Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

A bizarre response.

What are you doing here if it isn't to express or read opinions?
Checking for updates on Majaks wellbeing? Finding a bit of comfort inthe vast majority of posts here which demonstrate empathy, care and understanding? Your 'opinion' as to why this happened is worth exactly the same as mine and everyone else who isn't close to him: **** all.

My point was that your post claims to understand things about majak's situation that you simply cannot possibly know. For some people stepping out of the spotlight/ away from their job is necessary. For others those kind of actions could instigate further spiralling into isolation, loneliness and mental illness. We all need to ensure that we allow Majak the time and space to make the correct call for himself.

If he needs to leave the game, he should be able to leave it. If he needs to return to work and is able to physically and mentally he should be able to do that to. The one thing he doesn't need is for the rest of his life to be defined by this one event.

Checking for updates on Majaks wellbeing?

Aren't you being a tad voyeuristic considering the calls for respecting Majaks privacy?

Finding a bit of comfort inthe vast majority of posts here which demonstrate empathy, care and understanding? Your 'opinion' as to why this happened is worth exactly the same as mine and everyone else who isn't close to him: **** all.

Your personal emotional compass is not ultimate truth.

My point was that your post claims to understand things about majak's situation that you simply cannot possibly know.

..........and that you simply cannot dismiss.

For some people stepping out of the spotlight/ away from their job is necessary. For others those kind of actions could instigate further spiralling into isolation, loneliness and mental illness. We all need to ensure that we allow Majak the time and space to make the correct call for himself. If he needs to leave the game, he should be able to leave it. If he needs to return to work and is able to physically and mentally he should be able to do that to. The one thing he doesn't need is for the rest of his life to be defined by this one event.

Didn't you just state "My point was that your post claims to understand things about majak's situation that you simply cannot possibly know" in your previous sentence?

Now that's some audacity right there.

Last edited:

95E207A5-A61A-4A67-9D19-D3BB2ECDECB5.jpeg

I know this is trivial but...

I go down to Arden Street to take photos of the boys whenever I can. It’s something I really enjoy doing and is something that helps clear my head when I have a lot on my mind.

I usually pick out my favourites, edit them and upload them to Instagram (for no one else’s real enjoyment but my own).

Majak always liked the photos I took of him.

It always meant the world to me that he’d like a photo that little old me took and just shows the kind of guy he is.

Just wanted to share.

Last edited:
View attachment 597820

I go down to Arden Street to take photos of the boys whenever I can. It’s something I really enjoy doing and is something that helps clear my head when I have a lot on my mind.

I usually pick out my favourites, edit them and upload them to Instagram (for no one else’s real enjoyment but my own).

It always meant the world to me that he’d like a photo that little old me took and just shows the kind of guy he is.

Just wanted to share.

It's not trivial at all NoWozzas, it's beautiful. You're a very good photographer. What's more, it feels like a celebration of Maj, and lord knows we could use a bit of that. I'm glad he got to see your photos. Pretty sure everyone on here would love to see more of them too, if you feel like posting them sometime.

I'm in Werribee.
Majak himself, and his family are based out here.

A couple of days ago, one of his former teachers posted this:

--
About five years ago, I was walking out of 7/11 in Werribee. I had parked right in front of the door and Majak was walking in.

He said hello, as always, he asked how I was and how the family was doing.

I said to him, “Yeh, all good, there’s my young bloke”, pointing at my car.
He replied, “Ahh Liam!”
I responded, “No, that’s Eamonn.”
The next minute blew me away.

Maj turned to me and said “No way! He can’t be that big, can I say hello?”
“Of course!”
Maj spun on the spot, stuck his big head in the window and put his hand out. Eamonn took his hand and after a few short introductions commented...
“Funny, your hand is the same colour as mine on the inside” while pointing at Majak’s palm.
With the biggest smile Majak said,
“Yes it is! We are more the same than most people think.” Eamonn was wide eyed and enamoured.

They had a little chat, a bit of a giggle and Majak popped back up.
Turning to me he said,
“You have a pretty smart kid there Mr O’Mahoney, Sean, you know, Sir”

It was to this day, my favourite moment of kid/man/dad/student/adult/friend. I learnt more in that one little moment than I can describe.

Your impact, influence and immediacy is profound.

Love you Maj. Heal well.
--

Lovely sentiments.

The other issue is that people’s well-meaning platitudes can actually do more harm despite it not being their intention at all. Someone who has never been suicidal might say to a depressed person “You have so much to live for, think of your family”. The depressed person doesn’t think that ending their own life will negatively impact upon others - your state of mind becomes, everyone will be better off when I’m gone because they won’t have to deal with me. Reminding a person of their family, successes etc can actually backfire.
My understanding is that, at least for many people, you get to the point where you believe that people close to you would be better off if you were dead. As you can imagine, this isn't a good place to be.

My understanding is that, at least for many people, you get to the point where you believe that people close to you would be better off if you were dead. As you can imagine, this isn't a good place to be.

That’s precisely how it felt for me. Like yes, they’ll be upset at first but it’s better than being a burden on them forever. You also have a lot of negative self talk that affects your perception of relationships. With depression it’s easy to convince yourself that your loved ones actually can’t stand you.

