Toast The Positive thread: now with 2020 vision

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Tell you what I’m positive about:

We are back. The night was darkest before the dawn.

Moments of waking with excitement about the footy are nigh. “You beauty we are playing today.” Walking in to the ground hugging your loved one and having that confident smile. Buying the papers the day after the game so we can immerse ourselves in the aftermath of a win.

I’m an old man now. I was young once. When we were kings. When others feared us. I have watched many a false dawn come and go. I’ve allowed myself faux excitement at recruiting Steven Browne and Denis Armfield. We had nothing. We’ve had nothing. For so so long. We have brought in a congaline of duds. We seemed to take great joy in picking guys with insurmountable flaws- kicking SO bad they couldn’t play. Fumbling (tempted to name names but won’t).

Look at this list. Really look at it. See the signs. I personally love the saying “opportunity doesnt knock, it whispers”.

Well the whispers are there. In full force. There are no duds on the list any more. Like none. The players are CLEARLY fit now, finally. We have a squad of good characters. We had a huge hole in the midfield and we brought in SPs, Fisher, Dow, Kennedy, O’Brien, Walsh Stocker and Setters in no time. Our backline is overflowing with options. Our forwards are now a triple threat.

We are back. We don’t need to wait. And we have on our list now the guy who will go down as the greatest Carlton player of all time. No pressure Sammy. But you’ve got IT. I see you kid. I’ve been watching juniors for a LONG time. You’re going to walk straight in and play at the highest standard.....and then improve.

I’ve never been this excited. I will not be swayed. Go buy a membership. Buy a footy jumper. Put 18 on the back. Get the old swagger back and ******* get into it.

As other supporters hang s**t on you....pause. Don’t retaliate. Dont defend. Don’t think of a quick response or smart arse reply. Just.....smile. You know the one. The “if you say so” smile. Which really means “I know something you don’t.” And turn and walk away.

You’ll feel the fear as they gulp, and think soberly to themselves:

“oh s**t, they ARE ******* back”

:'(:):thumbsu:

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Tell you what I’m positive about:

We are back. The night was darkest before the dawn.

Moments of waking with excitement about the footy are nigh. “You beauty we are playing today.” Walking in to the ground hugging your loved one and having that confident smile. Buying the papers the day after the game so we can immerse ourselves in the aftermath of a win.

I’m an old man now. I was young once. When we were kings. When others feared us. I have watched many a false dawn come and go. I’ve allowed myself faux excitement at recruiting Steven Browne and Denis Armfield. We had nothing. We’ve had nothing. For so so long. We have brought in a congaline of duds. We seemed to take great joy in picking guys with insurmountable flaws- kicking SO bad they couldn’t play. Fumbling (tempted to name names but won’t).

Look at this list. Really look at it. See the signs. I personally love the saying “opportunity doesnt knock, it whispers”.

Well the whispers are there. In full force. There are no duds on the list any more. Like none. The players are CLEARLY fit now, finally. We have a squad of good characters. We had a huge hole in the midfield and we brought in SPs, Fisher, Dow, Kennedy, O’Brien, Walsh Stocker and Setters in no time. Our backline is overflowing with options. Our forwards are now a triple threat.

We are back. We don’t need to wait. And we have on our list now the guy who will go down as the greatest Carlton player of all time. No pressure Sammy. But you’ve got IT. I see you kid. I’ve been watching juniors for a LONG time. You’re going to walk straight in and play at the highest standard.....and then improve.

I’ve never been this excited. I will not be swayed. Go buy a membership. Buy a footy jumper. Put 18 on the back. Get the old swagger back and ******* get into it.

As other supporters hang s**t on you....pause. Don’t retaliate. Dont defend. Don’t think of a quick response or smart arse reply. Just.....smile. You know the one. The “if you say so” smile. Which really means “I know something you don’t.” And turn and walk away.

You’ll feel the fear as they gulp, and think soberly to themselves:

“oh s**t, they ARE ******* back”

Thought you were talking about Cripps until I got to "Sammy".

If Cripps keeps up his current output he will genuinely give carltons GOAT a shake.

Multiple club BnFs to come. Maybe a Brownlow or two, and hopefully Captain of a few flags.

The captain who will drag us out of the darkness.

resolute_blue

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers

Lets not forget about this bloke either ….

Awesome highlights package - McGovern must be rapt to instead be lining up next to big H in our forward line next year!

He moves so well does H, loved the goal where he sold the dummy and ran past the GWS defenders (7:10) and dribbles through the goal.

Big H, Charlie and McGovern should cause serious headaches for opposition defenders and match committee. :thumbsu:

Awesome highlights package - McGovern must be rapt to instead be lining up next to big H in our forward line next year!

He moves so well does H, loved the goal where he sold the dummy and ran past the GWS defenders (7:10) and dribbles through the goal.

Big H, Charlie and McGovern should cause serious headaches for opposition defenders and match committee. :thumbsu:

He is one of those cheeky self entitled campaigners that bolts needs to keep ego in check …. but living with the twitter fall out ….

*Insert media* : when you gunna play harry …

*Bolts: when he has improved his game ..

1 week later :

*Insert media*: When you gunna play Harry??? Is he injured?

Bolts: He has aspects of his game that needs improving ……

*media*: But you just got flogged by 1 gazzilion points …….??

Bolts: And? He has areas that needs improving.

2 weeks later :

**Insert media** : Harry just kicked 90 goals in the VFL …. why won't you promote him?

Bolts: FFS ok …

3 weeks later :

*Insert Media* Bolts your team just got hammered by googleplex …. why wont you play Harry?? Errrr …. our bad he kicked 3 goals …..

Bolts : YOU (^&**^&&^&^ CAMPAIGNER campaigners *&^&*(%*&%&*%^*%&*%*%*&^^% ………… he still needs to work on leading patterns and defensive set ups ……

FML

resolute_blue

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
He is one of those cheeky self entitled campaigners that bolts needs to keep ego in check …. but living with the twitter fall out ….

*Insert media* : when you gunna play harry …

*Bolts: when he has improved his game ..

1 week later :

*Insert media*: When you gunna play Harry??? Is he injured?

Bolts: He has aspects of his game that needs improving ……

*media*: But you just got flogged by 1 gazzilion points …….??

Bolts: And? He has areas that needs improving.

2 weeks later :

**Insert media** : Harry just kicked 90 goals in the VFL …. why won't you promote him?

Bolts: FFS ok …

3 weeks later :

*Insert Media* Bolts your team just got hammered by googleplex …. why wont you play Harry?? Errrr …. our bad he kicked 3 goals …..

Bolts : YOU (^&**^&&^&^ CAMPAIGNER campaigners *&^&*(%*&%&*%^*%&*%*%*&^^% ………… he still needs to work on leading patterns and defensive set ups ……

FML

Haha, definitely how it was this year.

Hope next year Bolts plays him unless injured. Helps to build that ‘cohesion’ we need to develop now we’ve reset the list.

at least on bf you can't get into relationship ending trouble when the wrong post goes to the wrong place...........

Although Aph could book you on a don't come Monday flight though …….

Back