have significantly more first-hand experience of Harley's work than the peanut gallery on here. They also have a much better gauge on what this playing group needs and who within the group is best equipped to provide that. We have had success with multiple captains before, if the club thinks that is what is going to serve us best this coming season then I will back them in.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The captain's role is far more than providing inspirational play on the field during the match. It is about setting the standards and culture at the club that shapes all the work that goes in to making what happens on the weekend possible. It is about maintaining motivation through a long pre-season training campaign. It is about pushing the other players to go beyond their limits when there isn't a premiership directly on the line in January or February. It is about educating them about how we want to carry ourselves on and off the field, in training and on game day and in the community and media. It is about knowing how to relieve the tension that is built up in such an intense environment. It is about being there as a mentor and counselor for the other players, with diverse backgrounds, personalities and needs. It is about bringing that diverse group in to a cohesive single unit. It is about being able being an intermediary between the playing group and the coaching staff.

Being able to do something inspirational during the game doesn't really come in to it so much in the greater scheme of things - most of the hard work happens before that point. That being said, there is every chance for a player in defence to inspire their team mates with their actions, be it a desperate tackle or smother or a kamikaze clearence. Still, it is a role that requires intelligence, empathy and good character as much if not more than it requires football skills.

Clearly plenty of important people rate Tom Harley's leadership skills. He wouldn't have been made the head of the football department if they didn't. He certainly wouldn't have been quickly promoted to CEO of our club if they didn't. I'd say the people making those decisions have significantly more first-hand experience of Harley's work than the peanut gallery on here. They also have a much better gauge on what this playing group needs and who within the group is best equipped to provide that. We have had success with multiple captains before, if the club thinks that is what is going to serve us best this coming season then I will back them in.
There are two logical fallacies in your argument. The first is a circular argument. You have simply repeated the current justification for three captains without a shred of evidence. Football clubs have complete departments to educate, PR and liase with the media. Captains today are merely front men for the media. Are you seriously suggesting a current captain isn't given a script by the PR department. Are you also seriously suggesting that a current captain can or could dissent or give an alternative analysis to the coach and club management? Rampe "I wish to apologise to the supporters for the boring piece of crap that we served up today. But i want to use the Nuremburg Defence - we were just following orders". Really? I actually know the management speak about this issue. Your first two paragraphs read like a monologue from "The Office". I prefer evidence based strategies and shock horror, a bit of evidence in a decent conversation. What do you mean that the hard work happens before "doing something inspirational". We do inspirational things in games training now do we. Your second point about Harley is an argument from authority. Which is worthless. But you gave the whole game away when you said the captains are there to liase between a coach and the players. So Barassi, Kennedy, Smith, Blight - the really great coaches needed a liason officer in the dressing room did they? Don Scott Kennedy's premiership coach said that the great man spoke to him twice in his whole career. By the way the grandfather of the captain that Harley and Longmire just made a mug of by bringing in two more blokes to do his job. Ever seen that work in an organisation? But you actually in all the fog of management speak stumbled on the real reason for this nonsense. Longmire apparently needs a liaison between the players and himself and Kennedy cant or wont do it. Enough said. In the old days we called it losing the dressing shed.

Okay, then I'm confused. Do you think the captain is important, or not important? I personally think captains should basically be the on-field coaches. In the thick of a match, when the coach can't rally his troops, it's up to the captain to direct traffic and keep his team-mates on alert. Luke Hodge may be a better example then. There were very few occasions throughout Hawthorn's three-peat where Hodge was their best player. It was usually always Mitchell, or Lewis, or Burgoyne, or Roughead, or Buddy, or Sewell. Hodge could often have just decent games as the general on the half back/back of the centre square, but they were never starring efforts as often as some of his other team-mate, like Rioli who could win games off his own boot similarly to Buddy. And yet Hodge was a great captain, because he got through to his team-mates more often than any other captain in the league could. And yes they had an elite list, but he still helped capitalise on their talent and potential.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
He should be. AA captain and not even co-captain of a club side that he inspires on the ground on a weekly basis.. This reeks of obtuse managerialism.

AA captaincy was mere symbolism for his record equaling 7th selection in the team. I am not sure that it can be used as evidence that the club, with far more information than anyone here (as well as those selecting the team), including the ability to hear Buddy’s thoughts on the matter, are somehow denying his leadership aspirations.

