• Already a member but not rejoining

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Hoping to join

Votes: 36 20.8%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 65 37.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Also have no issue wth the no car drop off thing. It’s about changing peoples habits ala the plastic bag ban.
Disagree with this one. There will always be a need for drop offs.

Example, last year my wife had to bring my kids up for the Scorchers. I was already in Perth for work, and they didn't have enough time after school for Public Transport anyway.

Since there is no drop off point, cars were stopping in traffic (including mine) to let people out. Not safe, or good for traffic.

Side point, allowing Taxis but not Uber is anti-competitive, restricts customers choices.

The way the world is going I reckon most new stadiums being built in Australia would be pretty restrictive on which cars they allow into the facility.

Pedestrian bridge was a flop and I'm no Labor guy but I was glad they ripped up the contract and had it manufactured locally. We should be doing that more.

All my stadium experiences have been excellent and I still feel very lucky and proud to have the facility on our doorstep.

Again, the stadium itself is fantastic, but on who's doorstep exactly? The stadium was built on an empty peninsula with no surrounding businesses or residential property to help with the flow of traffic. They opened a stadium in an empty patch of land and expected 60,000 people to take an overwhelmed public transport network. The bridge delays certainly didn't help, i'm glad it's finally in place. The new apartment buildings will help, as will allowing new businesses to open in the areas surrounding the stadium.

I love going to the footy in Melbourne because you can just walk out of the stadium and hit up a bar, a restaurant, stroll through the park, take public transport, or order an Uber. Leaving the footy at Optus i can walk 20 minutes and give my money to James Packer, or queue for an hour and attempt to get into the overly crowded Camfield. Even if you take the bridge you still have to walk through East Perth for a while before you can find something to do.

!!Warning!! This is where it gets a bit political:

Taxis are allowed in so it's not like they're concerned about cars, just ride shares. It's no secret to anyone inside WA politics that the liberal government built the stadium where it is due to its proximity to Crown, who coincidentally happen to be a big Liberal donor. In similar fashion, it's not exactly coincidental that the only car transportation that the Labor government would allow into the stadium is the only one that is unionised.

This discourages rideshare and drop off, but does it get rid of it completely? Absolutely not, the only difference is now people are being dropped off 50-100 metres down from where the police are issuing $150 fines for rideshare drivers. Instead of just having a lane for rideshare, we instead have people being unsafely dropped off at random locations in a heavy traffic zone.

I know my folks would not have used public transport if these options or simply being dropped off was an option. And they would have never realised how simple the train is.

Although lots still drive to burswood then walk. I can't understand the time and effort people put in to avoiding public transport.

From where I am in City Beach, taking public transport involves driving for 15 minutes to Subiaco, paying for parking in Subiaco, and taking the bus from there. Busses run fairly indirectly from City Beach to Subiaco and leave about once every 30-40 minutes. Alternatively, we can drive directly to the tennis facility and pay $20 for parking. This is more expensive, but in regards to "time and effort" it is definitely far simpler.

Again, the stadium itself is fantastic, but on who's doorstep exactly? The stadium was built on an empty peninsula with no surrounding businesses or residential property to help with the flow of traffic. They opened a stadium in an empty patch of land and expected 60,000 people to take an overwhelmed public transport network. The bridge delays certainly didn't help, i'm glad it's finally in place. The new apartment buildings will help, as will allowing new businesses to open in the areas surrounding the stadium.

I love going to the footy in Melbourne because you can just walk out of the stadium and hit up a bar, a restaurant, stroll through the park, take public transport, or order an Uber. Leaving the footy at Optus i can walk 20 minutes and give my money to James Packer, or queue for an hour and attempt to get into the overly crowded Camfield. Even if you take the bridge you still have to walk through East Perth for a while before you can find something to do.

Taxis are allowed in so it's not like they're concerned about cars, just ride shares. It's no secret to anyone inside WA politics that the liberal government built the stadium where it is due to its proximity to Crown, who coincidentally happen to be a big Liberal donor. In similar fashion, it's not exactly coincidental that the only car transportation that the Labor government would allow into the stadium is the only one that is unionised.

This discourages rideshare and drop off, but does it get rid of it completely? Absolutely not, the only difference is now people are being dropped off 50-100 metres down from where the police are issuing $150 fines for rideshare drivers. Instead of just having a lane for rideshare, we instead have people being unsafely dropped off at random locations in a heavy traffic zone.

From where I am in City Beach, taking public transport involves driving for 15 minutes to Subiaco, paying for parking in Subiaco, and taking the bus from there. Busses run fairly indirectly from City Beach to Subiaco and leave about once every 30-40 minutes. Alternatively, we can drive directly to the tennis facility and pay $20 for parking. This is more expensive, but in regards to "time and effort" it is definitely far simpler.
So businesses that wouldn't have survived the construction phase should already be in place?

Give it time mate. The precinct will be an awesome southbank with the MCG in the middle of it mash up in due course.

Hard not read your post as a "I used to drive/taxi 15 minutes to the footy and now it's harder" whinge.

So businesses that wouldn't have survived the construction phase should already be in place?

Give it time mate. The precinct will be an awesome southbank with the MCG in the middle of it mash up in due course.

Or.... you know.... build the commercial lots before the stadium opens then move businesses in before Round 1? Have everything constructed at the same time? Is this impossible? They clearly did achieved it with the camfield

Hard not read your post as a "I used to drive/taxi 15 minutes to the footy and now it's harder" whinge.

