VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Im not there so have zero knowledge of the kid other than what's posted here - that said - there is a clear path in front of him that bodes well for blokes like him.
Ruggles, Stewart, Atkins...all have come into GFC VFL ranks, worked their arses off with the talent they have and made senior list.

It can be done if he wants it bad enough and it good enough. I like the move.

GO Catters

Agree

Id prefer a 19..20 year old... thats missed out.. see if we can find another bargain.. Reid sounds good
Yep. All Blair would have done is take the place of a developing player and he's finished as an AFL footballer. I do like the look of Reid and he was very unlucky not to be drafted.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Id prefer a 19..20 year old... thats missed out.. see if we can find another bargain.. Reid sounds good

Having a competitive VFL team is important.

I think the side is shaping up to struggle next year.

An exodus of mature bodies and replaced by late draft picks.

Someone like GHS is not AFL standard but above VFL.

Blair probably not a great fit given we have plenty of small players but I'd like to see someone brought in to provide some experience.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Having a competitive VFL team is important.

I think the side is shaping up to struggle next year.

An exodus of mature bodies and replaced by late draft picks.

Someone like GHS is not AFL standard but above VFL.

Blair probably not a great fit given we have plenty of small players but I'd like to see someone brought in to provide some experience.

Define struggle?

There is only one result I want to see out of vfl ...develop our drafted talent.. the actual game result is secondary

Define struggle?

There is only one result I want to see out of vfl ...develop our drafted talent.. the actual game result is secondary
I think development is key but I like to see them get some wins and positivity from the experience as well.

Go Catters

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Define struggle?

Doubt they will make finals which is problematic if the AFL team goes deep.

Will be tough to develop players in a lop sided team.

2-3 of Smith, Abbott & Fort, then Buzza, the Irish guy, the Cat B guy from the Falcons.

Then plenty of project youngsters taken late in the draft.

Has dysfunctional rabble over it.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll

2-3 of Smith, Abbott & Fort, then Buzza, the Irish guy, the Cat B guy from the Falcons.

Didn't we make finals with pretty much the same team in 2018, another preseason into our younger players will certainly be of benefit.

How does that turn into dysfunctional rabble .?

Didn't we make finals with pretty much the same team in 2018, another preseason into our younger players will certainly be of benefit.

How does that turn into dysfunctional rabble .?
We have lost VFL regulars GHS, Thurlow & Murdoch

I don't think we'll turn into a dysfunctional rabble, but this will be a good opportunity for our draftees from the last 2 or 3 years to take on added responsibility, and for those senior AFL players who find themselves in the VFL to be leaders and mentors to the younger guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Plus Crameri and guys like House and Gardner who had 3 years experience in the VFL which is now reset to someone with none.

Last off season I was bullish on the vfl side as we picked up a number of good top ups, had senior bodies that were going to play VFL for most of the year and the players we drafted were pretty much plug and play, at least at VFL level.

We've cut most of the experience out of the VFL side and without that it makes it tough.

You don't win VFL with kids. Even the vfl flag with the 01 draftees had McGrath, Mensch, White, Grgic etc playing. They might have been cooked at AFL level but still good players a level down.

So unless Scott grows some balls and plays Scooter, Taylor, Henderson etc in the VFL then they will be bad, very bad.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Plus Crameri and guys like House and Gardner who had 3 years experience in the VFL which is now reset to someone with none.

Last off season I was bullish on the vfl side as we picked up a number of good top ups, had senior bodies that were going to play VFL for most of the year and the players we drafted were pretty much plug and play, at least at VFL level.

We've cut most of the experience out of the VFL side and without that it makes it tough.

You don't win VFL with kids. Even the vfl flag with the 01 draftees had McGrath, Mensch, White, Grgic etc playing. They might have been cooked at AFL level but still good players a level down.

So unless Scott grows some balls and plays Scooter, Taylor, Henderson etc in the VFL then they will be bad, very bad.
Call me old fashioned, but the VFL team is our seconds.
They will play whoever we don't need in the firsts.
If that means they are weakened, bad luck.
I suspect Scooter will play a few games there.
Not so sure about Henderson and Taylor.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll

I don't think we'll turn into a dysfunctional rabble, but this will be a good opportunity for our draftees from the last 2 or 3 years to take on added responsibility, and for those senior AFL players who find themselves in the VFL to be leaders and mentors to the younger guys.
So you answer my reply with logic (I really don't think Murda was a VFL regular), yet the poster I originally replied to - Hamingja had nothing to say to me.?

Then he/she goes on to say -

Crameri played how many games for Cats in '18.?

While I was sorry to see both House & Gardner delisted, there is a reason they never made an AFL appearance. :think:

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Call me old fashioned, but the VFL team is our seconds.
They will play whoever we don't need in the firsts.

