Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Ran across this article from earlier in the year on another clubs board, I had no idea that some clubs made such a huge amount of money from pokies, I can't seem to find how much we make from our 200 pokies at Springwood, anyone know?

I very rarely play them and when I do only put $10-20 in them and have nothing specifically against them, although I'm not close to anyone with a pokie gambling problem.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-04/demons-set-for-a-pokiefree-future

AFL CONTROLLED POKER MACHINE TAKINGS

HAWTHORN - Up from $23.3m to $24.3 (two venues)
CARLTON – Up from $17.6m to $18.4 (four venues)
COLLINGWOOD – Up from $12.2m to $13.2 (two venues)
ESSENDON – Down from $11.9m to $11.6m (two venues)
MELBOURNE – Up from $10.3m to $10.4m (two venues)
GEELONG – Up from $5.2m to $6.3m (two venues)
WESTERN BULLDOGS – Up from $5.9m to $6.1m (two venues)
RICHMOND – Down from $5.4m to $5.3m (one venue)
ST KILDA – Down from $2.11m to $2.09m (one venue)

How many poker machines does your club operate?
  • Carlton – 290 (four venues)
  • Brisbane – 200 (one venue)
  • Essendon – 190 (two venues)
  • Melbourne – 180 (two venues)
  • Hawthorn – 155 (two venues)
  • Collingwood – 146 (two venues)
  • Geelong – 100 (one venue)
  • Richmond – 87 (one venue)
  • St Kilda – 83 (one venue)
  • Port Adelaide – 63 (two venues)
  • Western Bulldogs – 60 (one venue)
  • Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, West Coast, North Melbourne, Sydney, GWS – Nil

Would rather see the footy clubs, RSL's etc benefit from the profits than the privately owned pubs with pokies. The money earnt for the clubs has to go back into the club whereas a pub can keep the profits and not have to put back into the pub. Silly if they don't but it is optional for the owners of that pub..

The gaming machine takings then has tax applied to it (at least in Queensland anyway). For clubs, it rises depending on takings to a maximum 35% of takings for revenue over $1.4M. So, it is worth remembering that, even though the numbers are enormous, the government takes a fairly hefty percentage off the top (not nearly enough to pay for the social cost of problem gambling, mind you).

The gaming machine takings then has tax applied to it (at least in Queensland anyway). For clubs, it rises depending on takings to a maximum 35% of takings for revenue over $1.4M. So, it is worth remembering that, even though the numbers are enormous, the government takes a fairly hefty percentage off the top (not nearly enough to pay for the social cost of problem gambling, mind you).
But the operating costs are minimal once you've purchased the licence.

The Lions at Springwood, are across the road from the Springwood Hotel. This is going back over 5 years, but the Springwood Hotel used to bring in over $1m per month in pokie revenue, and they only has 40 pokie machines.

It's probably been 18 months since I visited the Lions at Springwood. The place is badly in need of major renovations. The food is bad, and the atmosphere is a step above a morgue. As a sporting club, it looks like it's stuck in the 80's. Looking at the place, the Lions do not appear to be interested in maximising the potential revenue of 200 machines in what is essentially one of the top gambling areas of SEQ.

I'd love to be stuck in the 80's

backtothe80s_1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, West Coast, North Melbourne, Sydney, GWS = respect

The Suns get pokie money. It’s just laundered through the Southport Sharks first.

there's a framed brissy away (fitzroy colours) guernsey which i believe is signed by the entire 2018 brisbane squad currently sitting in my work's office. buyer at a charity auction didn't go through with the purchase. i think the bid was around $900, does that sound about right for an item like that? too high/low?

there's a framed brissy away (fitzroy colours) guernsey which i believe is signed by the entire 2018 brisbane squad currently sitting in my work's office. buyer at a charity auction didn't go through with the purchase. i think the bid was around $900, does that sound about right for an item like that? too high/low?

Priceless

Hi all, 2018 has been a pretty crappy year for me. Thanks for feeding my passion and providing plenty of entertaining distractions. Here’s cheers to the lions and all of us supporters having a cracking 2019.
See you at the Gabba.

Fox Footy playing random classic games last little while but yet to see a Lions game from the glory days come up yet.

1pm there is a replay of the classic "Line in the sand" game from 2004 (Hawks v Bombers) which is worth a re-watch. 18 players reported which I think is the most ever from 1 game!

Fox Footy playing random classic games last little while but yet to see a Lions game from the glory days come up yet.

1pm there is a replay of the classic "Line in the sand" game from 2004 (Hawks v Bombers) which is worth a re-watch. 18 players reported which I think is the most ever from 1 game!

Vandenberg lowered his flag so badly that game. Dog.

But the operating costs are minimal once you've purchased the licence.

The Lions at Springwood, are across the road from the Springwood Hotel. This is going back over 5 years, but the Springwood Hotel used to bring in over $1m per month in pokie revenue, and they only has 40 pokie machines.

It's probably been 18 months since I visited the Lions at Springwood. The place is badly in need of major renovations. The food is bad, and the atmosphere is a step above a morgue. As a sporting club, it looks like it's stuck in the 80's. Looking at the place, the Lions do not appear to be interested in maximising the potential revenue of 200 machines in what is essentially one of the top gambling areas of SEQ.