Believe he should be captain with limited information if you like (I can see the perspective that it comes from), but I can’t see how his selection as AA captain holds any relevance to his actual credentials as a leader (including if he wants it!).

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
There are two logical fallacies in your argument. The first is a circular argument. You have simply repeated the current justification for three captains without a shred of evidence. Football clubs have complete departments to educate, PR and liase with the media. Captains today are merely front men for the media. Are you seriously suggesting a current captain isn't given a script by the PR department. Are you also seriously suggesting that a current captain can or could dissent or give an alternative analysis to the coach and club management? Rampe "I wish to apologise to the supporters for the boring piece of crap that we served up today. But i want to use the Nuremburg Defence - we were just following orders". Really? I actually know the management speak about this issue. Your first two paragraphs read like a monologue from "The Office". I prefer evidence based strategies and shock horror, a bit of evidence in a decent conversation. What do you mean that the hard work happens before "doing something inspirational". We do inspirational things in games training now do we. Your second point about Harley is an argument from authority. Which is worthless. But you gave the whole game away when you said the captains are there to liase between a coach and the players. So Barassi, Kennedy, Smith, Blight - the really great coaches needed a liason officer in the dressing room did they? Don Scott Kennedy's premiership coach said that the great man spoke to him twice in his whole career. By the way the grandfather of the captain that Harley and Longmire just made a mug of by bringing in two more blokes to do his job. Ever seen that work in an organisation? But you actually in all the fog of management speak stumbled on the real reason for this nonsense. Longmire apparently needs a liaison between the players and himself and Kennedy cant or wont do it. Enough said. In the old days we called it losing the dressing shed.

Ok, let's play this game.

The problem with your post is that it simply demonstrates your confirmation bias, you can only see evidence that confirms your initial hypothesis which appears to be that this club can't do anything right.

And that seems to be a common problem on the board these days. I really don't understand why, beyond the fact that we have not been able to convert this golden era of our club in to a couple more premierships than we have. For the last two decades we have basically managed to resist every effort this league makes to ensure a team can not be consistently successful year in, year out. We have shown ourselves to be one of, if not the most, competently run clubs on and off the field. The level of animosity and distrust towards people who have played a key role in that success makes no sense, and yet we see it constantly on here.

I don't think there is much point trying to engage with someone who says they prefer "evidence based strategies" but then disregards evidence in favour of their gut feel. I'll point out here that an "argument from authority" is one that is made out of deference to an authority figure, regardless of the content of that opinion. I do not make such an argument, because my respect for the opinion of the leaders of our club is based on:

1. Their track record over the past couple of decades (that is, the evidence that they make good decisions).
2. The fact that in this matter they have much greater access to evidence than you (they have seen Harley working day to day, you simply see his media performances and you don't like them because of matters of personal taste).

To favour the informed opinion of people with a track record of strong performance in the selection of quality staff and who have direct experience working with someone over the uninformed rambling from a clearly biased web forum poster is not an example of a cognitive bias. It is a thoroughly reasonable position to take. What is worthless is engaging with you on this or any other matter any further.

And in the end I have to wonder why you are so upset by this decision if, as you say, the role of the captain has been made totally redundant by an expanded football department? It just further goes to show that this issue is just a vehicle for you to pursue your pre-existing agenda to oppose the people running this club. I'm posting less these days on here as a result. I'm inclined to just stop posting altogether, it is thoroughly boring that every single thread on here follows this same path.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Ling's game on Swan in his last GF appearance was a gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Ok, let's play this game.

The problem with your post is that it simply demonstrates your confirmation bias, you can only see evidence that confirms your initial hypothesis which appears to be that this club can't do anything right.

And that seems to be a common problem on the board these days. I really don't understand why, beyond the fact that we have not been able to convert this golden era of our club in to a couple more premierships than we have. For the last two decades we have basically managed to resist every effort this league makes to ensure a team can not be consistently successful year in, year out. We have shown ourselves to be one of, if not the most, competently run clubs on and off the field. The level of animosity and distrust towards people who have played a key role in that success makes no sense, and yet we see it constantly on here.

I don't think there is much point trying to engage with someone who says they prefer "evidence based strategies" but then disregards evidence in favour of their gut feel. I'll point out here that an "argument from authority" is one that is made out of deference to an authority figure, regardless of the content of that opinion. I do not make such an argument, because my respect for the opinion of the leaders of our club is based on:

1. Their track record over the past couple of decades (that is, the evidence that they make good decisions).
2. The fact that in this matter they have much greater access to evidence than you (they have seen Harley working day to day, you simply see his media performances and you don't like them because of matters of personal taste).

