Team Mgmt. Best 22 - 2019 edition

For the two KPFs I would start with McKernan and Z.Clarke. (Until Daniher is ready)

Brown plays more mid-sized and is not above Stringer.
Stewart needs to show he is above the others to push them out.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
For the two KPFs I would start with McKernan and Z.Clarke. (Until Daniher is ready)

Brown plays more mid-sized and is not above Stringer.
Stewart needs to show he is above the others to push them out.

I like it - would really like to see Z.Clarke get a run early in the red and black. A team like this could work;-

Francis Hurley McKenna
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Zakka Heppell Smith
Fantasia McKernan Langford
Z.Clarke Stringer Tippa

Bellcho Shiel Zerrett

Myers McGrath Guelfi Laverde

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mitch Brown still serially underrated I see. Stats when playing forward this year:

Brown: 11 games, 18 goals, 7 behinds (72% accuracy), 2.2 I50, 0.5 GA, 0.9 CM, 1.5 MI50, 1 TI50 per game
McKernan: 10 games, 16 goals, 11 behinds (59% accuracy), 2.3 I50, 0.3 GA, 1.5 CM, 2 M150, 1 TI50 pg
Stewart: 11 games, 15 goals, 13 behinds (54% accuracy), 2.4 I50, 0.6 GA, 1.3 CM, 1.6 MI50, 0.7 TI50 pg

Brown is comfortably the most accurate of the three, but the rest of the stats are near identical. Obviously I excluded the first 3 games of the year where Brown was playing in defence.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Mitch Brown still serially underrated I see. Stats when playing forward this year:

Brown: 11 games, 18 goals, 7 behinds (72% accuracy), 2.2 I50, 0.5 GA, 0.9 CM, 1.5 MI50, 1 TI50 per game
McKernan: 10 games, 16 goals, 11 behinds (59% accuracy), 2.3 I50, 0.3 GA, 1.5 CM, 2 M150, 1 TI50 pg
Stewart: 11 games, 15 goals, 13 behinds (54% accuracy), 2.4 I50, 0.6 GA, 1.3 CM, 1.6 MI50, 0.7 TI50 pg

Brown is comfortably the most accurate of the three, but the rest of the stats are near identical. Obviously I excluded the first 3 games of the year where Brown was playing in defence.

Agree that Brown is underrated but Mckernan was playing a much more difficult role on the opposition's best defender whilst also holding down back up ruck.

I think all of Daniher, Stewart and Brown or relish playing with a Hooker/Mckernan type as the contested marking deep forward.

Agree that Brown is underrated but Mckernan was playing a much more difficult role on the opposition's best defender whilst also holding down back up ruck.

I think all of Daniher, Stewart and Brown or relish playing with a Hooker/Mckernan type as the contested marking deep forward.
I was more talking in the "Z Clarke should start forward" who's never averaged 1 goal/game in an AFL season, ever.

Oh definitely agree . More chance Clarke pushes past Bellchambers as No.1 ruck and TBC becomes an option at FF which is also very unlikely.
Stewart, Brown and McKernan are VFL standard or slightly above. Clarke pushing past any of them should not take too much imagination.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Surely if Daniher isn't ready for the early part of the season you give first crack to what produced 10 wins from 14 games last year?

ie Brown and Mckernan, with Stringer as the 3rd tall. Laverde/Langford hanging around as marking options aswell as that 4th

I would hope Zac Clarke has to do plenty in preseason to get a game as a forward ahead Mckernan

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Francis Hurley McKenna
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Zakka Heppell Smith
Laverde Brown Fantasia
Stringer McKernan Tippa

Bellcho Shiel Z.Merrett

Bench from: McGrath Myers Langford Guelfi

I've left out Joe for now given it seems he hasn't played or trained properly for 8 months - hope the big fella comes good sooner rather that later from his OP problems.
If he is fit round 1 then he replaces Brown. Laverde someone I really want to have a break out year this year - he's shown glimpses all his career - lets hope he can find some consistency.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Francis Hurley McKenna
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Zakka Heppell Smith
Laverde Brown Fantasia
Stringer McKernan Tippa

Bellcho Shiel Z.Merrett

Bench from: McGrath Myers Langford Guelfi

I've left out Joe for now given it seems he hasn't played or trained properly for 8 months - hope the big fella comes good sooner rather that later from his OP problems.
If he is fit round 1 then he replaces Brown. Laverde someone I really want to have a break out year this year - he's shown glimpses all his career - lets hope he can find some consistency.
I reckon Darcy Parish will surprise you this year. And yeah i hope Laverde plays 20 games.

