Dom Sheed's Grand Final Winner - The Most clutch in AFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

I was too pissed at the time to really take in how great a kick it was. I watched it again recently.... He absolutely nailed it, it never looked like missing.
Along with Twiggy Dunnes goal in 1977, the two best clutch goals in VFL/ AFL history.

Last edited:

you can't just break down the final moments of the 2009 grand final into 100 different clutch moments

lol, didn't need to, Bartel had 3 all on his own. Two goals to keep Geelong in it when it looked like the Pies were running away with it and then the sealer.

Doesn't really rival Sheed's though for the time in the game it was.

So just ignore the difficulty and ramifications of the kick then? OK.

The difficulty of the kick meant it was less likely that he'd kick it, so less perceived pressure. Put him 30/40m out directly in front, when everyone in the country would expect and AFL standard player to be able to kick it then it's a whole different ball game.

Would depend on his own internal expectations and how much pressure he placed on himself.

In the end, he really had nothing to lose with the kick because of the difficulty.

Every single Eagles fan wanted to see him kick it, I'd be interested to know, how many truthfully thought he would.

Scarlett's toe poke. If he ****ed it up and Dawson got it going the other way, Geelong were in all sorts of trouble. He first had to sum up the situation, decided what he was going to do, then execute, all in a fraction of a second.

The difficulty of the kick meant it was less likely that he'd kick it, so less perceived pressure. Put him 30/40m out directly in front, when everyone in the country would expect and AFL standard player to be able to kick it then it's a whole different ball game.

Would depend on his own internal expectations and how much pressure he placed on himself.

In the end, he really had nothing to lose with the kick because of the difficulty.

Every single Eagles fan wanted to see him kick it, I'd be interested to know, how many truthfully thought he would.
Yeah nothing to lose really, just a Grand Final.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scarlett's toe poke. If he ****** it up and Dawson got it going the other way, Geelong were in all sorts of trouble. He first had to sum up the situation, decided what he was going to do, then execute, all in a fraction of a second.
The toe poke was great. Hardly what you'd call a clutch effort though. Just a moment of brilliance.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another reason why Sheed was so brilliant was because had Gaff not gotten himself suspended, he'd have not played and there was no guarantee that Gaff would reproduce what Sheed did in the grand final. Sheed was second BOG behind Shuey imo.
Agreed. Sheeds September was great

ridiculous!
He took the decision to go back and have the shot, thus putting the pressure and responsibility squarely on his own shoulders. If he had missed many would`ve been filthy at the time that he didn`t square the ball into the centre or look for an option to pass.

The difficulty of the shot only enhances how bloody good of a finish it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett's kick after the siren was harder to miss than score.
ridiculous!
He took the decision to go back and have the shot, thus putting the pressure and responsibility squarely on his own shoulders. If he had missed many would`ve been filthy at the time that he didn`t square the ball into the centre or look for an option to pass.

These blokes are having a laugh. They're kidding themselves. Sadly, they believe the far fetched nonsense they've dished up.

ridiculous!

Add to that the fact that he chose to go old school with a lovely drop punt!

Imagine if Collingwood had goaled after Darling dropped that mark. Sheed would’ve been within his rights to being the plane down over the Nullarbor.
If Collingwood had goaled after Darling dropped it, then this thread title would have read the biggest choke in AFL history. He literally would have cost them a flag.

Thats everything pretty much.

People cant just say "Wow that was good. Good on him"

It has to he "meh ..... was better"

No they’re not, they’re just pointing out similar if not better instances.

Sheeds was amazing, especially as he’ll probably be playing twos with Gaff back in.

But how it got to that given that the weagles controlled the game from the 25min mark, Q1 is amazing, but they did thank god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here is some alternative, non-broadcast footage of the goal I've dug up on YouTube (previously posted in other relevant threads):

This one’s my favourite, captured from almost the same spot as Channel 7’s camera but it shows the bays of Eagles supporters jumping up and if you turn it up you can really hear the roar (unlike in Channel 7’s ridiculously quiet coverage):

This one was filmed from the other side of the MCG:

This one shows the last 5 minutes, filmed from a pro-Collingwood bay on centre wing. Features Pies supporters’ disbelief:

This one was filmed by some kid sitting on the top deck with Dom Sheed kicking towards him:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back