To favour the informed opinion of people with a track record of strong performance in the selection of quality staff and who have direct experience working with someone over the uninformed rambling from a clearly biased web forum poster is not an example of a cognitive bias. It is a thoroughly reasonable position to take. What is worthless is engaging with you on this or any other matter any further.

And in the end I have to wonder why you are so upset by this decision if, as you say, the role of the captain has been made totally redundant by an expanded football department? It just further goes to show that this issue is just a vehicle for you to pursue your pre-existing agenda to oppose the people running this club. I'm posting less these days on here as a result. I'm inclined to just stop posting altogether, it is thoroughly boring that every single thread on here follows this same path.
May I return serve?
1. I stated that there was absolutely no evidence in terms of improved performance, winning premierships or "golden eras" with the model of co-captains, utilising articulate PR "leaders". In fact, the evidence goes the other way. I raised the greatest coaches of the modern era none of whom on any evidence needed a dressing shed interpreter or interlocutor between their coaching and the players. You were and are unable to provide any evidence that the model you espouse has had any such effect in the past. That is not confirmation bias. It is a rebuttal based on the evidence of the modus operandi of great coaches.
2. Argument from authority is using the opinion of "authorities" to provide the basis of an argument.
This " To favour the informed opinion of people with a track record of strong performance in the selection of quality staff and who have direct experience working with someone over the uninformed rambling from a clearly biased web forum poster is not an example of a cognitive bias. It is a thoroughly reasonable position to take. What is worthless is engaging with you on this or any other matter any further. is a classic of the genre. So basically any contrary opinion in dissent of the "authority" of club management is worthless. And they reckon North Korea is repressive
3. Our club has had a mixed record in terms of decisions. You are claiming that we have an "almost golden era". Lets put it more bluntly. We should have had a genuine golden era of at least three premierships. We were robbed in one by appalling umpiring and outcoached in another one. But we should have had a golden era in terms of exciting football with a then dominant midfield and the most brilliant footbalerl to lace on a boot for a generation post-2012. Alas it didn't happen as Longmire is still coaching the 2012 GF. The game has passed his defensive game plan by. Great players which we have and had can win premierships but poor coaching will certainly lose them.Why cant you admit the obvious?
4. I never said the role of a captain was redundant. I said that the co-captaincy model was basically fad management theory BS. There is still a role for the inspirational captain who lifts his team by deed and daring. We have such a brilliant game winning team lifting player in Franklin. Fits the mould perfectly of a great playing captain. He also happens to be AA captain. He should be captaining our club team. It is an absolute absurdity that he is not. And that we have the travesty of captaincy by committee in his place. I said its not a problem if he isn't delivering Douglas Macarthur type oratory. We now have a PR department for that puffery. He wins games off his own boot, he lifts the kids around, we all walk taller on and into the ground with him playing. He is the Ted Whitten of his day. As if Ted Whitten would ever have not captained Footscray or Bobby Skilton South. Skilton by the way was hardly Gough Whitlam with his oratory. But I saw him lift the Bloods at the Lake Oval countless times. He even inspired us when they laid him out unconscious on a stretcher. Its called footballing charisma on the field. Franklin has it in spades.
5. There is an analogous situation when the great Keith Miller was passed over for the Australian cricket captaincy in favour of a complete cricketer dud in Ian Johnston. Syd Barnes said he could play Johnston with a toothpick and once came out to face him with a toy bat. Miller was a brilliant all rounder and inspirational in his play on the field. He was regarded as not the right "type" to captain Australia in favour of a mediocre off-spinner that made the right speeches. A sporting injustice. I would really like to know the reason that Buddy Franklin isn't considered good enough or suitable enough to captain our club side? Any suggestions? He didn't even make it into the committee.
6. I look forward to another round or two of bare knuckle reflections in the new year. If that"s not to be i will battle on. And have a good xmas.

