4x All Australian team
Australia Football Hall of Fame

f159f7bc2858deff993cccbc76a256796c87d1b5

Sam Mitchell

4x AFL Premierships
329 Games
1x Brownlow Medal
3x All Australian team

Out of the two which was the better player?

Last edited:
Both great on both feet, can't split them, people will vote Aker due to his x-factor and excitement. Mitchell is the most reliable player i have ever seen play and i always felt safe when he had the ball, rarely made a mistake. Bias says Mitchell but i loved Aker although he was a little bit of a fruit loop at times. Both stars of the game!

Very tough one indeed. No wrong answers here, both brilliant.
Mitchell had on-field `smarts`the likes of which I dont think anyone else has had.
Aker did freakish things so often that you knew none were flukes.

Even though aker will be remembered as a bulldog player, sam Mitchell easily.

Aker's finals performances was generally poor with only a few standout performances. His finals campaign for the dogs between 08-10 was diabolical.

Huh? Aker was 30yo when he first pulled the boots on for the Bulldogs. Won’t be remembered as a Bulldog and surely won’t be judged on the handful of finals he played there in his twilight.

Aker kicked 11.7 in 4 GF’s. He went just fine.

Very tough one indeed. No wrong answers here, both brilliant.
Mitchell had on-field `smarts`the likes of which I dont think anyone else has had.
Aker did freakish things so often that you knew none were flukes.

Mitchell smarts not since Leigh Matthews. Matthews was truly phenomenal to watch. Fat plodder who was always exactly where the ball was, or the ball was going. Great off the half back line, incredible in the middle, and the best small forward of all time.

If you want reliability and someone who can make every single player on his team better, its Mitchell. Also a fat plodder, yet almost never tackled, ever.

If you want freakish skills and to be left in awe and dumbstruck, then Aker. He was the polish to the Brisbane workhorse engine.

I guess in hindsight I should've made the poll Mitchell vs Voss, Matthews or Barassi. But this is still a pretty good comparison of two very equivalent yet different players.

Aker's finals performances was generally poor with only a few standout performances. His finals campaign for the dogs between 08-10 was diabolical.

Aker won 3 flags and a Brownlow with Brisbane but will be remembered as a Bulldogs player?

SMH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would most certainly put up the argument that Sam Mitchell was far more central a component & vital a cog in landing Hawthorn it's 4 Premierships, than what Acker was at Brisbane.

Acker was the cream on the cake for the hard work of Voss, Black, Power & others.....But Sammy was THE pivotal player of the Hawks golden run.....His finals record speaks for itself & is second to none in the storied history of the Hawthorn annals.

That's as clear a measure as you'll get on this one.

Which player was more important a cog for their side?.....Easy....Sam Mitchell by a mile.

Aker is the one you’d pay to watch but Mitchell was a genius in his own right. I went Mitchell but it’s a close call.

Mitchell, by the length of The Flemington Straight. Akermanis was a vastly overrated tool. Can't remember Mitchell ever playing a bad game, whereas I recall Aker packed plenty of them, especially during the last 5 years of his career.

Nigel Lappin was a better player than Aker (for example) and never got the due recognition his career deserved.

Mitchell, by the length of The Flemington Straight. Akermanis was a vastly overrated tool. Can't remember Mitchell ever playing a bad game, whereas I recall Aker packed plenty of them, especially during the last 5 years of his career.

Nigel Lappin was a better player than Aker (for example) and never got the due recognition his career deserved.

Going to have to catergoricaly disagree with that statement. Aker was a knob at times, and yep his last bit at brissy and his time at the dogs wasnt anything amazing, but between 2000-05 he was one of the best players going around on his day. Plus when he was "on" he did things with the footy virtually nobody else on his team could.

Mitchell probably. Played in the more important area of the ground for his side. Aker was a great player but never really played in a pivotal position over his career.

He will always be remembered as a champion Lion......he was only a Bulldog for 5mins of his career, an easily forgotten time.:rolleyes:

Hehe so many bites. Barry hall will be remembered as a bulldog too.

Akers was the better player over Mitchell but it’s close. May come down to whether you want a finisher or an extractor. Neither operates well without the other

Hehe so many bites. Barry hall will be remembered as a bulldog too.

Akers was the better player over Mitchell but it’s close. May come down to whether you want a finisher or an extractor. Neither operates well without the other

The best engine room gun of his generation, over a show-pony every day of the week.

The thread title is far too open-ended & ambiguous.....Though it is by a known Hawk troll, so it's pretty well what you'd come to expect.

The best engine room gun of his generation, over a show-pony every day of the week.

The thread title is far too open-ended & ambiguous.....Though it is by a known Hawk troll, so it's pretty well what you'd come to expect.

Akermanis was a show pony in personality, but he was far more than that in actuality. You are selling him short

Both great on both feet, can't split them, people will vote Aker due to his x-factor and excitement.

no offense but the bulk of people voting will do so because Akermanis was on another level entirely to Sam Mitchell.
He was a match-winning high stakes performer.

Sam Mitchell is a lot closer to the class of Scott Pendlebury.

Akermanis stood out in a midfield that had Black, Voss, Lappin and Power. Three of which would be walk up starters overtaking any starting midfielder of Hawthorn's team 2008-2015.

no offense but the bulk of people voting will do so because Akermanis was on another level entirely to Sam Mitchell.
He was a match-winning high stakes performer.

Sam Mitchell is a lot closer to the class of Scott Pendlebury.

Akermanis stood out in a midfield that had Black, Voss, Lappin and Power. Three of which would be walk up starters overtaking any starting midfielder of Hawthorn's team 2008-2015.

A bit like how Cyril stood out from a champion midfield comprising Mitchell, Sewell, Hodge, Lewis & Burgoyne.....So by that reasoning Cyril is a better player than Sam Mitchell too.....I expect that now you can see the point I'm making about what 'better player' means & how utterly equivocal it is in it's use in the O/P.

To say Lappin is a better player than any of Hodge, Mitchell or Burgoyne is laughable in extremis!....Lappin was an outside player & is more comparable to Isaac Smith than any other Hawk......Finally 4 Premierships >>>3....There's another nice measure of which midfield was the superior one.

Your post is a clear troll

Back