News 2018 General AFL Discussion

Hey guys, any of you look at Kayo (www.kayo.com.au)? It says it's $25, for fifty sports, including AFL, cricket, NRL, NFL, NBA, MLB, Formula 1. Looks alright!

It's Foxtel trying to Netflix sports but I reckon they missed the boat with pricing. If they weren't so greedy they would do better. Netflix and Stan at a least kept the price so low it's encouraging people to join. $25 is cheaper than the $40 or what ever FT is but if they had made it $15 they would have had a huge uptake.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's Foxtel trying to Netflix sports but I reckon they missed the boat with pricing. If they weren't so greedy they would do better. Netflix and Stan at a least kept the price so low it's encouraging people to join. $25 is cheaper than the $40 or what ever FT is but if they had made it $15 they would have had a huge uptake.

I'll probably pay the $25 but only for footy season.

Yep, I wouldn't even think at $15.

I have a Bet365 account that I only use for the live sports: you put down $10, and then you get NBA, NHL, MLB all year live. Very, very occasionally, they've demanded I make a bet, but then I just chuck 50c down on a $1.01 odds bet somewhere, to shut them up. If Bet365 had NFL, NCAAF (College Football), and AFL, I'd be set, all for $10 essentially (not $10/month - $10 EVER).

Sheeza69

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
So today I got a long email from my brother who has been living in Gundagai for the last few years, explaining how during that time and probably for about a year before he had been on the poker machines. A rough estimate of how much he lost in this time is around eighty thousand dollars. Spent many Saturdays travelling to Wagga or Tumut just to gamble. He basically spent a lot of what he could afford on the pokies. Also spent a fair bit of money on lottery tickets.

His partner only found out about this on Saturday and is very upset as she thought he would be saving money for their future together, and they are likely to break up.

He's already begun to get help, seeing a gambling counselor. He doesn't see himself as a victim, hes taken ownership of his addiction problem (addicted to cigarettes too) just feels foolish and guilty.

I know this is no one's fault and he has an addiction problem and just taking poker machines away won't solve those problems, but today I read this article about Collingwood getting rid of all their (overt) gambling connections and i make absolutely no bones that I yearn with all my heart for a day when our club stops profiting from human weakness in this way.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-11/bombers-win-pokies-extension-as-magpies-bow-out

The Pies are a rich club, and one of the reasons they've got rich is from their use of Poker Machines so I'm not idealistic to imagine they're better than us, but I sure as hell celebrate another club cutting their ties with this shameful activity.

I urge anyone with similar problems to recognise that addiction is difficult to tackle alone, and that talking to others and allowing them to hear your story and possibly help doesn't make you vulnerable, you are strong to look yourself in the mirror and address your weaknesses.

I'm proud of my brother for doing something about his problem and hope anyone with problems like this can find the strength to do the same.
Austinn your support of your brother is commendable. Part of breaking any addiction is for the addict to knowing he/she has real support from another human being! Each year 100's of Aussies take their lives strictly due to gambling, but the silence from mainstream media is deafening.. I've literally battled 5 addictions over the last 35 years. Your brother having a close family/friend who doesn't judge him enables him to go public with his issue.. Keep in mind addiction is simply masking a pain.. I wish him well on his journey to recovery!!

This video might help both of you with a better understanding of addiction..
It's a 7 min message from the world's leading Doctor on addiction..(He's also a recovering addict)
People don't choose to become an addict, let's get that straight!!

The Hungry Ghost Inside Us

Last edited:

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Austinn your support of your brother is commendable. Part of breaking any addiction is for the addict to knowing he/she has real support from another human being! Each year 100's of Aussies take their lives strictly due to gambling, but the silence from mainstream media is deafening.. I've literally battled 5 addictions over the last 35 years. You brother having a close family/friend who doesn't judge him enables him to go public with his issue.. Keep in mind addiction is simply masking a pain.. I wish him well on his journey to recovery!!

It's a 7 min message from the world's leading Doctor on addiction..(He's also a recovering addict)

That is one of the best explanations of the causes of addiction I've ever heard. It should be complusory viewing for the loved ones and treating professionals of anyone struggling with addiction.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Austinn your support of your brother is commendable. Part of breaking any addiction is for the addict to knowing he/she has real support from another human being! Each year 100's of Aussies take their lives strictly due to gambling, but the silence from mainstream media is deafening.. I've literally battled 5 addictions over the last 35 years. You brother having a close family/friend who doesn't judge him enables him to go public with his issue.. Keep in mind addiction is simply masking a pain.. I wish him well on his journey to recovery!!

This was very profound and found it quite moving!
Nice to see the whole mess explained with some real honesty and humanity!

I Know speaking for myself what a difficult road it can be to try to
Understand what makes us do the things we do!
You can have all the education and knowledge in the world about the
Pitfalls of this behaviour but ultimately it makes a lick of difference
When the Black moon comes calling!

The Hungry Ghost inside us is as bout as accurate a portrayal of what
We the disaffected go through daily!
So true about the correlation between this behaviour and the inevitable shame that
Comes with it, to the Isolation so many struggle with!

Like the sentiment of getting in touch with our inner selves and also to reach out
To humanity and loved ones who care. We are social beings ultimately and without
The benefit of a network of friends and family it is so damn easy to slip into
A reclusive antisocial woe is me state of mind!

A big thank you Sheeza69 for posting! :thumbsu:

Back