• Collingwood by a little

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Collingwood by a lot

Votes: 20 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of free kicks. View attachment 566791

Why does Maynard have his back to the ball?

Why is Maynard allowed to go the high fend-off on a player attempting to get to the ball?

Should have been more interested in providing a contest than stopping Rioli from getting to the drop of the ball. Might have affected the result. The dopey bastard doesn't even know Sheed's there.

Why is Maynard allowed to go the high fend-off on a player attempting to get to the ball?

Should have been more interested in providing a contest than stopping Rioli from getting to the drop of the ball. Might have affected the result. The dopey bastard doesn't even know Sheed's there.

He doesn't have his back to the ball, he is moving to the drop of the ball - eventually the ball lands behind Rioli and Maynard is trying to get to that point.

Rioli is under zero obligation to get out of Maynard's way.

He doesn't have his back to the ball, he is moving to the drop of the ball - eventually the ball lands behind Rioli and Maynard is trying to get to that point.

Rioli is under zero obligation to get out of Maynard's way.

At that exact point in time the ball is above and behind Maynard's right shoulder. Rioli is trying to watch it and get to the drop. Maynard's turned his back on the flight of the ball and is engaging with an opposing player. That's a regulation free kick to Rioli without even touching on the high contact. Sheed has run past behind him and Maynard has NFI at this time that Sheed is even in the area.

At that exact point in time the ball is above and behind Maynard's right shoulder. Rioli is trying to watch it and get to the drop. Maynard's turned his back on the flight of the ball and is engaging with an opposing player. That's a regulation free kick to Rioli without even touching on the high contact. Sheed has run past behind him and Maynard has NFI at this time that Sheed is even in the area.

I thought Sheed eventually takes the mark to the left of Rioli in the image? ie. it goes over Rioli's head.

Anyways, it is all play on for me.

As someone who was there - I’d say a significant majority stuck around for the presentations which was surprising

Collingwood fans gracious, Richmond fans that night insufferable

Now... is this thread worth reading or is it just umpire basing for 100+ pages

Its all of that. Reading the entrails of a close GF is just par for the course.;)

You may remember the 1989 GF. Its rated as the gold standard GF. People talked about the 'what ifs' for years. This was a great GF. So 2018 will be talked about in the same way. Focusing on one or two 'incidents' is just part of it. Really though the whole game had moments which had an effect on the outcome. It went to the wire, thats what made it such a great game.

Its all of that. Reading the entrails of a close GF is just par for the course.;)

You may remember the 1989 GF. Its rated as the gold standard GF. People talked about the 'what ifs' for years. This was a great GF. So 2018 will be talked about in the same way. Focusing on one or two 'incidents' is just part of it. Really though the whole game had moments which had an effect on the outcome. It went to the wire, thats what made it such a great game.
Until you go back and watch the first 3 quarters, very, very ordinary. Last quarter rocked

I take you were not at the game.
If you were you would have seen Maynard place himself between Sheed and Rioli wildly waving his arms in the air pleading for help as he was outnumbered. He did this as Ryan marked upfield and he knew the ball was coming. But for some reason you think he had no idea Sheed was there?
Do you think Maynard spends his entire game facing the wrong way?
He was waving for help knowing he was being outnumbered well before the ball arrived.
So he knew exactly his predicament. And it was Rioli who initiated contact. Rioli knows Sheed is there too and his one aim is to allow his better placed team mate to mark it. Rioli himself does not try to mark. He got away with it, and that’s fine.
Maynard is twisted, arms flailing and facing the wrong way as that is the direction in which he has been pushed. Maynard does not initiate head high contact on Rioli.
You cannot use one still frame of an incident and think you can make an accurate judgement.
I’m not dirty with the free not being paid. But I do think comments on the incident can at least be made with at least some semblance of accuracy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I know we all look at things from a preferred viewpoint. But I've been cogitating about this one and re-examining it for several weeks now. When I look at it I see Rioli and Maynard moving to compete for the mark, "normal" wrestling to get into the better position to take the ball. Sheed then moves in to take the mark before they can. Because he took the mark you might argue that Rioli was interfering with Maynard. But I genuinely don't think that was his intention.

I take you were not at the game.
If you were you would have seen Maynard place himself between Sheed and Rioli wildly waving his arms in the air pleading for help as he was outnumbered. He did this as Ryan marked upfield and he knew the ball was coming. But for some reason you think he had no idea Sheed was there?
Do you think Maynard spends his entire game facing the wrong way?
He was waving for help knowing he was being outnumbered well before the ball arrived.
So he knew exactly his predicament. And it was Rioli who initiated contact. Rioli knows Sheed is there too and his one aim is to allow his better placed team mate to mark it. Rioli himself does not try to mark. He got away with it, and that’s fine.
Maynard is twisted, arms flailing and facing the wrong way as that is the direction in which he has been pushed. Maynard does not initiate head high contact on Rioli.
You cannot use one still frame of an incident and think you can make an accurate judgement.
I’m not dirty with the free not being paid. But I do think comments on the incident can at least be made with at least some semblance of accuracy.

Watching a reverse angle of the lead up to that incident recently it was very interesting. Angle was from behind the goal posts. You are right Maynard was caught out 2 to 1 and was desperately trying to call team mates back to help (presumably they were manning up JK and JD). Rioli maintained separation from Sheed to force the decision from Maynard. As the ball was kicked Maynard had 3 options- 1) go for the ball to effect a mark or spoil 2)engage Sheed to prevent him marking and 3) engage Rioli and prevent him flying for it if the ball came deeper.
Rather than going for the ball, he took option 3 and engaged Rioli. Rioli wrestled with Maynard as he had right to do if Maynard engaged him, which ensured Sheed had enough time to take the mark.
In short, Maynard was caught outnumbered and instead of going the ball, went the man and made the wrong choice. I reckon it was a good decision by the umpire . I recognise my bias but looking at those facts from that camera shot I think most neutrals would agree with the summation.

****ING Brilliant re-reading this!!

Haha, just been through and read a fair bit of it today. So much salt from Freo and Port fans. Seems like most Collingwood fans accepted that we were the better side for majority of the game and should've probably kicked away sooner in the last if it hadn't been for some choking in front of goal. The umpires favouring West Coast was a funny one. What was the count in the end???? We all know. All day Collingwood were allowed to try and break tackles, then just threw the ball out, and play on called, yet we got tackled with little to no prior and got pinged straight away! Anyway, wonder how that petition is going.....

Haven't lurked the football part of the board much over the summer, so don't have a heap to base this question on, but...
Considering there appeared to be quite a deal of respect between both teams supporters after the game, has the reputation and way both Eagles and Pies fans view one anothers clubs changed for the positive on a whole? All those close finals leading to an incredible grand final last year must count for something.
I've certainly seen far more Fremantle and Carlton fans posting negative things about the Eagles and Pies than the supporters of the two competing teams did.

Back