Last edited:

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Okay, then I'm confused. Do you think the captain is important, or not important? I personally think captains should basically be the on-field coaches. In the thick of a match, when the coach can't rally his troops, it's up to the captain to direct traffic and keep his team-mates on alert. Luke Hodge may be a better example then. There were very few occasions throughout Hawthorn's three-peat where Hodge was their best player. It was usually always Mitchell, or Lewis, or Burgoyne, or Roughead, or Buddy, or Sewell. Hodge could often have just decent games as the general on the half back/back of the centre square, but they were never starring efforts as often as some of his other team-mate, like Rioli who could win games off his own boot similarly to Buddy. And yet Hodge was a great captain, because he got through to his team-mates more often than any other captain in the league could. And yes they had an elite list, but he still helped capitalise on their talent and potential.
Hodge was a great captain because of the way he played. Not the way he spoke. Put his body on the line and did the tough things. That kind of captain through guts or sheer brilliance lifts teams. We have an AA captain who is brilliant and inspiring on the field. The captaincy by committee is BS. Does that clear it up?

Last edited:

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
AA captaincy was mere symbolism for his record equaling 7th selection in the team. I am not sure that it can be used as evidence that the club, with far more information than anyone here (as well as those selecting the team), including the ability to hear Buddy’s thoughts on the matter, are somehow denying his leadership aspirations.

Believe he should be captain with limited information if you like (I can see the perspective that it comes from), but I can’t see how his selection as AA captain holds any relevance to his actual credentials as a leader (including if he wants it!).
Er yes it is symbolic because we don't play internationals. But it is a position of great status and honour. Buddy will go down in history with Andrew McCloud as the only two AA captains that never captained a club side. The problem isn't Franklin but the fad managerialism in our club. No names, no pack drill of course. Out of respect to the bloke he should be offered the captaincy and if he turns it down so be it.

Last edited:
Hodge was a great captain because of the way he played. Not the way he spoke. Put his body on the line and did the tough things. That kind of captain through guts or sheer brilliance lifts teams. We have an AA captain who is brilliant and inspiring on the field. The captaincy by committee is BS. Does that clear it up?

Well sort of, but like I said Hodge was rarely Hawthorn's best player, as good as he was. Just like Buddy may be our best player more often than not, it's the body on the line and tough things players like Parker and JPK who define leadership better in your own words. They are guts and sheer brilliance embodied IMO. So I don't necessarily think it has to be your best player who is your captain. But we'll agree to disagree on this one methinks.

I think the structure of the leadership is quite unsubstantial compared to the quality of the appointed leaders and fulfil their responsibilities on and off the field. Whether it's 1 or 3 people captaining if they're all upholding standards and expectations, effectively getting the coaches' message to the players, inspiring the team etc. etc. and we'll get better performances. Having 6 captains on rotation after Stewie Maxfield went down in 2005 didn't exactly hinder us.

There was some room for improvement in our leadership in 2018. Very often we'd have significant patches of games where for 15-20 minutes the players would seemingly play with low intensity as a collective. It's up to leadership to arrest that. It remains to be seen whether Parker and Rampe's promotions would help us in that regard but it probably wouldn't be the wisest to go into the next year maintaining the status quo after a year of underachievement.

I think the structure of the leadership is quite unsubstantial compared to the quality of the appointed leaders and fulfil their responsibilities on and off the field. Whether it's 1 or 3 people captaining if they're all upholding standards and expectations, effectively getting the coaches' message to the players, inspiring the team etc. etc. and we'll get better performances. Having 6 captains on rotation after Stewie Maxfield went down in 2005 didn't exactly hinder us.

There was some room for improvement in our leadership in 2018. Very often we'd have significant patches of games where for 15-20 minutes the players would seemingly play with low intensity as a collective. It's up to leadership to arrest that. It remains to be seen whether Parker and Rampe's promotions would help us in that regard but it probably wouldn't be the wisest to go into the next year maintaining the status quo after a year of underachievement.

I think those fluctuations in form had to do with two things: the youth and inexperience in our 22 this year, and the lack of buy-in to a system or game-plan across the list. I think the coach can help with the latter (won't open that can of worms here though), and increasing the leadership can help with the former.

If there's a lapse in our form mid-game like there so often was this year, and one of our captains can't get into the game, having another two on hand who are expected to step up to the plate could be what lifts our youngsters just that little bit more. I also don't care how it makes our captains be perceived, as inferior or not-worthy because they have a lesser responsibility. Do we want a great team or do we want great captains? I know which I'd prefer!

