Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
B&F votes are given based on performance compared to expectation. How else could Lambert have finished ahead of Cotchin the past two years and Dusty this year? He wasn't better.

Yes that’s how it works. It’s based on how well you play. Not sure it’s based on a formula eg ability v performance. Sounds a bit la la land to me.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes that’s how it works. It’s based on how well you play. Not sure it’s based on a formula eg ability v performance. Sounds a bit la la land to me.

Shaun Grigg finished ahead of Jack Riewoldt in the '17 (premiership) Jack Dyer medal... its almost a meaningless award.

No disrespect to Short but it has very little importance

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Shaun Grigg finished ahead of Jack Riewoldt in the '17 (premiership) Jack Dyer medal... its almost a meaningless award.

Really !!

In a premiership year your placings in the clubs B & F are one of the most sought after and respected awards in a AFL team
The JD medal is very very highly regarded by Players and Club

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
So you think Lambert was our 2nd best player this year, even accounting for the games he missed? Better than everyone bar Riewoldt? And he was better than everyone bar Martin and Rance last year?

It is absolutely based on how well you perform your 'role', and Short's role carries less expectation than Rance's, or Grimes', or pretty much anyone in the 22. B&F results have also been known to be 'managed' for bonuses etc.

If they are playing for the same spot a choice of Short of Houli doesn’t really affect the balance of rest of the defence.
Houli’s got him for smarts but if we keep trying to be the most efficient at possesions to scores then it’s Short.
If Short had a little more of the Grimesy stingy, hardnosed tough bastard, one on one skills he’s a starter every week but until he’s improved that stuff I reckon he’s the weakest link in the defence and the FD has been alright with the trade off for extra 10 mtr he can kick.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

Inside Footy rankings at the end of the '17 season had Grigg ranked 19th in the entire competition for the year. He had a cracker year and deserved his JD 5th placing

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Rubbish, Grigg didnt deserve to place ahead of Jack.

Inside Footy rankings are obviously very stupid.,
Oops my bad, he wasn't 19 he was 17.
You can argue all you like, but fact is they have a system that ranked his year (like the Tiges B&F did) as one of the best in the league

[Yes I know you will use Dusty as an example]

49065970_392128031362886_6593849760954712064_n.png

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
You can argue all you like, but fact is they have a system that ranked his year (like the Tiges B&F did) as one of the best in the league

Grigg played the majority of that year on ball. With his running ability he runs the lines, a bit like Lambert. He also has the ability to hold the ball in a tackle and get his hands free. Out on the wing he is nowhere near as efficient as he doesn't have the pace to keep up with quick opponents. Needs to be back in the centre square so we can have a good look at Naish, Markov, Menadue, Bolton etc on the wing. MacIntosh on the other wing is still pretty safe although I wouldn't mind seeing Broad putting some pressure on him in that position.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Grigg isnt in the best 17 players at Richmond let alone the league. I dont intend to type much as its obvious Jack > Grigg, regardless of what some s**t website says. If you think otherwise then we will have to disagree.

Grigg played the majority of that year on ball. With his running ability he runs the lines, a bit like Lambert. He also has the ability to hold the ball in a tackle and get his hands free. Out on the wing he is nowhere near as efficient as he doesn't have the pace to keep up with quick opponents. Needs to be back in the centre square so we can have a good look at Naish, Markov, Menadue, Bolton etc on the wing. MacIntosh on the other wing is still pretty safe although I wouldn't mind seeing Broad putting some pressure on him in that position.

Grigg is too slow to play on the wing, too small to play in the ruck & too soft, not good enough to play inside. Graham, Higgins, Prestia, Cotchin, Martin types need to be back in the centre square not grigg

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Grigg isnt in the best 17 players at Richmond let alone the league. I dont intend to type much as its obvious Jack > Grigg, regardless of what some s**t website says. If you think otherwise then we will have to disagree.

