Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why you would weaken your forward key position depth, especially since it was such a strength for WC, and will be again
In 2019.
Sure May is a good lock down defender, but when I look at the Dees and your contested style, lack of pace, intercept half backs, Freo
supporters have seen it all before.
Sure May can limit the damage, but weight of inside 50's will always prevail.
I'm pretty sure we have done our homework on Hogan, risk assessment, and it's why he was a bargain buy, I didn't see Hawks supporters
complaining about Buddy's flags, and to be honest I thought Hogan could do the same at Melbourne.
He's been having end of year discussions with the club for a few years now, so when he went to them and said he wanted to explore the opportunities of going home they were happy to see if something could be worked out. But May had to be part of it.

Hogan is a very smart footballer. He reads the game as well as any. But the club were getting sick of his off-field issues. I know this to be fact. I care not whether you believe me, or not.

So when a footballer, who has some issues off-field, who has more than once raised the issue of potentially going home at some point, say he wants to leave if a deal can be done you let him go if you can get what you want. No May and Hogan would have stayed.

We've traded Hogan for May, Kolodjashnij, and Tom Sparrow. Is it a good deal ? Ask me in 10 years. Is Hogan a better player than May ? Yes. Are we a structurally better team with May and not Hogan ? Yes, in my opinion.

Personally, May is exactly what we need and I think the McDonald/Weideman combo with Gawn playing forward more and other handy contested marking players like Melksham, Petracca, and Fritsch we have a potent forward-line. May and Lever will be massive for us if Lever overcomes his knee. With May now in the team it's the best list I've seen in my time following the Dees.

I don't think we're slow, as you assert, however, I'm rapt to get Kolodjashnij, who's going to take a wing. He has very good pace, height and aerobic ability. Harmes, Viney, and Oliver all have decent pace for mids, as does Hannan, Hibberd, Hunt, Joel Smith, Petracca, and others. We didn't lose one game of footy this year due to pace. Being no.1 for metres gained differential, as well as for scoring and inside 50s suggests "pace" wasn't the problem.

You disagree ? No biggie.

He's been having end of year discussions with the club for a few years now, so when he went to them and said he wanted to explore the opportunities of going home they were happy to see if something could be worked out. But May had to be part of it.

Hogan is a very smart footballer. He reads the game as well as any. But the club were getting sick of his off-field issues. I know this to be fact. I care not whether you believe me, or not.

So when a footballer, who has some issues off-field, who has more than once raised the issue of potentially going home at some point, say he wants to leave if a deal can be done you let him go if you can get what you want. No May and Hogan would have stayed.

We've traded Hogan for May, Kolodjashnij, and Tom Sparrow. Is it a good deal ? Ask me in 10 years. Is Hogan a better player than May ? Yes. Are we a structurally better team with May and not Hogan ? Yes, in my opinion.

Personally, May is exactly what we need and I think the McDonald/Weideman combo with Gawn playing forward more and other handy contested marking players like Melksham, Petracca, and Fritsch we have a potent forward-line. May and Lever will be massive for us if Lever overcomes his knee. With May now in the team it's the best list I've seen in my time following the Dees.

I don't think we're slow, as you assert, however, I'm rapt to get Kolodjashnij, who's going to take a wing. He has very good pace, height and aerobic ability. Harmes, Viney, and Oliver all have decent pace for mids, as does Hannan, Hibberd, Hunt, Joel Smith, Petracca, and others. We didn't lose one game of footy this year due to pace. Being no.1 for metres gained differential, as well as for scoring and inside 50s suggests "pace" wasn't the problem.

You disagree ? No biggie.

You lost everyone with your I know this for a fact line.;)

I found it interesting that Gary Lyon, who is somewhat in the know, totally discounted Melbourne trading Hogan. He then softened his position a few days later to "he won't be traded unless they receive two first round picks".

I personally believe Melbourne used the May pick up as a convenient pacifier for its fans (on account of May being half the footballer that Hogan is and relatively easily replaced).

I found it interesting that Gary Lyon, who is somewhat in the know, totally discounted Melbourne trading Hogan. He then softened his position a few days later to "he won't be traded unless they receive two first round picks".

I personally believe Melbourne used the May pick up as a convenient pacifier for its fans (on account of May being half the footballer that Hogan is and relatively easily replaced).

How can you call it a ' pacifier ' when KPD was a pretty obvious weakness for the Demons plus they kept him away from the Pies who could have also really used him ?
Even if Hogan turns out to be the best trade Freo has ever made doesn't necessarily make it a bad trade for Melbourne because that backline has got best in the comp potential now

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How can you call it a ' pacifier ' when KPD was a pretty obvious weakness for the Demons plus they kept him away from the Pies who could have also really used him ?
Even if Hogan turns out to be the best trade Freo has ever made doesn't necessarily make it a bad trade for Melbourne because that backline has got best in the comp potential now

WC won the flag because they had the best fwd line and backline , I don’t think May is as good as Gov or Barrass , Melbourne losing Hogan definitely weakens their fwd line.

