Prediction Proposed Pies Rd 1 team, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had to google that one!
For players at home

E349A09F-499B-40BC-87FD-4E86FF9EFAEC.jpeg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's quite a difficult task to put a team together, there will be some worthy players in the VFL.

For me to put a team together first I looked at which players are locked into the 22 and then looked at the rest of the team. The locks, for me are:

B: Langdon - X - Howe
HB: Crisp - X - Maynard
C: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Phillips
HF: Stephenson - Cox - Beams
F: WHE - De Goey - X
R: Grundy - Treloar - Adams

(Understand there's been some debate over Phillips' spot in the best 22, he's easily there for mine. 6th in the B&F for a reason.)

Based on the above, the most amount of uncertainty is around the key defensive spots, surprise surprise.

Filling the blanks..

B: Langdon - Dunn - Howe
HB: Crisp - Moore - Maynard
F: WHE - De Goey - Mihocek
I: Sier - Varcoe - Thomas - Aish
E: Mayne - Roughead - Quaynor - Greenwood

I'd love to slot Elliott into the fwd pocket spot but not convinced just yet, the next few months are going to be very important for his career. He really deserves a good run at it. Similar boat with Wells, just has to prove for me that he can stay fit before he's in my team. Hope so.

Gone for a Dunn/Moore combo provided both are fit of course, but we have options. Mihocek is in my team and plays the defensive tall fwd position.

On the bench I've opted for four guys who played in the GF, I know Aish might make way in a few sides and understand why but am banking on more improvement and like his versatility.

Sier will be a star and is far too good for VFL, so he has to be picked.

Mayne & Greenwood are unlucky to miss out but someone has to. Unsure where Roughead fits yet but at the very least he's a very handy emergency. Noises are being made about Quaynor being ready early on, so he's my other emergency.

Grapie

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Excellent analysis robertg22. As you imply, the selectors may be facing a choice between Mayne, Quaynor, and Aish for the last slot.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
robertg22 your analysis of locking in best 22 is the smart way to go.
And you’re probably right in your locks.

Good way to go.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
My current pick:

B: Jack Crisp - Jordan Roughead - Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe - Darcy Moore - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Dayne Beams - Steele Sidebottom
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Mason Cox - Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Josh Thomas - Jordan De Goey - Travis Varcoe

I: Chris Mayne - Tom Phillips - Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek

I reckon Dunn will need match fitness in the seconds before being plonked back into the seniors, so Roughead takes full-back as a result for the first game or two.

Chris Mayne gets the last midfield rotation gig. Brayden Sier as good as he is, starts the season in the VFL in an attempt to boost confidence and consistency, so that he can run out games stronger as the season progresses.

Any injury to a medium or small defender before the season will see Isaac Quaynor make his debut on the big stage in front of 80k at the MCG.

My current pick:

B: Jack Crisp - Jordan Roughead - Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe - Darcy Moore - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Dayne Beams - Steele Sidebottom
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Taylor Adams
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Mason Cox - Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Josh Thomas - Jordan De Goey - Travis Varcoe

I: Chris Mayne - Tom Phillips - Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek

I reckon Dunn will need match fitness in the seconds before being plonked back into the seniors, so Roughead takes full-back as a result for the first game or two.

Chris Mayne gets the last midfield rotation gig. Brayden Sier as good as he is, starts the season in the VFL in an attempt to boost confidence and consistency, so that he can run out games stronger as the season progresses.

Any injury to a medium or small defender before the season will see Isaac Quaynor make his debut on the big stage in front of 80k at the MCG.
Prepare for Saintly Viewed to come for you! I’d have Elliott starting in the VFL to get back match fitness and Sier in with some juggling of positions but that’s the only change I would make to your team.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
My current pick:
Brayden Sier as good as he is, starts the season in the VFL in an attempt to boost confidence and consistency, so that he can run out games stronger as the season progresses.
Ahem.

Mr Sier will be starting in the 22, nothing surer.

Big bodied, hard, terrific vision...

He’s in.

It’s Xmas so you’re let off with a warning :warning:

:)

It's quite a difficult task to put a team together, there will be some worthy players in the VFL.

For me to put a team together first I looked at which players are locked into the 22 and then looked at the rest of the team. The locks, for me are:

B: Langdon - X - Howe
HB: Crisp - X - Maynard
F: WHE - De Goey - X

(Understand there's been some debate over Phillips' spot in the best 22, he's easily there for mine. 6th in the B&F for a reason.)

Based on the above, the most amount of uncertainty is around the key defensive spots, surprise surprise.

Filling the blanks..