Which IMO is Scooter and one of Henderson/Taylor. If we play past it players in the AFL we are not going anywhere. Scott won't drop them though, even when they deserve to be, which again was the point of that post.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Now I've heard everything.

There are two points that people are combining into one.

I'm saying the VFL team will be no good as it stands due to the lack of experience. Senior players determine the strength of your VFL team. If your VFL team is poor then kids generally don't develop well in a losing environment.

I'm not saying drop Scooter, Henderson and Taylor to have a better VFL team.

I'm saying that IMO Scooter and one of Henderson or Taylor are not in our best side next year if we are fair dinkum about improving. Blitz plays full back and we can't play both Henderson and Taylor also in the backline in that scenario, it is one or the other to play with Blitz, and we let Henry play as the third.

If Scott actually used form for selection then those guys would spend a lot of time in the twos and potentially improve both sides but I can't see it happening with a soft touch coach.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Which IMO is Scooter and one of Henderson/Taylor. If we play past it players in the AFL we are not going anywhere. Scott won't drop them though, even when they deserve to be, which again was the point of that post.
Understand your point. I think Scooter will be playing more VFL than AFL.
If Taylor and Hendo get replaced, it might be more to do with injuries.
I think when fully fit, they will prove to be better options.
It won't worry me if I'm wrong. That would mean a younger player has earned a spot.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Understand your point. I think Scooter will be playing more VFL than AFL.
If Taylor and Hendo get replaced, it might be more to do with injuries.
I think when fully fit, they will prove to be better options.
It won't worry me if I'm wrong. That would mean a younger player has earned a spot.
This.

I think for some there is a fear that favouritism plays a part in some sort of arcane selection process, but the players have clear metrics and milestones that they need to satisfy. We just don't know from here. I find it extremely difficult to accept that nepotism exists at this level of professionalism, but then there is always a Zac Dawson or Daisy Thomas that casts some doubt.

I just don't know how Scott can have favourites when he supposedly doesn't talk to the players.

So, for me, if the younger guys get in, they have earned it. It's seems a much more positive way to approach the black holes in our knowledge.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong

We have four rucks and expecting ruckmen to be fit hasn't worked for about 7 years now. If we reckon one will be injured / recovering / rested as a best case scenario, we have probably available for VFL duties :

2 rucks, Buzza, Krueger one KPD (Taylor/Henderson) Schlensog, Okunbor [I assume Esava plays AFL or is injured and only 1 ruck plays AFL each week]

So say Forte and Abbott ruck/forward - we will need a tall target up forward now Gardner is gone.
Buzza continues but down back replacing House.
Krueger plays lead up forward (mobile).
Okunbor looked a big unit at training and did well in the endurance running (the little bit I saw). He will probably play as a KPD in IMO
Taylor /Henderson play as intercept general at Half back.
Schlensog - don't know much about him yet but we need another tall forward and with a 5 man bench there is a spot to occupy.

That is 7 KPP/ruck and 16 small to mid per game. That doesn't seem over the top to me and assumes all bar one listed tall is fit and ready to play and no tall emergency is held back for a following AFL game. .

Just borrowing Larry Donahue best 22 ( for AFL duties)
If Scarlo has his way the best 22 2019 will be

Henderson Blicavs Bews
Henry Taylor Stewart
Tuohy Selwood Duncan
Atkins Hawkins Kelly
Ablett Ratagolea Dahlhaus
Fort Dangerfield Parfitt
Menegola Rohan Cockatoo S.Selwood
Em: Stanley Guthrie Kolo Constable
From emergencies down all need to prove hardness to get in to the team

Not a bad team either

Thats a necessary 6 KPP / ruck and assumes Esava will ruck I think. 16 smaller to mid size players.

In the VFL we would have to play 2 ruck/forwards . so thats 7 needed for the VFL.

If all 4 listed rucks are fit at the same time we have a problem - but that would be a nice problem to have - considering recent history.

VFL GO-FOOTYLIVE ONLINE RADIO LINK
Noticed this advertised on Facebook.

Well, it has been a long time coming but it's here in season 2019... goFooty.Live.

Live radio broadcasts of all* Geelong VFL & VFLW games from round 1 to the Grand Final. If the Cats are playing, we'll be there to bring you all the action. Experienced callers, informed opinion and maybe just a little bit of bias towards our home team.

Every round, we'll start our broadcast with a pre-match program with interviews with coaches or club officials from each club, reviews of the previous round and previews of the current round's games. After the game, we'll review the game and award our Player Of The Match and Goal Of The Day. And because we are committed to local footy in our region, we'll also report on the Geelong Football League (GFL), Bellarine Football League (BFL) and Geelong & Districts Football League (GDFL) during the broadcast every week.

Don't think it is affiliated with the club, but it'll be awesome to have something like this so those who can't make it to the games or who live in areas without TV coverage can keep up to date with what is happening with the VFL/VFLW sides.

Here's the link to the site: https://gofooty.live/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back