Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
He was always going to leave, but of his own volition. Go Co was the story early in the year.
No, he was going to be delisted. I have stated the source as being a board member FFS (this member was a huge fan last year). Nothing to do with his own volition, he was on the outer as of early in the year. Your GC story is media rubbish and something you yourself speculated on July 25 in the Newman thread.

You can’t tell some people (even if posted all throughout season)...I might not have much but what I had was fact!

Fair enough MO. If I was sucked in by the family sourced speculation earlier this year, that's my bad.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I know that I am going over old ground but I think that it is worthwhile to clarify a situation that many of us have speculated about over the past two years. Why did Tom Mitchell leave?
On a cruise that my wife and I just completed we came across some immediate members of Tom's family who only declared as much after we started talking about the footy and that we were Swan's supporters. One of them gave a very strange look when we mentioned this and I kept pressing them as to why. Eventually, they declared their relationship to him. For the sake of privacy, I won't declare exactly who they are but can assure you they know the true story in detail. They were not keen on telling the full story as they felt they were betraying Tom's confidentiality.
Firstly, they were adamant that Tom did NOT want to leave the Swans but was left with little option not to.
Tom declared to them only months after originally joining the Swans that John Longmire didn't seem to like him very much. He was told by his family that it was more than likely just in his head and not to worry or think about it too much. As time went on, he felt that it didn't seem to get any better.
The situation got so bad in Tom's eyes that he tried on a number of occasions to have a one on one discussion with Longmire about it but this was refused. Longmire literally refused to see one of his players who felt that there were issues.
Even though he felt somewhat unwanted he approached the club 6 months before his contract expired hoping to get a new deal done. He was continually told that there were other deals that needed to be finalised before they could look at his. Again, he tried to speak to Longmire about the situation but without success.
As time went on, it became quite obvious to Tom that the Swans weren't all that fussed about keeping him which was confirmed when they finally put an offer to him in August. The amount they offered was well below what should have been expected and was actually less than his current contract. As a result he started looking elsewhere (via his agent) and decided on Hawthorn. Hawthorn's offer was certainly not over the top like some offers to free agents have been recently but it was significantly more than Sydney's.
At the end of the day, it wasn't so much the money but it was the fact that he knew he wasn't respected or truly wanted at the Swans which forced him out the door. He still has a number of mates at the Swans who he is still very close to.
So for all those who have said over the last year or two "good riddance, he only left for the money" - you are sadly mistaken.
It is probably fair to say that Nick Newman falls into the same category. Not in Longmire's good books for whatever reason and is consequently no longer with us.
Shame the same thing won't happen with Longmire himself. He's certainly not in my good books.

I know that I am going over old ground but I think that it is worthwhile to clarify a situation that many of us have speculated about over the past two years. Why did Tom Mitchell leave?
On a cruise that my wife and I just completed we came across some immediate members of Tom's family who only declared as much after we started talking about the footy and that we were Swan's supporters. One of them gave a very strange look when we mentioned this and I kept pressing them as to why. Eventually, they declared their relationship to him. For the sake of privacy, I won't declare exactly who they are but can assure you they know the true story in detail. They were not keen on telling the full story as they felt they were betraying Tom's confidentiality.
Firstly, they were adamant that Tom did NOT want to leave the Swans but was left with little option not to.
Tom declared to them only months after originally joining the Swans that John Longmire didn't seem to like him very much. He was told by his family that it was more than likely just in his head and not to worry or think about it too much. As time went on, he felt that it didn't seem to get any better.
The situation got so bad in Tom's eyes that he tried on a number of occasions to have a one on one discussion with Longmire about it but this was refused. Longmire literally refused to see one of his players who felt that there were issues.
Even though he felt somewhat unwanted he approached the club 6 months before his contract expired hoping to get a new deal done. He was continually told that there were other deals that needed to be finalised before they could look at his. Again, he tried to speak to Longmire about the situation but without success.
As time went on, it became quite obvious to Tom that the Swans weren't all that fussed about keeping him which was confirmed when they finally put an offer to him in August. The amount they offered was well below what should have been expected and was actually less than his current contract. As a result he started looking elsewhere (via his agent) and decided on Hawthorn. Hawthorn's offer was certainly not over the top like some offers to free agents have been recently but it was significantly more than Sydney's.
At the end of the day, it wasn't so much the money but it was the fact that he knew he wasn't respected or truly wanted at the Swans which forced him out the door. He still has a number of mates at the Swans who he is still very close to.
So for all those who have said over the last year or two "good riddance, he only left for the money" - you are sadly mistaken.
It is probably fair to say that Nick Newman falls into the same category. Not in Longmire's good books for whatever reason and is consequently no longer with us.
Shame the same thing won't happen with Longmire himself. He's certainly not in my good books.

Thanks for that Bandicoot.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
As time went on, it became quite obvious to Tom that the Swans weren't all that fussed about keeping him which was confirmed when they finally put an offer to him in August.

Offer was on the table before June.

Mitchell put off contract talks.

