Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Saw Matthew Scarlet after a Geelong game once, about 15 fans asked for an autograph (this was before smartphones took over so no photos) and he stormed past, completely ignored everyone.
Geelong players tend to do that a lot!

catsbig.gif

Glorin

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2009
On the edge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At work I had a meeting with a Visy rep
It was Jezza!
He was shorter than I imagined he might be.
I gushed to him that he was my hero when I was a kid (true) he rolled his eyes as if to say that this was a common occurrence for him and then proceeded to spruik Visy recyclable solutions.
I too have had this experience, sans favourite player and gushing. Nice bloke to chat to though.

I used to sell wine to David Bourke and Clinton Casey when I managed a wine shop in Richmond. Dipper used to drop in every once and awhile too.

Bought a coat for my daughter off Trent Cotchin's Mrs at a baby clothes fair. Trent was there and he took the payment. Very quiet bloke who was really embarrassed to be there.

Kyle Cheney lived on my street when he played at Hawthorn. Said hi to him once when I was walking past him back from getting some milk.

Was at a Box Hill game back when Shane Tuck was still at the Hawks. Was standing at the urinal Michael comes in and takes a spot up beside me. Had an awkward conversation about wanting to shake his hand after he washed his hands.

I was managing a wine shop in the area of Dublin Jim Stynes came from. His parents came in one day ( I didn't know them at the time) and mentioned that they had been out to Australia a lot to visit their sons who lived out there and played football. I started to work out who they were talking about and realised that their youngest son was playing footy with my younger brother at the time.

My dad was a teacher and he his glasses broken in a teacher vs student match by Brendon McCormack who was playing at Fitzroy at the time.

I did some work at Box Hill Hawks when Donald Mc Donald was coach and remember playing kick to kick with Luke when he was only 5 or 6.

Gary Buckenarra used to live on the street of my primary school. His son Andrew and my brother got on well and they went to Jason Dunstall's house one day for a swim.

So many more that I have forgotten over the years.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich o man

All Australian
Oct 19, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
Richmond
High school athletics state champs, me and another guy battled for 2nd and 3rd with only 2cm between us. The guy who beat us won by about 25cm. Saw that same guy on the Herald Sun front page a few months later. It was Docker Jeff White.
Who is i
Years ago I did some work at rod carters house in enmore Sydney. Nice footy chat with tilt. Think he made me a coffee .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
did Tilt supply the spirit level

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
At Callactive circa 5 years ago Nathan Burke, Milne and a couple others I can't remember would rockup in the carpark on lunch break on a hot day, take their shirts off and try pickup young female staff members for the lunch break. Nathan Burke and a few other players owned the company so he treated it like his own little honey pot

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Chris Langford was a guest at a wedding I was at some years ago. A storm set in and he proved very adept at letting down the awnings out on the deck so the other guests didn't get drenched. I asked myself at the time if his years as a four-time premiership defender at Hawthorn had somehow lent him the skills to undertake this task with such a confident physicality.

Last edited:

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
In a restaurant in Newtown last week, sitting down with a friend waiting for our garlic bread before mains. I remember my beer- a furphy pint- was about half full. My friend may have had a little more in his pint as he arrived slightly after me, allowing me a couple of minutes to drink mine whilst waiting for him to arrive.

Looked up at the table across from me, Tom Hawkins and his wife were just leaving. Looked like Tom went the steak. Nodded my head at him, asked how his ankle was, which was taped. He said it was ok. He asked what I ordered for dinner, I said "went the steak mate". He said "they do a good steak here". We exchanged pleasantries about the Christmas break, and he and his wife walked out. After that brief encounter, I was looking forward to another mouthful of beer, which I had. As I put the beer down, the waitress arrived with the garlic bread.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In a restaurant in Newtown last week, sitting down with a friend waiting for our garlic bread before mains. I remember my beer- a furphy pint- was about half full. My friend may have had a little more in his pint as he arrived slightly after me, allowing me a couple of minutes to drink mine whilst waiting for him to arrive.

Looked up at the table across from me, Tom Hawkins and his wife were just leaving. Looked like Tom went the steak. Nodded my head at him, asked how his ankle was, which was taped. He said it was ok. He asked what I ordered for dinner, I said "went the steak mate". He said "they do a good steak here". We exchanged pleasantries about the Christmas break, and he and his wife walked out. After that brief encounter, I was looking forward to another mouthful of beer, which I had. As I put the beer down, the waitress arrived with the garlic bread.
Jeeze that really was boring, well done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back