Grigg is too slow to play on the wing, too small to play in the ruck & too soft, not good enough to play inside. Graham, Higgins, Prestia, Cotchin, Martin types need to be back in the centre square not grigg
He is definitely getting pushed further back with the acquisition and emergence of Prestia and Higgins as an inside mid, and I agree he is no wingman. He is miles in front of Graham at the moment, besides the table was relating to 2017 not 2018. With Conca going there is a spot in the midfield opening up. If Grigg gets games it should be there.
Grigg is not physical, but not soft. Treloar is not physical but racks it up by gut running, much like Grigg. It was against Colliingwood (second game) from memory, when we were getting beaten badly in the centre, they threw Grigg in there and he had 13 odd possessions in the third quarter and turned the game. He gets to the right spots, gets 25+ possessions regularly and he links up, we do not have another centre square mid that does that.

And he is a premiership ruckman....

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
He is definitely getting pushed further back with the acquisition and emergence of Prestia and Higgins as an inside mid, and I agree he is no wingman. He is miles in front of Graham at the moment, besides the table was relating to 2017 not 2018. With Conca going there is a spot in the midfield opening up. If Grigg gets games it should be there.
Grigg is not physical, but not soft. Treloar is not physical but racks it up by gut running, much like Grigg. It was against Colliingwood (second game) from memory, when we were getting beaten badly in the centre, they threw Grigg in there and he had 13 odd possessions in the third quarter and turned the game. He gets to the right spots, gets 25+ possessions regularly and he links up, we do not have another centre square mid that does that.

... Yep grigg is just like Treloar ... or the sun in mildura is taking its toll

And he is a premiership ruckman....

premiership liability

watch the preliminary final again

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

I get it, you dislike him. Good for you.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
I have doubts Short is better than Houli

what position does Vlastuin play?
Yep agree. Not only that out of 44 players on the list less than half the list in a good yr would play more than half the games giving them a better opportunity to place well in the B/F over the other players

Really dont care how others think of players. Imo Griggs best yr was 2016 not sure how others rated him that yr.

Griggys greatest assets have always been his run and his ability to spread from a contest.In most other areas he is pretty average.
Just my opinion he is best 22 simply because none of the ones coming thru have an output any where near him atm.

My personal opinion is he has gone into decline the last couple of seasons yet he is in front of others.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Griggs 2017 was damn right amazing and he was in my AFL team of the year. Sadly his 2018 was back to the Grigg of all the other years as he was found out in the ruck which was his strength in 2017 and then beaten for speed all over the park.
He got the extra year rightfully so bc he’s a Richmond premiership player , which went missing for 37 years. However he will need to be phased out in 2019 as we need to move on in search of a 12th flag.

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
So you think Lambert was our 2nd best player this year, even accounting for the games he missed? Better than everyone bar Riewoldt? And he was better than everyone bar Martin and Rance last year?

It is absolutely based on how well you perform your 'role', and Short's role carries less expectation than Rance's, or Grimes', or pretty much anyone in the 22. B&F results have also been known to be 'managed' for bonuses etc.
Short is nothing but a worthy Supercoach pick. That's how he gets his recognition. Metres gained are worth more than gold

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Griggs 2017 was damn right amazing and he was in my AFL team of the year. Sadly his 2018 was back to the Grigg of all the other years as he was found out in the ruck which was his strength in 2017 and then beaten for speed all over the park.
He got the extra year rightfully so bc he’s a Richmond premiership player , which went missing for 37 years. However he will need to be phased out in 2019 as we need to move on in search of a 12th flag.
Agree due mainly because he played as a centre mid not a wingman. Was pushed out to the wings by Conca, Prestia and Graham last season. Wanted him gone years ago when he was an ineffectual wingman, then thought he was vital playing as a linking gut running mid, now want him gone again if he is to be played out on the wings again.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Short is nothing but a worthy Supercoach pick. That's how he gets his recognition. Metres gained are worth more than gold
Metres gained are valuable, especially in Richmonds helta skelta forward line when we preferred to have the ball on the ground half the time than in the air. Will be interesting to see how he plays with an extra quality marking target. Reminds me a bit of Stewie Maxfield with his long kicking to the hot spots. Richo loved the ball in his hands. Raines was the same with Cloke/Roach at CHF and Bartlett, Wiley and co. running past. Football hasn't changed that much, now that the chip possession phase has thankfully seen it's day.

Last edited:
Back