Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Zac Fisher will be top 5 of this draft class come the end of this season. Absolute belter of a pick who really just seems to get better after every game.

We have good luck picking up WA lads from the draft in recent years (just need SPS to develop more consistency and toughness to his game)

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Its quite sad how far Powell-Pepper has fallen, he wouldn't come close to making the top 20, let alone 10, of this class right now.

Him acting like a disrespectful nugget off-field probably contributed to his downfall ij form.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Zac Fisher will be top 5 of this draft class come the end of this season. Absolute belter of a pick who really just seems to get better after every game.

We have good luck picking up WA lads from the draft in recent years (just need SPS to develop more consistency and toughness to his game)
Think size is going to limit Fisher a bit though. 175cm is quite short by midfielder standards and he's not particularly stocky either which puts him at a disadvantage against other mids. Very skillful but may have trouble going to the next level, similar to Caleb Daniel where he'll look unbelievable at stages but once other players decided to keep him in check he struggles.
Its quite sad how far Powell-Pepper has fallen, he wouldn't come close to making the top 20, let alone 10, of this class right now.

Him acting like a disrespectful nugget off-field probably contributed to his downfall ij form.
Powell-Pepper is still clearly in the top 10 of this draft. His off field behavior doesn't, or shouldn't effect his on field ranking.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think size is going to limit Fisher a bit though. 175cm is quite short by midfielder standards and he's not particularly stocky either which puts him at a disadvantage against other mids. Very skillful but may have trouble going to the next level, similar to Caleb Daniel where he'll look unbelievable at stages but once other players decided to keep him in check he struggles.

Powell-Pepper is still clearly in the top 10 of this draft. His off field behavior doesn't, or shouldn't effect his on field ranking.
Nope. Plenty ahead of him. He was good in his first year but since then he has been overtaken by many of his draft class.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2016 is shaping up as a super draft. Lions alone nabbed Clug Berry Witherden and Cox in the top 22. And a solid number 1 pick with McGrath

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon SPP is one of those players that reach their peak very early in their career and then plateau. He had a better first year than most of this draft because he was a man-child and ready to go. Reckon there are a fair few players in this draft that have a much higher ceiling.

Another Rhys Palmer perhaps ??

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
G Logue - bit of a forgotten man due to missing all last year but
primed to show something this year , scary physical
specimen for his age

B Cox - Best hands at the club IMO , no slouch when it hits the ground
either knocks on his kicking but his field kicking is OK just has
an awkward looking set shot

S Darcy - Starting to lose the puppy fat , plenty of agro for a young
guy centre bounces not his strong suit but very hard to
move at throw ins and has a definite presence around the
stoppage

L Ryan - Already a mainstay of our defence , cool under the pump and
good hands and damaging long kick

T Duman - Wouldn't be on many non Freo fans radar at this stage but
he will surprise a few this year , excellent user of the ball
and reminds me of another ex docker Dylan Roberton

Fully understand there were some excellent players taken in the 16 draft but I don't think it's going overboard to say it's the best crop of picks we have ever had*

* yes yes not exactly too much to beat

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

I reckon Fisher gets to Devon Smith type levels. He's a very good player.

RoversFC

Senior List
Jun 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
G Logue - bit of a forgotten man due to missing all last year but
primed to show something this year , scary physical
specimen for his age

B Cox - Best hands at the club IMO , no slouch when it hits the ground
either knocks on his kicking but his field kicking is OK just has
an awkward looking set shot

S Darcy - Starting to lose the puppy fat , plenty of agro for a young
guy centre bounces not his strong suit but very hard to
move at throw ins and has a definite presence around the
stoppage

L Ryan - Already a mainstay of our defence , cool under the pump and
good hands and damaging long kick

T Duman - Wouldn't be on many non Freo fans radar at this stage but
he will surprise a few this year , excellent user of the ball
and reminds me of another ex docker Dylan Roberton

Fully understand there were some excellent players taken in the 16 draft but I don't think it's going overboard to say it's the best crop of picks we have ever had*

* yes yes not exactly too much to beat

Keep reading a lot on Logue. While I agree he is an atheltic alien, his football ability still has some ways to go (though understandable for someone of his experience level). Looked pretty timid in his first year as well (though being a 3rd tall, sometimes second for most of your time in your first year is hard to do, especially as a skinny bloke). I honestly think he doesn’t make your 22 consistently for at least the next couple years. All athletic ability but not the smartest brain. Reminds me of Simon Tunbridge who we had on our list for about 4 years prior to delisting him because of injuries. Athletically all there (even better than Jaegar in almost everything but sprinting when they were coming out of Geraldton) but not footy smart.

Your other 4 picks are fantastic though. Cox has some sexy hands, really jealous that Eagles don’t have one of him. Darcy obviously a mini Mumford. Luke Ryan even before his great year last year was showing he was gonna be a 150+ game player. I freaking love Duman as well, think he’s gonna be a very good player.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keep reading a lot on Logue. While I agree he is an atheltic alien, his football ability still has some ways to go (though understandable for someone of his experience level). Looked pretty timid in his first year as well (though being a 3rd tall, sometimes second for most of your time in your first year is hard to do, especially as a skinny bloke). I honestly think he doesn’t make your 22 consistently for at least the next couple years. All athletic ability but not the smartest brain. Reminds me of Simon Tunbridge who we had on our list for about 4 years prior to delisting him because of injuries. Athletically all there (even better than Jaegar in almost everything but sprinting when they were coming out of Geraldton) but not footy smart.

Your other 4 picks are fantastic though. Cox has some sexy hands, really jealous that Eagles don’t have one of him. Darcy obviously a mini Mumford. Luke Ryan even before his great year last year was showing he was gonna be a 150+ game player. I freaking love Duman as well, think he’s gonna be a very good player.

Your concerns about Logue are the same ones most Freo fans have does he have the footy IQ to make it
Hopefully he can be more of a Trent Croad than a Tunbridge where even though his footy smarts are a weakness he can overcome that with his athletic gifts. He's looked a lot more comfortable in match sims this year by all reports so that's a positive sign but there is definitely some bust potential with him

Back