On the way home from the Pine Rivers practice match early this year we popped in there for a bite & to have a squiz. It was a weird experience. A psychedelic wiggles band blasted "Paint it Black" & other obscure 60's 70's covers to a dance floor of half a dozen kiddies & a few enthusiastic 60 somethings. Whilst the music in itself was good it was out of place. The band were so loud we could hardly converse over the delicious Moroccan Lamb Burgers. We left straight after dinner. Apart from our meal, I agree wholeheartedly with briztoon's assessment of the place.

Was the design of the building done by a "friend" of the Club who is not an expert in the designing of gaming/entertainment venues? It looks that way to me. Is the venue being run by a Board Members son in law? I wonder how the financials for the place stack up for a venue with so many blood sucking machines in it?

Last edited:
I had a horror experience there. Visiting the big smoke and a mate suggested we go there and watch round one against St Kilda as it was an away game. We thought ok, will be cooking for atmosphere above a normal pub surely, why not. So off we go. Get there and looked around - no AFL on any channel on any TV and sparse for crowd. OK..... so we set up camp on a few chairs near the biggest TV and waited for the game to start as we were quite early. Had to go eventually and ask the bar lady to turn the TV to the game. She said she will when she gets a chance as there were 2 people in the bar que. Eventually some bombers old game comes on and another lady from the clubs staff approaches us and says we have to move to another TV as the band will be coming in to setup in front of here in an hour. She then adds she will turn the TV off at half time and if we want to watch any more we will have to go home and watch it there! Incredulous we moved and got that other TV going and by now there was another 10 or so supporters there just thinking the same way we were and just as dissalusioned at the lack of any concern for a LIONS 1st season game or any sign of club passion or support. Many grumbles and quite a few of us supporters getting very cranky.
Just before half time I went for a wander around thinking I wont see the rest of the game with 40 mins travel at half time. Spot this outdoor area with a huge TV and a sprinkle of people watching a Crunulla NRL game. Blew my stack and went in and demanded to have that outside TV turned to the game. Pointed out the surroundings and that it was a Brisbane Lions club supposedly supporting AFL and the club. Gob smacked. An older lady heard my complaints from behind the bar and agreed it was a ridiculous situation and told the young lass to turn that outside TV to the game now and we could all go and setup there. Half time by now so I announce to the group what happened and we move outside. The little group already outside then comes to the bar and demands what happened to there NRL viewing even though there were several other TV's there showing that game. They threw a turn but the older lady stuck to her guns and told them it was an AFL club after all and if they wanted to watch NRL every other pub in Brisbane would have it on. We watched the rest of a dissapointing game outside but the other people never left and instead heckled us from the corner they were in throughout.
What a dissapointing and bizarre day. We made our mind up that the Lions surely couldn't know that this was the attitude at the social club. Said we would never come back and haven't. Obviously just a pokie revenue stream. Thought long and hard about writing to the club about our experience. It was beyond belief.

I had a horror experience there. Visiting the big smoke and a mate suggested we go there and watch round one against St Kilda as it was an away game. We thought ok, will be cooking for atmosphere above a normal pub surely, why not. So off we go. Get there and looked around - no AFL on any channel on any TV and sparse for crowd. OK..... so we set up camp on a few chairs near the biggest TV and waited for the game to start as we were quite early. Had to go eventually and ask the bar lady to turn the TV to the game. She said she will when she gets a chance as there were 2 people in the bar que. Eventually some bombers old game comes on and another lady from the clubs staff approaches us and says we have to move to another TV as the band will be coming in to setup in front of here in an hour. She then adds she will turn the TV off at half time and if we want to watch any more we will have to go home and watch it there! Incredulous we moved and got that other TV going and by now there was another 10 or so supporters there just thinking the same way we were and just as dissalusioned at the lack of any concern for a LIONS 1st season game or any sign of club passion or support. Many grumbles and quite a few of us supporters getting very cranky.
Just before half time I went for a wander around thinking I wont see the rest of the game with 40 mins travel at half time. Spot this outdoor area with a huge TV and a sprinkle of people watching a Crunulla NRL game. Blew my stack and went in and demanded to have that outside TV turned to the game. Pointed out the surroundings and that it was a Brisbane Lions club supposedly supporting AFL and the club. Gob smacked. An older lady heard my complaints from behind the bar and agreed it was a ridiculous situation and told the young lass to turn that outside TV to the game now and we could all go and setup there. Half time by now so I announce to the group what happened and we move outside. The little group already outside then comes to the bar and demands what happened to there NRL viewing even though there were several other TV's there showing that game. They threw a turn but the older lady stuck to her guns and told them it was an AFL club after all and if they wanted to watch NRL every other pub in Brisbane would have it on. We watched the rest of a dissapointing game outside but the other people never left and instead heckled us from the corner they were in throughout.
What a dissapointing and bizarre day. We made our mind up that the Lions surely couldn't know that this was the attitude at the social club. Said we would never come back and haven't. Obviously just a pokie revenue stream. Thought long and hard about writing to the club about our experience. It was beyond belief.

That’s horrendous.

Should have written/emailed the club.
Hope you don't mind, but maybe Lions_Insider can at least share your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back