Prediction Who will finish higher - Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, Brisbane or St Kilda

Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters
Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
You didn’t just vote or comment on this thread topic though did you? You went on to say “-if there were other polls about who’s list was in the worst shape... “ implying that Carlton’s was better than ours. Until you beat us, it’s not!

There's no correlation between how well you beat us in 2018 to whether you'll finish higher than the Dockers, Lions, or Dogs is there? Why is this such a hard concept for Saints fans to grasp? Is beating Carlton really your Grand Final? Because if im being honestSt Kildas woes are barely an afterthought to me

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
You could literally say that about any of these teams - if they get decimated by injury they'll struggle to make it to 5 games.

Very simplistic way to look at it I reckon.

Let's play a little game, I will put together a select list of Freo players and then match them like for like (as best I can from a small amount of effort) with players from the other 3 teams.

#1 Player, Fyfe: Ross, Bontempelli, Beams
#1 Ruck, Sandilands: Hickey, Roughead, Martin
#3 Mid, SHill: Steele, Dunkley, Robinson
#1 Wing, BHill: Achres, Hunter, Berry
#1 SF, Walters: Gresham, McLean, Taylor
#2 Ruck, Darcy: Longer, English, McInerney
Young def, Logue: Phillips, Naughton, Witherden
HBF/Mid, Blakely: Webster, Richards, Rich
X Factor, Bennell: Billings, Dahlhaus, Cameron
#1 KPF, Taberner: Membrey, Boyd, Hipwood

The list of Freo players here are all players that had serious injuries throughout 2018. Some of them arent as good as their direct opponents and some of them are better, but they are key to Fremantles structures.

Michael Walters managed to string together 18 games but was clearly hampered by the knee injury that he sustained 10 minutes into the Rd6 Western Derby. From Fyfes 15 games to Bennells Nil, if Freo wasnt decimated by injuries, I dread the year that they are...

It's not a real game, just showing you it's not all roses for everyone...

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's no correlation between how well you beat us in 2018 to whether you'll finish higher than the Dockers, Lions, or Dogs is there? Why is this such a hard concept for Saints fans to grasp? Is beating Carlton really your Grand Final? Because if im being honestSt Kildas woes are barely an afterthought to me

I was replying to your off topic comment that ours and GCs list are worse than yours. There is a correlation to how much we beat you by when comparing our lists!!

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I was replying to your off topic comment that ours and GCs list are worse than yours. There is a correlation to how much we beat you by when comparing our lists!!

You seem obsessed with Carlton. You need to come to terms with the fact that I see no improvement for St Kilda in 2019. The fact that I'm a Carlton supporter has no influence on this viewpoint. St Kilda isnt even a minor rival to us so I'm not vested enough to deathride your mob.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Let's play a little game, I will put together a select list of Freo players and then match them like for like (as best I can from a small amount of effort) with players from the other 3 teams.

The list of Freo players here are all players that had serious injuries throughout 2018. Some of them arent as good as their direct opponents and some of them are better, but they are key to Fremantles structures.

Michael Walters managed to string together 18 games but was clearly hampered by the knee injury that he sustained 10 minutes into the Rd6 Western Derby. From Fyfes 15 games to Bennells Nil, if Freo wasnt decimated by injuries, I dread the year that they are...

I’m gonna assume you watch very little of St.Kilda.

Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
Voted WB, thought they rediscovered their mojo late in the year and if they continue and build on that they could have a much better year.
Was that the team that won just 3 of their last 8 games, and one of their wins was against Carlton after being down 36-34 late in the third quarter?

There's no denying Freo had a terrible run with injuries. But your game where an injured Freo player is selected and then players from the other 3 clubs who primarily weren't injured are selected as their equivalents is flawed and can be easily manipulated. It wrongly gives the impression that the other sides didn't also have a terrible run of injuries.

With your list, our third mid could be Libber who played 20 minutes for the season. Our KPF could be Redpath who played 2 games. Our number one ruck could be Boyd who missed 10 games. Our small forward could be Clay Smith who didn't play a game or maybe Dickson who missed 14. Our young defender could be Adams who missed 16 games. Our half back flanker / mid could be Bailey Williams who missed 8 games. Our X factor could be Picken who didn't play a game. Can there be a category for intercept markers so we can include Wood who missed 10 games? Distributors from the back line so we can include Suckling who missed 11 games? Lock down defenders so we can include Morris who missed 11 games?

Was that the team that won just 3 of their last 8 games, and one of their wins was against Carlton after being down 36-34 late in the third quarter?

3 of their last 4. And the loss was by less than a kick to Richmond.

Good way to spin it. He did say “late” in the year

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

To be fair, you'd have to consider the number of key injuries at other sides too if you want to play this game.

