The end of 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I've mentioned it a few times but I think the club has no intention on retaining Ellis given he's a RFA and will net us a 1st round pick - which we wouldn't get on the open market.

Smart list management if that's what we can get.
We should trade it too Carlton for 2020 1st rnd.

Seems fairly normal to me. We've got a lot of our depth coming up next year. The young guys will resign, except if many $ are thrown their way. The older guys are after premierships. So if we win again they'll take $ if they are offered, or want another title under their belt. We have to lose a few next year, as every year. The guys that are on the edge will get 1 or 2 year contracts. So you'll always have about 1/3+ of the list coming up every year. This is just a few more than you'd expect every year.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Most of the players, I would presume, would probably accept the same pay level.
However, we need to create salary space, in case, select players are offered pay rises.
Premiership players do attract a premium.
We need a cool appraisal of the list to sort the wheat from the chaff, that is all.

Twenty-one players out of 44 is a lot of players out of contract in one year.
We would be naive to think opposition teams would not try to undermine us by offering lucrative salaries to the very best.
The players I did not mention in the middle band are the ones I personally believe could be let go if push comes to shove.
View attachment 588474
If its norf offering the big money, I wouldn't be too worried

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I've mentioned it a few times but I think the club has no intention on retaining Ellis given he's a RFA and will net us a 1st round pick - which we wouldn't get on the open market.

No chance we will get a 1st round compo for Brandon Ellis

The most he would get offered is $650k x 4 years and that would be a compo pick after our 2nd rounder so probably #35-#40

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
However, we need to create salary space, in case, select players are offered pay rises.
We need a cool appraisal of the list to sort the wheat from the chaff, that is all.
So who are the chaff in your opinion

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I do not like to write players off but the football department and list management will have to make key decisions to keep the list agile and salaries flexible.
I always thought Grigg could retire at the end of 2019 and Houli the following year.
Houli was a champion on Grand Final day, when it counts, and would deserve an extra year.
The loss of two veterans in one year might be too drastic.
It is a modest start to creating salary leeway.
Most of the players would probably accept the same salary for the sake of team unity.
Vlaustin is the top priority to retain.

Twenty-one regular players are out of contract at the end of 2019.
It is a large number, by anyone's standard. It is a concern.
Rival clubs would be insane not to try and recruit some of our better players by offering lucrative contracts to undermine us.
Here is a list of the players I think must be retained at all costs for 2020.
Vlaustin, Ellis, Butler, Castagna, Edwards, Astbury, Rioli, Lambert, McIntosh, Broad, Balta, Soldo, Moore.
Best wishes.

21 is nothing to worry about

most player contracts are 2-3 years long, which means most years you will get 15-22 players coming out of contract

only idiots like Port tie a huge chunk of their list to 4+ year contracts

I reckon it's the opposite. Players sacrifice money for flags.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Depends on the individual.
Most of our leaders took salary cuts, which is great.
Depends on how conniving an opposition team is to offer a major salary to a secondary player.
We have to be realistic that is all.
It looks like the team has a great collective spirit and ethos which would not be undermined.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I reckon it's the opposite. Players sacrifice money for flags.
It's what they all play for and some would be willing to take a shave in pay to help the team achieve that!
Only have to read about the cats, hawks players from their Premiership years...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't necessarily want to see Brando go, but I think he goes to norf for our 1st round compo...

P.S Unless he works his buns orf and has a strong season...

Last edited:

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't necessarily want to see Brando go, but I think he goes to norf for our 1st round compo...

P.S Unless he works his buns orf and has a strong season...

Jeez it’s good having a strong list ! I find myself agreeing , then disagreeing and having an absolute stroke (steady on ) about the thought of Houli or Oleg or the Butler even B Ellis not being Tigers !! But we have to give a serious crack to Shai Bolton and even Sydney Stack . Then I have another stroke thinking I’d Daniel Rioli progressing to elite in 2019.

Gosh I remember stressed when Justin Pickering and Tim Powell were traded !!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baker, KMc, Ross, Soldo and Weller have grasped the opportunity.
Balta, CCJ, RCD impressive too, but require further development.
Grigg is out 4-8 weeks.
Any further injuries would be a concern.
They could re-sign Edwards on a one-year contract, not two.
Bolton, Chol, Markov, Menadue, Moore, look confined to VFL at this stage.

Jeez, we're at the point where we're gunna lose a player who goes on to be good at another club. Better-than-Matty-White good!

Actually, might have already happened with Lloyd looking like winning the Dogs goal kicking and Miles a decent chance of a B&F at the Goldies.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
At the end of the season, two best 22 players and one fringe player will leave. Richmond will then sign a GWS player. Take it to the bank.

At the end of the season, two best 22 players and one fringe player will leave. Richmond will then sign a GWS player. Take it to the bank.

Butler, Broad and Menadue out and Kelly in? - like it already:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back