The amount they offered was well below what should have been expected and was actually less than his current contract.

His manager, well before August:

"We're reasonably close to where we want to be, both parties, but we'll put it on hold and let Tom concentrate on his football because that's what it's all about.

"The Swans are happy to keep calling and we'll listen and see how we go from there.'

So well before August the Swans were making the approaches to Mitchell and were reasonably close to what he wanted.

Someones pulling your tail.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Offer was on the table before June.

Mitchell put off contract talks.

His manager, well before August:

"We're reasonably close to where we want to be, both parties, but we'll put it on hold and let Tom concentrate on his football because that's what it's all about.

"The Swans are happy to keep calling and we'll listen and see how we go from there.'

So well before August the Swans were making the approaches to Mitchell and were reasonably close to what he wanted.

Someones pulling your tail.

Are you really stupid enough to believe what managers and clubs say prior to finalising a contract? I didn't think anyone could be that naive!!

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Well done Bandy , not everyone can like everyone in the group, but that is why my mail about Horse is spot on. Mates are mates and when you s**t on a few they group together , that's why this year is his last.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

How was the cruise?

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Are you really stupid enough to believe what managers and clubs say prior to finalising a contract? I didn't think anyone could be that naive!!
Why would it be stupid? Both parties on both sides of negotiations were saying the same thing.

Woefully unprofessional of Horse if he just flat out ignored Mitchell's attempts to smooth things over.

Hoping bedford is spot on with this being the last 12 months of Horse's tenure.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Are you so desperate to lay the blame that you’ll straight up believe one side of the story without conceding it is extremely likely to be biased in favour of Tom given the source?

I mean, given Horse over the years has been lauded for his man management and relationship with his players, don’t you find it strange that there appears to be only a couple of examples of players who appeared to be off side with Horse? (With fairly limited evidence and only biased sources)

Maybe it had something to do with the individual players and their attitudes?

I personally find it hard to believe that Horse locked his door to Tom and wouldn’t speak with him.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Well done Bandy , not everyone can like everyone in the group, but that is why my mail about Horse is spot on. Mates are mates and when you s**t on a few they group together , that's why this year is his last.
Hang on, am I reading that right, are you saying that Horse will be gone at the end of the coming season?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Hang on, am I reading that right, are you saying that Horse will be gone at the end of the coming season?

That’s what he has been suggesting.

Though I personally doubt a firm decision has been made on that. I suspect if there is some truth to it, and it’s possible there is, then in my opinion it is unlikely to be an absolute and more likely to be condition based (ie. if things don’t change on the field then we will be looking to change).

It may be a case of a forced transition for 2020 onwards, a bit like Roos in his final season, and John has a choice whether to be part of that.

Or it could be bullshit (wishful thinking) :)

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Are you so desperate to lay the blame that you’ll straight up believe one side of the story without conceding it is extremely likely to be biased in favour of Tom given the source?

I mean, given Horse over the years has been lauded for his man management and relationship with his players, don’t you find it strange that there appears to be only a couple of examples of players who appeared to be off side with Horse? (With fairly limited evidence and only biased sources)

Maybe it had something to do with the individual players and their attitudes?

I personally find it hard to believe that Horse locked his door to Tom and wouldn’t speak with him.
I don’t see that they had any reason to lie. This was a question that I specifically asked after they suggested that there was a personal issue between the two. They were adamant that Longmire didn’t want to talk to him.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I don’t see that they had any reason to lie. This was a question that I specifically asked after they suggested that there was a personal issue between the two. They were adamant that Longmire didn’t want to talk to him.

I didn’t suggest they lied from their perspective of what they were told.

That doesn’t mean it is the truth though, just Tom’s perspective on his version of events from his perspective which would certainly have an element of bias in his favour.

It is highly unlikely that any issue John had with Tom was completely unfounded, and it is clear this detail is missing from the turn of events you’ve been presented.

Perhaps he had an attitude problem? Certainly Newman is another one that has been noted as John not being a fan of and Mick O has indicated that attitude was an issue for him from the clubs perspective.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
That’s what he has been suggesting.

Though I personally doubt a firm decision has been made on that. I suspect if there is some truth to it, and it’s possible there is, then in my opinion it is unlikely to be an absolute and more likely to be condition based (ie. if things don’t change on the field then we will be looking to change).

It may be a case of a forced transition for 2020 onwards, a bit like Roos in his final season, and John has a choice whether to be part of that.

Or it could be bullshit (wishful thinking) :)
It is stale atm, he needs to change a few things , or he will be gone in a nice manner. We always do those things well.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Apparently people are that naive. Just look at those that were saying that Lloyd was going to leave because he hadn’t signed. My info (I know his manager) was that he was staying and it was just playing out so Jake could concentrate on footy. People will believe what they want to read into it, not necessarily what someone in the know, has to say! As much as I wanted Mitchell to stay, there’s clear evidence that there was discontent between he and Longmire.

Thanks for your informative input. Now hopefully we can leave it alone to concentrate on what we have now!

Back