Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy's been too small to play on the inside at AFL level, which is where he played his best football in the TAC Cup, so he mostly gets shoved on the outside. I would have liked to see him play more in the VFL to develop than battle on the flank in the seniors but as seen in the second half of the season, he's now more capable of holding is own around the ball. He's no superstar, but he'll still be a very good player for us.

He's still played 54 games out of a possible 67 in his first 3 years, not a fluke.
If you have a look back I wasn't the poster calling him a spud.

I was just pointing out that on present form/ability (taking away age/potential improvement) it would not be unrealistic to say he is a fringe player at the moment.

I also said I don't think he has any great weaknesses but on the flip side he doesn't really have any standout elite traits either. That's not a knock on him, he should improve and end up a 200 game player.

If you have a look back I wasn't the poster calling him a spud.

I was just pointing out that on present form/ability (taking away age/potential improvement) it would not be unrealistic to say he is a fringe player at the moment.

I also said I don't think he has any great weaknesses but on the flip side he doesn't really have any standout elite traits either. That's not a knock on him, he should improve and end up a 200 game player.
I was referring to why he wasn't showing any elite traits; he's being played out of position from where he plays his best football. He was a very good clearance player at TAC Cup level and with experience, he will be at AFL level too.

I was referring to why he wasn't showing any elite traits; he's being played out of position from where he plays his best football. He was a very good clearance player at TAC Cup level and with experience, he will be at AFL level too.
Possibly. Many players dominate TAC in a certain area but come to the AFL and can't have the same impact so they have to learn to adapt a new style of game.

If he is struggling to get a game as an inside mid at a club that probably lacks that type of player, that isn't a great sign. Having said that, he is 21 and if he can build his strength up he could very well end up becoming that type of player

If he is struggling to get a game as an inside mid at a club that probably lacks that type of player, that isn't a great sign. Having said that, he is 21 and if he can build his strength up he could very well end up becoming that type of player

The issue for Parish is there's only so many 180cm types that can role through the midfield. The coaching staff went with Zaharakis, Merrett and Smith. Now in 2019 we're adding Shiel to the mix. I'm not sure we made the right call on not playing Parish in the center especially after he was the only midfielder who held his own in our 2017 final .

The issue for Parish is there's only so many 180cm types that can role through the midfield. The coaching staff went with Zaharakis, Merrett and Smith. Now in 2019 we're adding Shiel to the mix. I'm not sure we made the right call on not playing Parish in the center especially after he was the only midfielder who held his own in our 2017 final .
Didn't realize that he was only 180cm.

It is a spin out to think that the 180cm midfielder is a dying breed as they are considered too short and are now being replaced by 190cm+ midielders.

Played well enough for the 6 weeks prior to keep Sewell out of the GF team as well.
Peaked at the right time to be a valuable contributor to a flag. Strange how he could never recapture this purple patch. Opposite of his old man who was super consistent.

Seriously surprised at how underrated Gresham is. I understand by playing in a s**t side you get overlooked, but comments saying it’s a joke he’s rated above Rioli are ridiculous.

Its who is the better player not who has the better stats. Stats can be pretty overrated at times.

Champion data rated him the best pressure forward as well that year so Rioli ain't winning that debate either.

How does champion data determine what pressure is? Some fat guy with pimples scratching guessing possibly. Since Cyril hung up the boots Daniel is as good as anybody is this regard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are very biased.
Tippungwuti averages more goals more tackles more disposals while playing a very similar role.
He didn’t average more disposals this season and was marginally superior with the goals and marks stat. Rioli also didn’t have a pre-season. He had a broken foot from the Grand Final and only returned halfway throughout the year.

But anyway, stats are basically meaningless. Seb Ross averaged more kicks, handballs, disposals and marks than all of Dylan Shiel, Zac Merrett and Devon Smith. What does that tell you? This might sound crazy, but sometimes you actually have to watch footy to gauge the quality of a performance.

He didn’t average more disposals this season and was marginally superior with the goals and marks stat. Rioli also didn’t have a pre-season. He had a broken foot from the Grand Final and only returned halfway throughout the year.

Based purely on performance where would you have Rioli in this draft then?

But anyway, stats are basically meaningless. Seb Ross averaged more kicks, handballs, disposals and marks than all of Dylan Shiel, Zac Merrett and Devon Smith. What does that tell you? This might sound crazy, but sometimes you actually have to watch footy to gauge the quality of a performance.
might wanna tell this to your Richmond mates

Based purely on performance where would you have Rioli in this draft then?
Before all the Rioli overrating/trolling started there were some reasonable lists compiled around August to September where he ranged from roughly 8 to 15. I’d say that’s pretty accurate.

Some people have obviously interpreted the task differently. There’s no way Sier, Francis and Weidemann should be anywhere near the the top based on output. They’re late bloomers and are still relatively unproven, but if you were to literally “re-do” the draft, you could make a strong case for them to be higher based on potential.

might wanna tell this to your Richmond mates
I have already acknowledged I think some of them are overrating Rioli. If you want to hear it again, he’s not better than Gresham.

Trade bait then maybe? I don’t mean that in a bad way though. Decent player with many strengths, but not able to be used to best advantage because his strengths you already have covered

But anyway, stats are basically meaningless. Seb Ross averaged more kicks, handballs, disposals and marks than all of Dylan Shiel, Zac Merrett and Devon Smith. What does that tell you? This might sound crazy, but somaetimes you actually have to watch footy to gauge the quality of a performance.

Said every person ever when stats don’t support their assertion.
I make no claim that Tippa is better. Just using stats to support what my eyes tell me. That the poster I was responding to is overating Rioli if they believe he is well ahead of Tippa Menagola etc.

However high you have Rioli, you have to have Papley higher. Papley averages more disposals, goals, goal assists and tackles than Rioli. Papley like Rioli has also had a couple of big finals kicking 3 and 4 goals in each respectively. Papley is a more consistent performer both in the regular season and finals.

Its who is the better player not who has the better stats. Stats can be pretty overrated at times.

How does champion data determine what pressure is? Some fat guy with pimples scratching guessing possibly. Since Cyril hung up the boots Daniel is as good as anybody is this regard
I like Dan but Gresham’s is the better player by any metric, and the more exciting talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back