Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If that’s the case then we made a big booboo...

I was quite disappointed that we weren’t able to work something for Francis in the 2017 trade period. He was a like for like for Lever, an elite talent with a clear reason for his struggles to that point and SA boy to boot.

I hope we weren’t too shy following Menzel...

I've stated prior that I was against going after Francis, as said, he was struggling mentally. Equally, doesn't play a position that is worthwhile to chase (remembering how easy we found it to replace Lever) and with said mental struggles, there is always going to be the question mark if he can transition into an actually valuable position. He's a feel good story for Essendon if he does (continues to) make it, but it was not worth chasing him at all unless he was a DFA, or costing a 4th/5th as the potential fail rate was very high at that point even at his talent level.

To the Menzel comment: Yes. I like farming potatoes too.

I'd say pick 2 for rankine straight up would do it if he asks to be traded

There is a year of stuff to go under the bridge before we truly know if that is a good idea or now, however currently I'd do it.

I think it would also prove he's a soft campaigner in the true sense of the word given the number of SA lads well known to him up there with him.

Not really. It does suggests he could be hard to manage if we don't show him enough love (see Wingard). But if he asks to be traded to Adelaide, I dont necessarily think it shows he is too soft to stay at the Gold Coast. Any player with ambition and a sense of self worth would want out of there ASAP. I feel sorry for all the players that have to spend their careers there so the AFL can make more money in Queensland. If he asked out of Hawthorn after a year it would be a different story.

But as Golumless said. In 12 months we will judge him by a different standard than we did pre-draft. Has he had any off field problems? Does he train well and professionally? He will likely get games, so how does he look at AFL level. If he looks like an absolute gun at AFL level in his first year, pick 1 may not be enough. My guess is he will show enough to hold his value, so if he does specifically ask for a trade, GC will have to weigh up whether to take pick 1 which they wont get in 12 months time.

Not really. It does suggests he could be hard to manage if we don't show him enough love (see Wingard). But if he asks to be traded to Adelaide, I dont necessarily think it shows he is too soft to stay at the Gold Coast. Any player with ambition and a sense of self worth would want out of there ASAP. I feel sorry for all the players that have to spend their careers there so the AFL can make more money in Queensland. If he asked out of Hawthorn after a year it would be a different story.

But as Golumless said. In 12 months we will judge him by a different standard than we did pre-draft. Has he had any off field problems? Does he train well and professionally? He will likely get games, so how does he look at AFL level. If he looks like an absolute gun at AFL level in his first year, pick 1 may not be enough. My guess is he will show enough to hold his value, so if he does specifically ask for a trade, GC will have to weigh up whether to take pick 1 which they wont get in 12 months time.

One thing to note - pick 1 will be enough in every situation. It's the most valuable thing in this game after all.

If Rankine demands to leave after one year, he's proven that he was drafted too high.

I'd argue those two have no relevance.

GC can't take an approach where they just draft people that they think may stay just because that's dumb list management, especially factoring they're in a much worse situation then us (and our situation is quite poor). They're forced into a situation where they'd be hoping to either keep someone or lose him early enough to retain value without performance being a big factor (so 1-3 years).

We have someone who was top 3 in talent, and went there. GC made the right decision regardless of if he goes or not, and a much better one then drafting someone like lets say Stocker who may have stayed but was nowhere near the talent level. Equally it's worth noting if they get pick 1 from us for instance, then their decision to draft him looks very inspired, despite being a total accident.

One thing to note - pick 1 will be enough in every situation. It's the most valuable thing in this game after all.

Depends. If a top 3 pick goes into his first season and absolutely stars, maybe even makes the AA team. What value do you place on him? That player will be getting huge offers from all over the country. I am not expecting Rankine to do this, but my point was that if he really shows he will be an AFL star in his first season then pick 1 may not be enough. We would be paying to get him while we can. If we don't get a deal done, we could end up paying him a bigger wage and we then have to match clubs with picks that we dont have.

12 months is a long time in footy. If any player shows he is the new big deal in footy and if he wants to come to us I wouldnt be waiting around 12 months and let other clubs get into his head.

Depends. If a top 3 pick goes into his first season and absolutely stars, maybe even makes the AA team. What value do you place on him? That player will be getting huge offers from all over the country. I am not expecting Rankine to do this, but my point was that if he really shows he will be an AFL star in his first season then pick 1 may not be enough. We would be paying to get him while we can. If we don't get a deal done, we could end up paying him a bigger wage and we then have to match clubs with picks that we dont have.

12 months is a long time in footy. If any player shows he is the new big deal in footy and if he wants to come to us I wouldnt be waiting around 12 months and let other clubs get into his head.

You will never find a situation where pick 1 isn't enough. Even Dangerfield/Martin/Fyfe etc wanted to leave, the losing club wouldn't fight it if it got them the 1st pick.

Even if Rankine does all that, it's still enough.

The reality is if he wants out it will only be to play with the crows. So if he asks out next year GC has a big decision..take what would likely be a top 2 draft pick at the end of the year OR hold him to his contract and then they just have to take whatever adelaide can offer for him after the second year. If he says it is Adelaide and only Adelaide he will go to then the draft will be no threat to him as a playerwho nominates his club of choice always gets there. That is the reality GC face if he wants out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rankine demands to leave after one year, he's proven that he was drafted too high.
I think it would also prove he's a soft campaigner in the true sense of the word given the number of SA lads well known to him up there with him.
What bollocks

Maybe he's just hard set on fulfilling his dream of playing for us and not wasting time on a lost cause.

Despite what the media reported, and what we all think he was worth, Essendon offered him up cheap towards the end of the trade period in 2017, and neither is nor Port took them up on the offer.

Given his talents, I find that extremely surprising and it probably speaks volumes of where he was at mentally more than anything else.

Credit to both him and Essendon for turning it around, he’s a superb player. But yes imo, the boat has sailed and I think he will be with the bombers for a while longer.

Can confirm - I heard we turned down a straight swap of Alex Keath for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can confirm - I heard we turned down a straight swap of Alex Keath for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didnt hear a specific player involved, just a measly pick.

But interesting nonetheless, given Keath's age vs Francis. Think Francis is too similar to Doedee though. Losing Keath would have been a big loss to our KPD depth, despite the talent of Francis.

I like Matt Rowell and Sam Flanders.

From an SA perspective Will Gould is a big, strong kid who played really well against our SANFL side Friday night, Cam Taheny is very talented but is likely to play ressies for Norwood most of the year. Had a solid game for them against Centrals on the weekend.

I like Matt Rowell and Sam Flanders.

From an SA perspective Will Gould is a big, strong kid who played really well against our SANFL side Friday night, Cam Taheny is very talented but is likely to play ressies for Norwood most of the year. Had a solid game for them against Centrals on the weekend.
How about that Anderson fellow?

Given the amount of soft campaigner Victorians that have burned us by returning home....

And if GC gets pick 1-2 for him (and it may still cost us extra)?

Really providing he goes to us, it's a no lose situation for them.

Back