Dee's just remind me of our 2012-2015 style and we had one of the best defensive structures in place yet still didn't get the chocolates.
Same with Sydney, all the clubs associated with Paul Roos, WC follow the Hawks game, uncontested and rebound, zones just get carved
up.

WC won the flag because they had the best fwd line and backline , I don’t think May is as good as Gov or Barrass , Melbourne losing Hogan definitely weakens their fwd line.

I don't think Mays better than those guys either but put him together with Lever , McDonald , Jetta and Hibberd and it looks pretty good to me

Dee's just remind me of our 2012-2015 style and we had one of the best defensive structures in place yet still didn't get the chocolates.
Same with Sydney, all the clubs associated with Paul Roos, WC follow the Hawks game, uncontested and rebound, zones just get carved
up.
So Roos, Lyon, Longmire sides were the top scoring sides in the competition ?

Goodwin coaches very differently to Roos.

Please remember that a snapped picture is only a millisecond of what was occurring. A picture showing someone laying down, doesn't show what happened a minute before the photo & a minute after.

Never use Instagram photos for context.
Are you saying that he was in a fight and got knocked out and the girl is nursing him, trying to save his life?

I honestly Melbourne may have made a big mistake here. May is no Hogan in ability. Neither is McDonald or Weideman. Lever is and is back next season, whilst Frost and Oscar McDonald are decent. I’d rather the jet key forward than the above average key defender and scraps.

I honestly hope I’m wrong as I can’t see Freo making finals next year and Melbourne are in the next bunch of teams I’d like to see win the flag. I mean stuff seeing the Eagles or a big Vic side win it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying there isn't a cloud over Hogan, being it either injury or drugs is just silly.
I am being reserved at the moment but I am not ecstatic that we have picked him up.
I will be if he comes in swinging and has a really good season next year.
We need to get a win with one of these gambles sooner than later.

Are you saying that he was in a fight and got knocked out and the girl is nursing him, trying to save his life?

A photo proves bugger all.

A photo must be looked at in the full context of it being taken.

Personally, I wish people would put all their photographic apparatus’s away when out partying. So much heartache has occurred from ill advised taking of snapshots.

Personally, I wish people would put all their photographic apparatus’s away when out partying. So much heartache has occurred from ill advised taking of snapshots.

But how else will people carefully cultivate an image of how exciting their lives are? Is it even worth going out and having fun if you don't get any social media credit for it?

A photo proves bugger all.

A photo must be looked at in the full context of it being taken.

It's a joke isn't it " look at this photo of such and such doing exactly the same thing as I was doing but he's famous so burn in hell "

But how else will people carefully cultivate an image of how exciting their lives are? Is it even worth going out and having fun if you don't get any social media credit for it?

That's why I deleted Facebook and have never had Snapchat etc

It's such a pretentious world which wasn't part of my youth. Which I'm so happy about.

We need to take pics to desperately show people how awesome we are and when we get likes it feedd our ego.

Even if Hogan turns out to be the best trade Freo has ever made doesn't necessarily make it a bad trade for Melbourne because that backline has got best in the comp potential now.

Hogan was a special pre draft pick that had actually delivered on his potential. May is a run of the mill, slightly oafish KPD. Sam Collins will probably deliver similar performance for GC this year given how he improved in the VFL for Werribee.

Last edited:
May isn't run of the mill he just has played in a terrible team plus unlike Collins may is actually genuinely quick which is something Melbourne have lacked in a tall defender.

I’d take both our two KPDs ahead of him!

Nah. But he’s not top 5-10 in the league.

He’s not as talented as Hogan who’s further up in a more talented group. Rance and McGovern are the only two genuine match winners for KPDs in the comp. KPFs - if you don’t have a match winning talent you struggle.

Nah. But he’s not top 5-10 in the league.

He’s not as talented as Hogan who’s further up in a more talented group. Rance and McGovern are the only two genuine match winners for KPDs in the comp. KPFs - if you don’t have a match winning talent you struggle.
Melbourne supporters are just salty, Hogan was once worth 2 top 10 picks? But the injury, innuendo and now May is the second coming.
The silly thing is that his number of goals during the year was a big reason for their success, and will be missed regardless.
As Freo supporters who have seen our side struggle to kick winning scores, put teams to the sword, and seen injury derail seasons good
luck to them, but if they want a reality check the final over here is proof enough.
At least they have improved their rucks, with Gawn pantsed as the sole ruck, but for all their inside bulls, they couldn't even find the ball or
use it.
I also think we have an elite swingman with Cox, and in time will become our matchwinner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back