That’s precisely how it felt for me. Like yes, they’ll be upset at first but it’s better than being a burden on them forever. You also have a lot of negative self talk that affects your perception of relationships. With depression it’s easy to convince yourself that your loved ones actually can’t stand you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying he wasn't normal?

He didn't have a "normal Australian life" if that's what you mean. That's obvious. Growing up in a refugee camp in Africa is not the same as growing up in the suburbs.

That's without asking how many AFL players are "normal".

Not many if any.

Kind of by definition. Not only do you need really high levels of athleticism, physical coordination/skill and physical courage. You need to be driven to succeed beyond most "normal" people.

(Who wants to be *en normal anyway?)

I just read your other comment Tef.

I've got no idea what goes on in Maj's head.

But one thing that struck me years ago was that if you grew up in a refugee camp, saw war zones and the like then ended up in Melbourne with the importance people attach to a game....

That would be a head * in itself.

You (ie the hypothetical refugee I'm thinking about) know there are people in other parts of the world living lives that are so hard and intense and no one here could give a * because football is more important than life and they have no actual idea what the rest of the world is like.

I imagine if you had some actual perspective, a good heart/some compassion and half a brain or more then ended up in an AFL bubble with Maj's path or one kind of similar - it would be a very hard thing to deal with.

Last edited:
Mental illness is a campaigner. Some people have it their whole lives, some wake up with it one day and it stays with them, others experience a traumatic experience, some have many traumatic experiences, some have great lives with no trauma, basically any human living their life can have that switch is flicked and that persons way of thinking has changed forever.

Just like everyone’s symptoms or triggers are different, so is the help they need to feel better.

No one knows what Maj is feeling and no one knows what he needs to do to be ok with himself.

Mental illness is a campaigner. Some people have it their whole lives, some wake up with it one day and it stays with them, others experience a traumatic experience, some have many traumatic experiences, some have great lives with no trauma, basically any human living their life can have that switch is flicked and that persons way of thinking has changed forever.

Just like everyone’s symptoms or triggers are different, so is the help they need to feel better.

No one knows what Maj is feeling and no one knows what he needs to do to be ok with himself.

That's my point.

I'm not even comfortable with people calling his actions the result of "mental illness". As if that explains something.

I've known kids that have grown up on a mish and then ended up with a chance to play professional football. And it was a head * for them. A massive culture shock. (The AFL is even more full on than NRL too.) Some had bad endings. Not all of them, you wouldn't necessarily say it was mental illness either and I'm not necessarily talking about suicide or whatever. You just don't know what drives people.

Have you, Val or any of you, ever lost it (in any number of ways) and done some really stupid or ****ed up stuff? Then afterwards when you try to sort your self out and examine your own behaviour, realised how little you understood about what was driving you. How little you understood yourself. (Or even had the same experience with really courageous things you didn't think you were capable of.)

Let alone trying to explain someone else's behaviour.

That's my point.

I'm not even comfortable with people calling his actions the result of "mental illness". As if that explains something.

Very good point.

I've known kids that have grown up on a mish and then ended up with a chance to play professional football. And it was a head **** for them. A massive culture shock. (The AFL is even more full on than NRL too.) Some had bad endings. Not all of them, you wouldn't necessarily say it was mental illness either and I'm not necessarily talking about suicide or whatever. You just don't know what drives people.

Have you, Val or any of you, ever lost it (in any number of ways) and done some really stupid or ****** up stuff? Then afterwards when you try to sort your self out and examine your own behaviour, realised how little you understood about what was driving you. How little you understood yourself. (Or even had the same experience with really courageous things you didn't think you were capable of.)

Let alone trying to explain someone else's behaviour.

Yeah I have lost it and I still don’t understand why. I still don’t fully understand my own feelings. I can’t even begin to imagine what Maj was feeling. Who knows what he needs to go through to start mending himself. He’s got a long road ahead of him and I have nothing but love for the big fella. I just hope he can get through it and maybe one day find himself in a good place.

Yeah I have lost it and I still don’t understand why. I still don’t fully understand my own feelings.

yeah same. I keep telling myself its trying to work s**t out that matters and to keep on trying.

I can’t even begin to imagine what Maj was feeling. Who knows what he needs to go through to start mending himself. He’s got a long road ahead of him and I have nothing but love for the big fella. I just hope he can get through it and maybe one day find himself in a good place.

Same here.

We're all thinking of you Maj.

View attachment 597820

Just wanted to share.
The amount of likes proves it’s far from trivial. Thanks for sharing, and great photo btw.

Whats your insta handle so I can see more photos?

View attachment 597820

Just wanted to share.

Whats your insta Wozza? I might do an illustration of Maj just cos I feel like it, I don't draw enough footy related stuff cos it usually comes out pretty good.

If you don't mind I might use one of your photos as reference or inspiration cos I really like 'em.

Whats your insta Wozza? I might do an illustration of Maj just cos I feel like it, I don't draw enough footy related stuff cos it usually comes out pretty good.

If you don't mind I might use one of your photos as reference or inspiration cos I really like 'em.
Post the finished work when you get around to doing it. I’m sure many would like to see it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back