Jager bombers

Senior List
Apr 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we can fit a few talls in the team this year.
Hooker and Hurley down back are a given. And Francis should cement his spot down back with them.
Bellchambers is our clear no 1 ruck.
Joe if fit is our number 1 fwd.
It gets interesting when thinking about the battle for the 2nd tall fwd position.
Brown and Stewart have both shown they are capable without either of them grabbing the spot as their own.
Smack is inconsistent but versatile and started to show that he can grab a spot more consistently.
My ideal situation is that Smack can become a back-up ruck and mobile 3rd fwd behind either Brown or Stewart.

So with that, my best 22 is;

FB: Francis Hooker Gleeson
HB: Saad Hurley McKenna
MID: Zaharakis Heppell Parish
HF: Stringer Stewart Smith
FF: Fantasia Daniher Walla
R: Bellchambers Zerrett Shiel
INT: McGrath Langford Laverde Smack

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
B: Gleeson - Hooker - Francis
HB: Saad - Hurley - McKenna
C: McGrath - Heppell - Zaharakis
HF: Stringer - Daniher - Laverde
F: Fantasia - McKernan - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Merrett
I/C: Smith - Langford - Parish - Redman/Guelfi

Last edited:

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we can fit a few talls in the team this year.
Hooker and Hurley down back are a given. And Francis should cement his spot down back with them.
Bellchambers is our clear no 1 ruck.
Joe if fit is our number 1 fwd.
It gets interesting when thinking about the battle for the 2nd tall fwd position.
Brown and Stewart have both shown they are capable without either of them grabbing the spot as their own.
Smack is inconsistent but versatile and started to show that he can grab a spot more consistently.
My ideal situation is that Smack can become a back-up ruck and mobile 3rd fwd behind either Brown or Stewart.

So with that, my best 22 is;

FB: Francis Hooker Gleeson
HB: Saad Hurley McKenna
MID: Zaharakis Heppell Parish
HF: Stringer Stewart Smith
FF: Fantasia Daniher Walla
R: Bellchambers Zerrett Shiel
INT: McGrath Langford Laverde Smack

Id be very surprised if Stewart is selected ahead of SMACK or Mitch Brown. For me he'd need to be banging the door down in the reserves first.
Yes hes 3 years younger than both SMACK & Brown, and both SMACK and Brown are still only 28 and could play another 3 - 4 years, both are much more versatile than Stewart (Brown can play defence & SMACK ruck), and both kicked more goals than Stewart last year. Stewart had a few decent AFL games early early but then struggled to have an impact in AFL, and he wasn't a stand out in the reserves either

Jager bombers

Senior List
Apr 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Id be very surprised if Stewart is selected ahead of SMACK or Mitch Brown. For me he'd need to be banging the door down in the reserves first.
Yes hes 3 years younger than both SMACK & Brown, and both SMACK and Brown are still only 28 and could play another 3 - 4 years, both are much more versatile than Stewart (Brown can play defence & SMACK ruck), and both kicked more goals than Stewart last year. Stewart had a few decent AFL games early early but then struggled to have an impact in AFL, and he wasn't a stand out in the reserves either
Fair enough. I just reckon Stewart will surprise plenty of people this year. Its good that we have competition for that spot. What im saying is that i hope someone really grabs it and plays consistently. My money is on Stewart to be that guy but i hope it's Smack as his roof is higher

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting Best 22 from Fox... not sure if they watched any Essendon in 2018.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ev...1/news-story/85d7844f0da798de91df8027a6462b11

Baguely back? Hooker forward? McGrath still in a back pocket?

ESSENDON

B: M. Baguley, M. Hurley, A. McGrath

HB: A. Saad, P. Ambrose, A. Francis

C: K. Langford, Z. Merrett, D. Heppell

HF: J. Stringer, C. Hooker, O. Fantasia

F: A. McDonald-Tipungwuti, J. Daniher, D. Smith

FOL: T. Bellchambers, D. Zaharakis, D. Shiel

I/C: D. Parish, C. McKenna, S. McKernan, D. Myers

EMG: M. Guelfi, M. Gleeson, J. Laverde, J. Stewart

We say: The Bombers’ finals chances were given a boost with the critical off-season addition of midfielder Dylan Shiel. Defenders Aaron Francis and Patrick Ambrose should be set to play much greater roles in 2019 and will free up Cale Hooker to spend much of his time in attack, while tall Shaun McKernan gets the nod ahead of James Stewart to help out up forward and in the ruck.

Back