Dogs injury list included:
#Starting Mid, Tom Liberatore (ACL, entire season)
#Mid-Forward, Liam Picken (Concussion, entire season)
#KPD, Dale Morris (ACL, half season)
#Wing/Forward, Bailey Dale (Foot, half season)
#Half-Back/Mid, Bailey Williams (Foot, just over third of season, was ranked elite in multiple areas before injury)
#KPD, Marcus Adams (Ankle, half season)
#Forward, Tory Dickson (Hamstring, two thirds of season)
#Key Forward, Jack Redpath (Knee, only managed 2 games before having to retire due to injury)
#Captain, Easton Wood (Hamstring, half season)
#Ruck, Tim English (Foot, third of season)
#KPD, Zaine Cordy (Fractured Skull, quarter of season)

This is not even mentioning the multiple missed weeks each for Bontempelli, Macrae, Trengove, etc.

The Dogs were ****ed right in the ass by injuries this year. Honestly the only teams that rivalled ours were the Pies, Adelaide and possibly your guys. At one point, up to 14 of our best 22 were out with injury. We never once fielded our full strength team, which was why our side was the youngest and least experienced in 18 out of 22 rounds this year

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we're going to do this and spin things to make a side look worse, how did your "2019 contenders" side go in the prelim this year? Not a single goal before half time, that doesn't sound like a legitimate contender to me...

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be fair, you'd have to consider the number of key injuries at other sides too if you want to play this game.

Dogs injury list included:
#Starting Mid, Tom Liberatore (ACL, entire season)
#Mid-Forward, Liam Picken (Concussion, entire season)
#KPD, Dale Morris (ACL, half season)
#Wing/Forward, Bailey Dale (Foot, half season)
#Half-Back/Mid, Bailey Williams (Foot, just over third of season, was ranked elite in multiple areas before injury)
#KPD, Marcus Adams (Ankle, half season)
#Forward, Tory Dickson (Hamstring, two thirds of season)
#Key Forward, Jack Redpath (Knee, only managed 2 games before having to retire due to injury)
#Captain, Easton Wood (Hamstring, half season)
#Ruck, Tim English (Foot, third of season)
#KPD, Zaine Cordy (Fractured Skull, quarter of season)

This is not even mentioning the multiple missed weeks each for Bontempelli, Macrae, Trengove, etc.

The Dogs were ****** right in the ass by injuries this year. Honestly the only teams that rivalled ours were the Pies, Adelaide and possibly your guys. At one point, up to 14 of our best 22 were out with injury. We never once fielded our full strength team, which was why our side was the youngest and least experienced in 18 out of 22 rounds this year

Sorry, why. I support Freo and my post was based around Freo. Go right ahead and do one about your team is you wish...

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's no denying Freo had a terrible run with injuries. But your game where an injured Freo player is selected and then players from the other 3 clubs who primarily weren't injured are selected as their equivalents is flawed and can be easily manipulated. It wrongly gives the impression that the other sides didn't also have a terrible run of injuries.

With your list, our third mid could be Libber who played 20 minutes for the season. Our KPF could be Redpath who played 2 games. Our number one ruck could be Boyd who missed 10 games. Our small forward could be Clay Smith who didn't play a game or maybe Dickson who missed 14. Our young defender could be Adams who missed 16 games. Our half back flanker / mid could be Bailey Williams who missed 8 games. Our X factor could be Picken who didn't play a game. Can there be a category for intercept markers so we can include Wood who missed 10 games? Distributors from the back line so we can include Suckling who missed 11 games? Lock down defenders so we can include Morris who missed 11 games?

Mate, this is how I opened the post.

'Freo players' and 'Like for like' is the key to the game. You go ahead and do one for the Dogs and you may see my point!

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry, why. I support Freo and my post was based around Freo. Go right ahead and do one about your team is you wish...
Because you were obviously trying to point out how much Freo were affected by injuries, as if that affects how they might go next year in comparison. I'm then doing a likewise comparison. No need to get defensive

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Because you were obviously trying to point out how much Freo were affected by injuries, as if that affects how they might go next year in comparison. I'm then doing a likewise comparison. No need to get defensive

No, not even in the slightest. If you actually go and look at the post I replied to, you may find some correlation. "You could literally say that about any of these teams", "struggle to win 5 games" and all that.

It's only defensive if you take it that way. Unless it was written, which it wasnt!

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you have more elite players then losing five of them has less impact.

I think Freo has several now, regardless of what champion data think.
Champion rates the top 10% in each position as elite. They have some pretty ****ed up ratings (Bont and Cripps both not elite for example) but who would you consider elite at Free besides Fyfe? Just keeping in mind the top 10% thing

Champion rates the top 10% in each position as elite. They have some pretty ****** up ratings (Bont and Cripps both not elite for example) but who would you consider elite at Free besides Fyfe? Just keeping in mind the top 10% thing

Champion data break the categories right down, someone listed as a general-medium-forward that actually plays midfield will be rated elite for clearances.

Lobb - contested mark
Sandilands - hitouts
Fyfe - clearances, contested marks
Wilson - metres gained from defense
Ryan - metres gained from defense, scoring chain involvements
Bradley Hill - repeat sprint efforts

Just a few off the top of my head

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you have more elite players then losing five of them has less impact.

I think Freo has several now, regardless of what champion data think.

Champion bloody Data , seriously what the hell did we ever do to those guys

18th best fwds

16th best mids

17th best backs

17th overall

I know we have been crap but jeez it seems like we'll be doing well to win a game

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back