Crows Chat That 'Doesnt Deserve Its Own Thread' Thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

Yet there are still people who want to get rid of the hill, scoreboard and Morton Bay fig trees at Adelaide Oval and build stands the whole way round

But how is the MCG any different to Optus?

Adelaide Oval is unique and the best stadium in Australia - accessible to get to an$ atmosphere of $50k is equal to the G with 100k.

Last edited:

I am very pro marriage equality and anti-religion but the keeping it light discussion that I saw was pretty good. It was an anti and a pro and was a good discussion between the 2 proponents. Both were respectful and had their opportunity to express their reasons. I’d have hoped that it showed the RWNJs that there’s a respectful and meaningful way of expressing their views. The only way that you could think anything poor of that discussion would be if you are intolerant of the opposing view. Which rabid and unthinking lefties often are.
Maybe.

Coopers are longtime sponsors of the Liberal Party and the Bible Society, and that video was a Bible Society stunt and a way to normalise anti Marriage Equality sentiment.

How you feel about any of those things are an individual's choice, as is where they spend their money.

"Let's make one thing clear, though: the video wasn't part of a respectful debate. It was a publicity stunt for the Bible Society and an ad for Coopers.

"That Tim Wilson, conservative Liberal Party backbencher for Goldstein, can find common ground with Andrew Hastie, conservative Liberal backbencher for Canning, isn't exactly a heartwarming triumph of genteel good manners, clear argument and basic respect (not least because Hastie's argument, that marriage somehow pre-dates the existence of politics, is straight-up incorrect). It's two ambitious politicians from the political party that Coopers supports taking advantage of some free airtime."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ed-their-own-pr-disaster-20170313-guwrww.html

They are both concrete stadium in my view - size is irrelevant.
Well, there's atmosphere at the MCG but there's not at the Gabba

There is at the SCG but if they got rid of those old stands with the green roofs then it would diminish the feel of that ground too

Grounds need to have something that sets them apart and makes them 'them'

Maybe.

Coopers are longtime sponsors of the Liberal Party and the Bible Society, and that video was a Bible Society stunt and a way to normalise anti Marriage Equality sentiment.

How you feel about any of those things are an individual's choice, as is where they spend their money.

"Let's make one thing clear, though: the video wasn't part of a respectful debate. It was a publicity stunt for the Bible Society and an ad for Coopers.

"That Tim Wilson, conservative Liberal Party backbencher for Goldstein, can find common ground with Andrew Hastie, conservative Liberal backbencher for Canning, isn't exactly a heartwarming triumph of genteel good manners, clear argument and basic respect (not least because Hastie's argument, that marriage somehow pre-dates the existence of politics, is straight-up incorrect). It's two ambitious politicians from the political party that Coopers supports taking advantage of some free airtime."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ed-their-own-pr-disaster-20170313-guwrww.html

So your problem is that the person putting forward the pro view wasn't a lefty? That's pretty pathetic.

So your problem is that the person putting forward the pro view wasn't a lefty? That's pretty pathetic.

Not really when he is a member of a party who was against marriage equality so he has to keep his arguments to ones that don't make his party look bad for being against it.

Surely it’s misleading people (clearly) if they are both from the same party? It’s not respectful discussion, it’s an attempt - yet again - to manipulate people.

Not really when he is a member of a party who was against marriage equality so he has to keep his arguments to ones that don't make his party look bad for being against it.

How’s that work. Labor were in for years prior and I don’t recall a vote on the matter. Coalition made it happen, this is unarguable. Labor did jack s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it’s misleading people (clearly) if they are both from the same party? It’s not respectful discussion, it’s an attempt - yet again - to manipulate people.

2 people discussing the merits of their opposing views? How’s that manipulating people. Do you seriously believe that the liberal party policy was against marriage equality. I really don’t recall the other party doing anything at all about it whilst in power for 2 terms.

2 people discussing the merits of their opposing views? How’s that manipulating people. Do you seriously believe that the liberal party policy was against marriage equality. I really don’t recall the other party doing anything at all about it whilst in power for 2 terms.
Both parties are equally as bad as the other so don’t make this about one or the other. The coalition members had to vote on party lines and yes, it was very much a part of their policy. So much so John Howard changed the marriage Act in 2009 (without a public referendum) so that it actually read that marriage was between a man and a woman (which it hadn’t previously espoused). The only reason the “other” viewpoint got any airplay, was to legitimise the opposing view, which, when heard on its own sounds like the discriminating garbage it actually was.

How’s that work. Labor were in for years prior and I don’t recall a vote on the matter. Coalition made it happen, this is unarguable. Labor did jack s**t.

There are more than 2 parties, the Democrats tried in 2004 to get it to happen, the greens in 2009. The Labour party in 2015 made it so their MPs were bound by party policy to support marriage equality.

The country got it done, despite the liberal party who handled it in the worst possible way by not being willing to do their job and vote on it and opted for the plebiscite.

There is at the SCG but if they got rid of those old stands with the green roofs then it would diminish the feel of that ground too

I actually quite like the Gabba, the way it protrudes out over Stanley and Vulture streets is interesting. As if they didn’t consider ever having grand stands when the location was selected.

The Gabba with a big crowd was great in the early 2000s, the atmosphere was electric in some of the finals they hosted, even the one we lost. It's lost a bit of the atmosphere lately by only serving mid-strength beer though.

I actually quite like the Gabba, the way it protrudes out over Stanley and Vulture streets is interesting. As if they didn’t consider ever having grand stands when the location was selected.

I don’t think they ever envisaged having the ground converted into a stadium when they first settled on the ground. Don’t forget back in the day there was also a greyhound track at the ground too!

I don’t think they ever envisaged having the ground converted into a stadium when they first settled on the ground. Don’t forget back in the day there was also a greyhound track at the ground too!
Yep, didn’t know that.

There are more than 2 parties, the Democrats tried in 2004 to get it to happen, the greens in 2009. The Labour party in 2015 made it so their MPs were bound by party policy to support marriage equality.

The country got it done, despite the liberal party who handled it in the worst possible way by not being willing to do their job and vote on it and opted for the plebiscite.
You mean the liberal party who was voted in on the policy of having a plebiscite? That one?

The gay marriage debate is the oddest thing in Aus politics (and that’s saying something)

The Libs who were in power and got it in are the villains?

The ALP who were in power for years but never voted it in because they themselves, were directly opposed, to the point their lesbian senate leader had to make speech after speech about why gay marriage is wrong, are the heroes?

Just looking at the thread title I figure this is the right place to post.

Disappointed to see kyle Cheney delisted. Maybe it's the right time, I don't know. But he wasn't really given a fair go at it under pyke. He came in only out of necessity in 2018 and did his job well. He's 29. I have no reason to believe he couldn't have done the same next yr, even if you wanted to put him on yearly contracts. I think he added depth and options to our squad against those small forward lines, and he repeatedly beat opponents bigger than himself when he found himself mismatched.

Underrated role player imo and under utilised, and possibly delisted too soon.

Just looking at the thread title I figure this is the right place to post.

Disappointed to see kyle Cheney delisted. Maybe it's the right time, I don't know. But he wasn't really given a fair go at it under pyke. He came in only out of necessity in 2018 and did his job well. He's 29. I have no reason to believe he couldn't have done the same next yr, even if you wanted to put him on yearly contracts. I think he added depth and options to our squad against those small forward lines, and he repeatedly beat opponents bigger than himself when he found himself mismatched.

Underrated role player imo and under utilised, and possibly delisted too soon.
Absolutely delisted too early ...but was a victim of ageism ....similar to Jason Tourney, who also was delisted when playing well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back