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

So its a motivation problem. You want to arrest that? Why not try the model of "Punishment Battalions" of the Red Army in WWII. They had NKVD behind them to shoot them when they turned and ran. As Stalin said: 'You have to be a brave man to be a coward in the Red Army." Committees do not make up for deficiencies in leadership. And thats not aimed at Kennedy.

So its a motivation problem. You want to arrest that? Why not try the model of "Punishment Battalions" of the Red Army in WWII. They had NKVD behind them to shoot them when they turned and ran. As Stalin said: 'You have to be a brave man to be a coward in the Red Army." Committees do not make up for deficiencies in leadership. And thats not aimed at Kennedy.

+1 for the NKVD reference.

So its a motivation problem. You want to arrest that?
Actually motivation would have very little to do with it. For any player that truly belongs at the top level self-motivation is a given. I'd attribute the drop-offs in games to a lack of composure, direction and confidence when the opposition captures the momentum. The result can include players being tentative, making errors, or losing structure. It's the responsibility of leaders starting with the captain would provide the composure and instruction in such times to help the rest of the team turn the situation around. The most crucial part of that is leading by example and setting the standard for others to follow. And that isn't necessarily limited to one person, Goodes and McVeigh were excellent captains and leaders each in their own right, the fact that they held the captaincy simultaneously in 2011-12 didn't diminish their credibility as leaders. It worked quite effectively because they both upheld the standards and fulfilled the responsibilities expected of them then.

Clearly the club believe that Parker and Rampe have reached a stage where they are ready to take on more responsibilities. As of right now the move is neither here nor there. It remains to be seen whether the promotion elevates their performances, Kennedy's and the team's as a collective or burdens them and takes the club backwards. I'll reserve judgement on the decision until I see the team start playing again.

Given Franklin's stature and performances, and the fact he's never had involvement in the leadership groups of Sydney or Hawthorn (IIRC) the reasonable conclusion would probably be that he has no aspirations to be a leader in an official capacity.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Given Franklin's stature and performances, and the fact he's never had involvement in the leadership groups of Sydney or Hawthorn (IIRC) the reasonable conclusion would probably be that he has no aspirations to be a leader in an official capacity.
My point was he should have been offered. Its called respect.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Actually motivation would have very little to do with it. For any player that truly belongs at the top level self-motivation is a given. I'd attribute the drop-offs in games to a lack of composure, direction and confidence when the opposition captures the momentum. The result can include players being tentative, making errors, or losing structure. It's the responsibility of leaders starting with the captain would provide the composure and instruction in such times to help the rest of the team turn the situation around. The most crucial part of that is leading by example and setting the standard for others to follow. And that isn't necessarily limited to one person, Goodes and McVeigh were excellent captains and leaders each in their own right, the fact that they held the captaincy simultaneously in 2011-12 didn't diminish their credibility as leaders. It worked quite effectively because they both upheld the standards and fulfilled the responsibilities expected of them then.

Clearly the club believe that Parker and Rampe have reached a stage where they are ready to take on more responsibilities. As of right now the move is neither here nor there. It remains to be seen whether the promotion elevates their performances, Kennedy's and the team's as a collective or burdens them and takes the club backwards. I'll reserve judgement on the decision until I see the team start playing again.
My point is that captain committees (an absurd non-sequitur outside of trendy management speak) are symptomatic of a bigger problem If the purpose of a group captaincy is to improve the relationship between the players then the solution is with the coach.
It cant be an on field direction problem as we had a captain of wonderful leadership pedigree, a pointing half back flank general of Erich von Manstein capability according to some here and a runner FFS. And the most inspirational footballer to play in a generation to lift the kids off his own boot. How much direction do these players need? The fact is Longmire is a micro manager directional coach. The little p###k that coaches Hawthorn summed it up tersely when he explained to the cowered media the difference between a systems coach and a directions coach. Systems coaches allow the players to innovate within an expansive game plan. Direction coaches try to micro manage on the field within a restrictive game plan.
My conclusion is Longmire is inadequate either by personality or will in communicating effectively with a young group of players.
My killer point is that Longmire should go as early as can be decently and contractually arranged if he cant adequately and effectively communicate with his players that the club has recruited. Great or even good coaches don't need interlocutors in the dressing sheds.
For the ostrich faction I make no apologies for another Longmire critique. He's on 800,000 a year and I am on the pension, following the club for the last heart breaking and exhilarating 68 years. I have a right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back