Society/Culture Nobody has anything new to say about God.

Mantis Toboggan

Mar 24, 2018
It’s not celebrated anymore. Look at your language - art is “frivolous”.

Why does everything have to have a purpose? Why can’t something be created because we can? I’ve said this before - in a thousand years, how many of our structures will hold up as well as the structures of antiquity? None.

Imagination created the seven wonders of the ancient world. China builds a wall to keep the Mongols out and people flock to it as a marvel of engineering that has a sense of beauty behind it. It has soul.

Trump wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out and even if he possibly could do it, you just know it would be a disgustingly ugly monstrosity.

I’m not interested in knowledge without beauty. It’s boring, cold and sterile.

Art is largely frivolous.

That isn’t to say that I don’t appreciate it. In fact, along with a few other things I’d say that the appreciation of art is something that separates humans from other animals. Art is the difference between a functional square warehouse and the Taj Mahal. I concede that buildings today are generally not as beautiful as they were hundreds of years ago. Although if you showed your mate Jesus the Q1 in Surfers I reckon he’d be suitably impressed.

Creativity exists inside and outside of art. It can be functional or completely inconsequential. Both have their place. ‘Art’ is the extra, non essential tassels on life. It’s also, quite possibly, the most enjoyable thing about being human.

Talk about shifting the goalposts! You're all over the place.

You were complaining about lack of creativity in scientific discovery. It's not true. For example, we've got cheap personal drones that have found heaps of ancient ruins in Europe this year due to the hot summer. We've got several companies competing to take people into space. Smartphones are getting better all the time and the apps are fantastic. I was blown away this year when I was on holiday and Google Translate was translating foreign menus in real time.

Trump won't build the wall to keep Mexicans out. But it's interesting that you think a similar wall has 'beauty' and 'soul'. Because it was built from aesthetically pleasing materials? If Trump built a stone wall with flourishes by Carolee Schneemann presumably you would love it.

Actually, I was complaining about lack of creativity, period. It was the person I was responding to who equated it with scientific discovery.

Not everything has to relate to the practical. I want people to build things that are impractical...for no reason other than just because they can.

That's how the pyramids were built.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Actually, I was complaining about lack of creativity, period. It was the person I was responding to who equated it with scientific discovery.

Not everything has to relate to the practical. I want people to build things that are impractical...for no reason other than just because they can.

You get sillier by the post.

Mantis Toboggan

Mar 24, 2018

The pyramids were built by thrashing tens of thousands of slaves until they literally worked themselves to death.

How beautiful.

I think you’re in the minority in longing for those days.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The pyramids were built by thrashing tens of thousands of slaves until they literally worked themselves to death.

For insane megalomaniacs who thought they were immortal

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
47007565_2882551905103533_8004830845078601728_n.jpg

Ratcat

Aug 28, 2017
Be pretty cool if there is a heaven and you get there like people say. It would blow your mind.

My thoughts are when you die its like before you were born, u cant Remember anything.

Who knows...

Not in a hurry though but not really scared either.

Life's meaning, it's pretty complex and dynamic to all be for nought.
Jesus said he was the way, truth and life.
Worth investigating.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Life's meaning, it's pretty complex and dynamic to all be for nought.
Jesus said he was the way, truth and life.
Worth investigating.

You get a pass for the next 36 hours.

Aug 21, 2016
Oldham
You get a pass for the next 36 hours.

He wasn't called Jesus. He wasn't born on 25th December. No one wrote of him who had first hand experience. Something something shepherds, wise men, Santa Claus, reindeer, elves, christmas tree, tinsel, turkey, lights on your house, booze buses.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He wasn't called Jesus. He wasn't born on 25th December. No one wrote of him who had first hand experience. Something something shepherds, wise men, Santa Claus, reindeer, elves, christmas tree, tinsel, turkey, lights on your house, booze buses.

..........and this is supposed to be news to me?

Ratcat

Aug 28, 2017

Are you just trying to convince yourself or the whole of western civilization over the last 2000yrs?
The Gospel writer Luke claims to be an eye witness of his account as does John and Mathew.
In Hebrew his name is Joshua,...translated Jesus from the Greek.

Aug 21, 2016
Oldham
Are you just trying to convince yourself or the whole of western civilization over the 2000yr haul?
The Gospels writer Luke claims to be an eye witness of his account as does John and Mathew.
In Hebrew his name is Joshua,...translates Jesus from the Greek.

Christianity is very important to how Western civilisation developed. But the truth about Jesus is obscure and possibly not based on any one historical figure. The Christian rituals such as Christmas are based on a mixture of Roman, Jewish and early British pagan festivals.

Ratcat

Aug 28, 2017
Christianity is very important to how Western civilisation developed. But the truth about Jesus is obscure and possibly not based on any one historical figure. The Christian rituals such as Christmas are based on a mixture of Roman, Jewish and early British pagan festivals.

The Messiah who died on a Roman cross has never ever been obscure.( Certainly not missed by the Jews).
It's a sad indictment of our dumbed down modern age many think so but don't let the errorists win you over.
I agree the reason for Christmas is intentionally obscured.

Boston tiger

May 10, 2010
Where it all began

Christmas is just a mass for Christ. Go to mass to celebrate the birth of Christ. Not sure how that is based on any other pagan festivals.

Jun 14, 2017
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide

There is as much documentation about the life of Christ than Caesar, however not all the books were included in the New Testament, it’s mystery as to why. Yes I agree Western Civilisation is based on a combination of Greco Roman and Judeo Christian traditions.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
Team Rafael Nadal

Good to see you are finally getting the point. I have read a lot of Penrose, he disagrees with Hawking on god. His work is simply legendary. Consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe...whether you grasp the concept of not, makes absolutely no difference. Penrose repeats the same thing, Planck, Bohm, Bohrs, Heisenberg, Schrodinger said several decades ago.

roger-penrose-quote.jpg

Btw Merry Christ-mass :)

Oct 3, 2010
Chicago Cubs

The pyramids were built for religious reasons.
And that makes it what? Unimportant?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
Team Rafael Nadal
.I actually posted it to show up your bizarre extrapolations.
I have posted Penrose's research here many times for everyone to see. I have also read all this books. It's bizarre, cause you don't understand a thing. Penrose's OR actually agrees with Koch's IIT about the quantum nature of consciousness. None of the theories are free of criticism, but blindly copy pasting stuff from the net will get you nowhere.

Direct quote from Dr Penrose:

Everything ultimately has to do with our consciousness. Everything else is then explained in terms of it.

Extrapolate that. Troll.

Yes, and a happy random Jewish sect members birthday to you too

Missed the point, as usual.