B: Langdon - Dunn - Howe
HB: Crisp - Moore - Maynard
F: WHE - De Goey - Mihocek
I: Sier - Varcoe - Thomas - Aish
E: Mayne - Roughead - Quaynor - Greenwood

I'd love to slot Elliott into the fwd pocket spot but not convinced just yet, the next few months are going to be very important for his career. He really deserves a good run at it. Similar boat with Wells, just has to prove for me that he can stay fit before he's in my team. Hope so.

Gone for a Dunn/Moore combo provided both are fit of course, but we have options. Mihocek is in my team and plays the defensive tall fwd position.

On the bench I've opted for four guys who played in the GF, I know Aish might make way in a few sides and understand why but am banking on more improvement and like his versatility.

Sier will be a star and is far too good for VFL, so he has to be picked.

Mayne & Greenwood are unlucky to miss out but someone has to. Unsure where Roughead fits yet but at the very least he's a very handy emergency. Noises are being made about Quaynor being ready early on, so he's my other emergency.
Sier is a definite starter , Philips has faded in the 2nd term of the year and one can make a case for either Philips or Mayne at this stage.
Said it before but going in with Dunn,Moore & Elliott at the same time is too much of an injury risk.
Moore and Elliott have run out of excuses imho. Either they are fit and play or won't play ever again ( or perhaps VFL ).
I would put Dunn up as reserve. Wonderful clubman but in his last year and coming of an injury. Save him for the later part of the season . We start with Murphy / Quaynor and we sort out the dilemma with Dunn ( and Scharenberg !) later on.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
This team is based on the idea that they're all fit. So no chance of dropping Wells, though admittedly, I can't imagine him being fit -- but fingers crossed.

Phillips is a good runner, but his disposal is just too suspect I reckon.

My biggest query is the lack of a small running defender. Maybe Varcoe will play down there.

So I'm pretty much in agreement with the team.

Assuming there's some injuries, it's bring in like-for-like.

Quaynor might come in as a small running defender.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I doubt it. But possible.

Merry Christmas all.

The interview with Tom Phillips about Quaynor notes his professionalism already, his build, his endurance. Having seen him perform well in match simulation at training and with his neat kicking, I think Quaynor will be right in the mix for round 1.

By contrast, Aish is still relatively limited in his preparation, largely running laps and no contested work (like Howe).

Crisp is even further behind in his preparation than Daniel Wells, who is now running laps on the ground. Crisp isn't even getting onto the ground at present, placing him at the back of the preparedness queue from what I can tell. Quaynor may be a shot for Crisp's running half back role accordingly - along with Murphy, Appleby et alia.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I certainly wouldn't mind giving Quaynor a go over Aish

For mine the places up for grab are aish, greenwood and goldy from the GF. Our three weakest performers and not playing their natural roles.

Quaynor would be a great chance to get in over aish

I love the competition for spots we will have

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bear not going anywhere

Fixed in 22.

Also good in cold weather.

79A98325-B89D-4976-9B6A-3B036130441D.gif

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bear not going anywhere

Fixed in 22.

Also good in cold weather.

View attachment 598983

Haha love it.

There’s no way the club traded in beams with the thinking to not keep sier in the 22.

Beams will most likely rotate through midfield to forward.

Sier was just getting warmed up in 2018. I can’t wait to see him in 2019. We definitely don’t want to risk losing him being poached for more minutes and money at another club. So he will play round 1 for sure

Will be selection headaches. There’s something about this squad that is going to surprise a lot of other teams. I feel like it has a 2010 and 2011 feel to it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haha love it.

There’s no way the club traded in beams with the thinking to not keep sier in the 22.

Beams will most likely rotate through midfield to forward.

Sier was just getting warmed up in 2018. I can’t wait to see him in 2019. We definitely don’t want to risk losing him being poached for more minutes and money at another club. So he will play round 1 for sure

Will be selection headaches. There’s something about this squad that is going to surprise a lot of other teams. I feel like it has a 2010 and 2011 feel to it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well said.

We certainly have high end strong depth stock. I struggle to recall so much good value depth in a squad.

Ofcourse the better talent will push out the lesser talent (who would still be valuable depth. Eg Goldsack. Very very handy but can see others ahead).

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think everybody knows that I'm a wrap for Sier; he's great around the contest with his strength and vision, but I'd like to see him get out in the open a bit more. Maybe that will come. He is not a certain 22 yet in my book.
Elliott and Dunn playing R1? I'd very much doubt it. Elliott has a long way to go. He'll start in the VFL team surely.....if he's playing at all.
Dunn will be back early in the season from what I read, but I'd be going carefully with him.
Phillips is definitely in our best 22. Almost our hardest worker, played every game. A lock.
James Aish was fantastic until he got injured. Lots of upside still. Mayne and Aish to battle for a spot. Murphy will move into the team this year. Half back or maybe wing?
Thomas played every game, kicked 38 goals, but........there are some doubts for mine. Reckon Beamsy takes his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back