Class of 92 vs Class of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Very, very interesting. I made this thread as I'd like to get your guys opinions on which West Coast players from 2018 would most resemble, if at all, players of 1992.I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Additionally as mentioned a few times now, premiership years for you guys in 92, 94 and 2018, you lost 6 times in the home and away season. In fact in 1994 and 2018 you went 16-6 { and played Collingwood and Melbourne in week 1 and 3 both years at home } and in 1992 finished with a 15-6-1 record. Of course the game has changed a lot since then, but it makes for a very interesting debate on which sides were better etc. We also have a tendancy to look at the past with rose coloured glasses.

This Eagle side was simply brilliant. Had a 10 match winning sequence, overcome numerous injuries. This was the hardest prem to win for them imo and as hard as premiership as anyone has got in the history of the AFL with notable key absences from your squad throughout the year. Not only that, you came from 5 goals down in a Grand Final. Not many sides have come from that far behind in Grand Final history.

West Coast 92 were sublime no doubt. Like the 2018 winning side, they also triumphed against the Grand Finalist 3 successive times in Geelong. You had an amazing win in the Grand Final rematch out at Waverley against the Hawks { coming from 4 goals at quarter time } and had some cracking wins against the Doggies at home when they were ladder leaders which kick started your year, an earlier scalp against the Saints { Metropolis 4 goals with his first 4 kicks in football, snagged 6 for the game } and other decent victories away to Carlton at Princess Park and again in the last game of the year where a finals birth was on the line for them. But West Coast 92 weren't without their struggles. They started the season very slow losing to lowly Sydney, drawing with Brisbane at the GABBA and narrowly defeating Richmond by a point at the G. Granted it was early days and you guys would run riot after another loss to Fitzroy, and injuries did play their part { something that certainly didn't stop this side }

West Coast also gave up a good lead in the wet against fellow finalist Collingwood at Subi. We touched you up earlier in the year with a 11 goal 2nd quarter also on your home deck, and later on in Melbourne against the Saints at Moorabin and the Doggies out at Western, you couldn't handle the wet, muddy and miserly conditions and got belted in both. Also fellow finalists and very strong opposition that year. You guys would play the best when it mattered no question, but often we do look at the past with a biased nature.

West Coast of 2018 also steered the ship after losing three on the trot. That's a very tough and serious gut check to answer and overcome from a side that had many question marks with injuries and their ability to play in Melbourne, as well as playing in there on the biggest stage of them all.

So anyway Eagle boys, please compare some of the Eagles from now to the Eagles of 1992, 1994, 2006 and 2018 in terms of similarity of players and if you will compare the sides of the winning years and rank who were the best.

I'll start it off. J.K has to be your Sumich. Is McGovern the Glen Jackovich of today for example?

Again, Furthermore it's hard to compare players of yesteryear to today as the game has changed. But for example, if the eagles of 92 took out Kemp { Gaff } Mckenna { Sheppard } and Nit Nat { Paul Harding but better x 5 } they wouldn't have won the flag. That's what you guys were facing this year.

Crazy stuff.

Not 92 obviously but 1994 Eagles were trounced by Hawthorn twice and the Maggies at the G by 37 points { as they also did in 2006, almost identical scores }

Point being again that the sides of yesteryear weren't invincible { obviously } and shouldn't be viewed as such. Dockers smacked the eagles in 2006 also and beat them twice too.

92 GF trailed by 17 at Qt
92 GF trailed by 12 at Ht
#4 left footer kicks our last goal

18 GF trailed by 17 at Qt
18 GF trailed by 12 at Ht
#4 left footer kicks our last goal
And a player with an aboriginal background kicked your first goal of the game and a FF kicked your second.

Kerrrraaaazzzzzyyyyyyy

both 1st qtr's were 5 goals to 2 as well.

Hurn is probably pretty comparable to Woosha. A rock in defence (though he is a better kick than Woosha was).

Yeo and Kemp seem similar to me, in that both were/ are absolute class but not necessarily flashy players.

I think Rioli can become Chris Lewis v2.0 with his silky skills. Hopefully gets suspended less frequently than Chris did, though!

And Kelly is coming here next year for a late second rounder.

Hurn is probably pretty comparable to Woosha. A rock in defence (though he is a better kick than Woosha was).

Yeo and Kemp seem similar to me, in that both were/ are absolute class but not necessarily flashy players.

I think Rioli can become Chris Lewis v2.0 with his silky skills. Hopefully gets suspended less frequently than Chris did, though!

Yeo seems more flashy than class IMO. Still a gun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo I wouldve thought is way more of a flashy player than classy. Had the lowest DE of all the Eagles midfielders. But oh boy can he take some cappas/kick a goal from outside 50 when he wants to

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Point being again that the sides of yesteryear weren't invincible { obviously } and shouldn't be viewed as such. Dockers smacked the eagles in 2006 also and beat them twice too.[/QUOTE]

This makes 2006 all the sweeter.

Just nod in agreement with your filthy Docker mates when they raise they had our measure in 06.

Then bask in that warm inner glow as you assure them that they defiantly let one slip.

Point being again that the sides of yesteryear weren't invincible { obviously } and shouldn't be viewed as such. Dockers smacked the eagles in 2006 also and beat them twice too.

This makes 2006 all the sweeter.

Just nod in agreement with your filthy Docker mates when they raise they had our measure in 06.

Then bask in that warm inner glow as you assure them that they defiantly let one slip.[/QUOTE]

The dockers were a much worse side than us in 06 on paper.

However Chris Connolly was the one who started the mass interchange revolution that year and it took his very average team from nobody's to contenders. We were renowned as a very hard running midfield based side. Because they had the advantage of the at the time revolutionary interchange setup which allowed their players to run at their best for longer they matched up on us very well.

Some very smart tactics almost allowed the dockers to steal a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back