News Swans Talk In The Media 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

McEvoy

Alpaca My Bags
Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor SFA Fight For MND SFA Bushfire Appeal SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser drazah memorial Beyond Blue donor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Sep 26, 2016
A good paddock
AFL Club
Sydney
Enjoyed the video on the Swans website with Andrew Ireland and Mike Sheahan :thumbsu:

McEvoy

Alpaca My Bags
Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor SFA Fight For MND SFA Bushfire Appeal SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser drazah memorial Beyond Blue donor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Sep 26, 2016
A good paddock
AFL Club
Sydney

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
How the f*** do you get any of that from my post?! Wow.
We don't have academies in Tonga. Yes they do play Aussie rules but so do people in Asia. The Asian league is alive and well. But they also don't have academies to improve themselves. Academies Do develop players. In a state like NSW where Aussie Rules is the third game played in winter we have established a way to get players away from the other codes.

If that were to happen world wide I would agree with you but players playing domestic Aussie Rules in the South Pacific league or the Asia League are still not ready to be drafted. If the AFL set up academies thet might change

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

McEvoy

Alpaca My Bags
Sep 26, 2016
A good paddock
AFL Club
Sydney
The South Australian police officer related to an indigenous ex Swans superstar #nostalkerhere
Gonna have to get better at stalking. But you got 2 out of three :)

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Its called a f###### inference. If you don't know what that means i suggest you try to avoid witness boxes
I thought what he said was very straight forward. The Academies are starting to produce good players. That can only benefit the comp as a whole. Especially us.

He didn't say any thing about international players. That is a whole different story. By the way many of the players who are trying out in the ststes don't makes it at all and those that do often try out two ir three times before they get a go. Of the thousands who have tried out only 3 or 4 have actually made a team list.

It us hard to develop a player who has never picked up a footy. Academies can help but the AFL is too tight to develop Academies in International markets.

Deadshot

Draftee
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure if anyone cares but Malthouse tipped us for bottom 4 on ABC radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. That gives me some optimism.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals

There's a reason he's not coaching any more. The blokes lost it.

I could definitely see us missing the 8 this year if things don't go right but bottom 4 is a big stretch

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
There's a reason he's not coaching any more. The blokes lost it.

I could definitely see us missing the 8 this year if things don't go right but bottom 4 is a big stretch
If we do make the bottom four it will be because of the players not having a go, not following the game plan, too lethargic, too inexperienced and we need another captain or two. There is always next season. Quite understandable.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
I thought what he said was very straight forward. The Academies are starting to produce good players. That can only benefit the comp as a whole. Especially us.

He didn't say any thing about international players. That is a whole different story. By the way many of the players who are trying out in the ststes don't makes it at all and those that do often try out two ir three times before they get a go. Of the thousands who have tried out only 3 or 4 have actually made a team list.

It us hard to develop a player who has never picked up a footy. Academies can help but the AFL is too tight to develop Academies in International markets.

We have two premiership players who had never picked up a footy. Its too pleasant here in Mindanao for me to be arsed to try to work out the percentages but the number who succeeded with us from the internationals would be far better percentage than the number who are eligible for an academy and don't make it. As for not enough money that's risible. The AFL is currently tipping many millions down a toilet called Gold Coast Suns.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I reckon they're both wrong.

Jones ahead of Sinclair as most important player to re-sign?

I think for now Sinclair has to be in the 22 - his form in 2018 was great and Naismith is coming back from a long term injury. Naismith will need to force Sinclair out, assuming we don't play both.

He has had some poorly timed injuries in the last couple of seasons that have limited his opportunities. Hopefully he can have an uninterrupted pre-season and stake his claim early in 2019.

It would be handy if Horse played him through the middle where he has dominated in the 2s. He looked good in his few opportunities this year, though arguably playing as a 3rd forward who pinch hits in the ruck did not give him much of an opportunity.

His assets seem to be being happy to get his hands dirty and using the ball well when he gets it. He also plays with a bit of a confidence. I forget the game but can recall him dobbing a long range set shot for goal. It never looked like missing. The only doubts I have are about his pace, but hopefully a good pre-season will sharpen him up.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It would be handy if Horse played him through the middle where he has dominated in the 2s. He looked good in his few opportunities this year, though arguably playing as a 3rd forward who pinch hits in the ruck did not give him much of an opportunity.

His assets seem to be being happy to get his hands dirty and using the ball well when he gets it. He also plays with a bit of a confidence. I forget the game but can recall him dobbing a long range set shot for goal. It never looked like missing. The only doubts I have are about his pace, but hopefully a good pre-season will sharpen him up.

He will get his opportunity in the midfield. Pretty much nobody comes up from NEAFL start into the AFL midfield unit. Hewett, Florent amongst others cut their teeth in other roles first. Even Robinson who dominated midfield at NEAFL level rarely had the opportunity to play big midfield minutes (if at all).

My reservation on Dawson so far is his aggressiveness at the coalface of the contest (individually for an inside role not concerned about his pace, as a midfield unit though may be an issue). From what I’ve seen of him at NEAFL level he kind of cruises into the contested rather than hitting it hard. This is fine at NEAFL level because of the lower pace of the game but it’s going to need to go up several levels as an AFL level midfielder.

Robinson was similar where it was so easy for him at NEAFL level but he couldn’t take his game up the necessary levels to succeed as an AFL midfielder.

Dawson has a lot more tools at his disposal than Robinson did (taller, stronger kick, better goal kicker, better mark etc), so certainly has the attributes to succeed.

He is still learning to be a midfielder given he played his junior footy as a forward and he will be given plenty of opportunity if he can put a strong preseason together.

I would expect early on for him to play an OKeefe style forward role with some midfield minutes potentially replacing Kennedy down the track in the guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back