It's not a whinge, i'd much rather take the longer trip to the 1000% better stadium. The point is JohnW claimed people who avoid taking transperth are "putting time and effort into avoiding public transport", but the idea that public transport is a far easier option than driving is ignorant of those who live in suburbs that have truly awful connections to public transport.

it's not that i'm blaming you, it's the fault of the state government for woefully mismanaging and under delivering on transport options

Been away for a few days so apologies for delayed response.

When I say we leave early it is usually 2-3 minutes from end - when the fixture allow us to stay in Perth (Friday night or Saturday day & night games) we stay to the end and wander over to the trains and head off to the mother-in-laws in Joondalup.

We have no complaints about the transport arrangements moving 60K people who predominantly leave at the same time is always going to be a hard ask. If anything we find the bus option easier and most convenient.

PS as a footnote we did the same at Subiaco - parked in Subiaco Dome (same side as our seats) and left 2 minutes early.

Getting ahead of the foot and vehicle traffic does save a shed load of time and when there is a 4.5 hour drive ahead of us on a winters night every minute counts. We often see a convoy of blue and gold heading down the highway, often stopping at the same stops for evening meal, Cant afford to eat at either stadium :)

Disagree with this one. There will always be a need for drop offs.

Example, last year my wife had to bring my kids up for the Scorchers. I was already in Perth for work, and they didn't have enough time after school for Public Transport anyway.

Since there is no drop off point, cars were stopping in traffic (including mine) to let people out. Not safe, or good for traffic.

Side point, allowing Taxis but not Uber is anti-competitive, restricts customers choices.
Really not that hard to drop off in near by locations like the WACA and if you're looking for parking there's places you can pay nearby. To be honest to stop people getting out in traffic they should have cops there fining people. Change the behaviours. I'm sorry but we need to adjust to the new situation.

Really not that hard to drop off in near by locations like the WACA and if you're looking for parking there's places you can pay nearby. To be honest to stop people getting out in traffic they should have cops there fining people. Change the behaviours. I'm sorry but we need to adjust to the new situation.
I catch PH, and I'm all for it - I dont need to change behaviour. People used to driving / parking - sure I agree.

But there is no reason they couldn't have had a drop off point. I'm not talking about more parking, just drop offs that will happen anyway. There will always be a need. Do you think my kids should have been dropped off at the WACA ? Same with elderly or injured people that arent eligble for ACROD ?

Having a No Standing drop off for Ride share / personal vehicles shouldnt be a big deal. It's a tiny % of the crowd. And It doesn't have to be right on the door step.

If they had a drop off point I'd be all for cops issuing fines. But not with the current situation.

Been away for a few days so apologies for delayed response.

When I say we leave early it is usually 2-3 minutes from end - when the fixture allow us to stay in Perth (Friday night or Saturday day & night games) we stay to the end and wander over to the trains and head off to the mother-in-laws in Joondalup.

We have no complaints about the transport arrangements moving 60K people who predominantly leave at the same time is always going to be a hard ask. If anything we find the bus option easier and most convenient.

PS as a footnote we did the same at Subiaco - parked in Subiaco Dome (same side as our seats) and left 2 minutes early.

Getting ahead of the foot and vehicle traffic does save a shed load of time and when there is a 4.5 hour drive ahead of us on a winters night every minute counts. We often see a convoy of blue and gold heading down the highway, often stopping at the same stops for evening meal, Cant afford to eat at either stadium :)
Its 2 minutes, you pay your membership.
You have no case to answer.
I'm a 1st year Cervantes member.
**** the upstart WCE flogs.

My old boy in in south city beach - we drive to cott, park and train it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only needed to be the biggest pub in the southern hemisphere with a monopoly on 50k plus punters to make enough cash on game day to survive the rest of the time.

even just two or three pubs would've made the area a bit more exciting post match, you could even open up the area to more food trucks

there's tons of ways to make the area more exciting and it just feels like they're only just now starting to consider it

People seated next to me live in Kalgoorlie. Always at the bar after half time and on the road before the game ends. Haven’t complained about public transport because there simple isn’t parking near enough to make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone had luck with seat moves?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I went to the club and check the app regularly but there are just no seats free. Could upgrade to Blue and Gold Terrace but it’s in the sun.

Trouble is you can’t flag your seats as potentially available so the only ones that will be available will be people dropping their membership. Not too many of them I would think.

What seats are you after?

I went to the club and check the app regularly but there are just no seats free. Could upgrade to Blue and Gold Terrace but it’s in the sun.

Trouble is you can’t flag your seats as potentially available so the only ones that will be available will be people dropping their membership. Not too many of them I would think.

We currently have a set of 4 plus 1 extra seat a row back / 8 seats east. Hoping to move that 1 seat closer, but not expecting to have much luck.

How much is blue and gold terrace? That gives you guaranteed GF seats, right?

I’m seated there & the sun can be punishing at times. It was particularly warm at the rd 22 melbourne game & with the way the game was panning out, my mate & I stood watching it at the railing on the terrace getting blind instead of sitting in our seats.

Could you drive to leedy or glendalough station? And get the train?

More than once I have got the bus from our building on Cambridge street. Which was really easy. That may work for you? Parking in West Leederville should be easy enough to find for free and the stop I get on is the last stop before the stadium. So was on the buss for all of 10 minutes.

Both I have found really simple.

Back